Microsoft Software Development Engineer I Interview Questions

Written :
1. Objective
2. Subjective
Interviews (three rounds)
1. Technical (45 mints to one hour)
2. Technical (45 mints to one hour)
3. HR
C,C++,Data structures, few general aptitude
Some thing like
1. Output of small code snippets
2. Comparing two code snippets and guess which code runs fast
3. Shift operations (at least 2 to 3 questions)
4. Tree traveling’s (given pre order and predict post order kind of things)
5. Graphs
6. Linked lists (al least 2 questions for sure)
7. String manipulations

3. Straights and weaknesses
4. What you did to overcome your weakness

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer I Interview

College campus hiring. 3 interviews. 2 basic coding. 1 design. No HR.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

Written test followed by 3 rounds

Interview Questions
    • Mostly there were problem solving questions and questions depending on your resume. I recall the following questions:

1. Given a linked list containing 0s and 1s rearrange it so that all 0s come before 1s..... O(n)

2. Given a binary tree find the max diameter and the two end nodes of it.

3. Delete the kth node from end of a linked list (single pass)

There were some more.. That I don't recall.

I work in NLP and ML. So they asked a lot of questions regarding my project and internships. So prepare your resume well..

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai

interviewed at Microsoft in July 2012.

Microsoft
    24-07-2012 Round 1
    30 quans + 20 programming aps 1 hr (online)
    25-07-2012 Round 2
    3 programs (online):
    1. Enumerate the given String to Ascending order without repetition.
    Input : accommodate
    Output : acdemot
    2. Given a sorted array in which a part of the sub-array is reversed. Fix it.
    Input : 1,2,3,4,7,6,5,8,9
    Output : 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
    3. Sorted Doubly Linked List to BST.
    25-07-2012 Round 3
    3 programs (written):
    1. Given an array and a number N, say whether there are tuples with difference equal to N.
    2. Insertion in Sorted circular singly linked list.
    3. Given a node in a BST print the leftmost node in the same level of the given node.
    30-07-2012 Round 4
    2 programs (written):
    1. Given a linked list with a next ptr and an arbitrary ptr, Clone it.
    2. Decimal to Hexadecimal Conversion.
    Hereafter all rounds are face-face with HR….
    30-07-2012 Round 5 (OS)
    1. Problem related Swap space management.
    2. Thrashing.
    3. Multi-threading concept.
    4. Code using Semaphores.
    5. Test cases for the above code(using diagram) and explanation.
    And finally abt “Final Year Project”
    30-07-2012 Round 6
    1. Given a BST with 2 node values swapped. Find and fix it.. (Note: Include all the test cases)
    2. Keyboard inputs are given one by one. After getting the 10th input, print all the inputs in reverse.
    3. Intersection point of Two Linked Lists.
    30-07-2012 Round 7
    1. Given a graph and two nodes, find the number of distinct path between those two nodes.
    30-07-2012 Round 8
    1. Majority element in an array. (Given array of length n, Find whether an element in the array occurs atleast n/2 times)

Interview Questions
    • The interview was over and he said that I did well and I was most likely to be hired. I was very happy
      and in ten minutes the HR said that I was selected :)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2012.

A recruiter reached me via linkedin and scheduled a f2f interview two days later in a hotel. Had five rounds of technical discussion (each 1 hour) and they told there may be one more round (may be technical). 1week later they scheduled a video call with a director (but it was actually an audio only with screen sharing). We talked about some design level ideas then he asked a technical question. I was running into trouble to setup the video call because I'd a mac (hope you understand because the video call tool was developed by MS).

Interview Questions
    • Imagine there are n cities (say c1, c2....cn) connected circularly and each of them has a petrol bunk (say p1,p2...pn). The distance between each cities are d1, d2...dn. Here 1unit of petrol will be used to travel 1unit of distance. You can start from any city so that you can go through all of them and reach the same location (city). Find from where we've to begin the navigation.
      FOR EXAMPLE:
      c1-->c2-->c3-->c1
      p1 has 2ltr
      p2 has 10ltr
      p3 has 4ltr

and the distance between each cities:
      c1<-->c2: 3
      c2<-->c3: 2
      c3<-->c1: 8

Here we've to start at c2 in-order to come back again to the same place.

Explain the logic to find whether u can come back to the same location. Find where to start. Write a program for the same. Write test cases for the same.
        View Answer
    • You're converting a string (s1) into another (s2) by changing the characters in s1. You can do add/delete/replace the characters of s1 to get s2. The cost of any of those operation for a character is 1. Find the minimum cost to convert s1 into s2. Write program and test cases for the same.
      For example: Convert "Hi" into "Hey". This would require minimum two cost.
      1. Replace 'i' with 'e' in s1
      2. Add 'y' to s1.
      Now we've s2.
        View Answer
    • Write a program to iterate through a 2D grid in a spiral way. Since I can't attach images here, I'll explain it using an array. Imagine you've a nxm matrix of bytes. you've iterate through it in a spiral way. It means, iterate the first row (left to right), then iterate through the right most column (top-bottom) then iterate the bottom most row (right-left) until you reach the center of the matrix. Hope its clear now.   View Answer
    • You've a singly linked list where every node in the list has a field "random" which points to other node in the same list. Write a function to clone this list (create a new copy of the same). Don't use extra space (just the pointer variables are fine).   View Answers (3)
    • Some other standard questions:
      1. Given a BST and a range, print all the numbers that comes in that range.
      Ex: the function will be something like: print(node * head, int x, int y);
      It has to print all numbers within the rage x&y
      2. Print max height (level) of a binary search tree.
      3. Given an array of integers, determine the sub array which makes max sum.
      4. Find LCA of the binary search tree.
        View Answer

Salary was less. They were just matching my CTC and it required relocation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allahabad
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allahabad

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2011.

2-3 elimination rounds followed by a final manager round. General algorithm questions asked in elimination rounds followed by a possible design round and some OS/compiler related theoretical questions.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I submitted my resume via an on-campus recruiting event for summer internships (and full time) and got an email to schedule a 30 minute interview within ~2 weeks. The next step is on-site interviews at Seattle.

Interview Questions
    • There was only one technical question: Insert a node, say x, into a sorted circular linked list given only any random node as a parameter.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer I Interview

45 minute campus interview with an engineer. If you pass the first, you'll be invited for a second, then usually flown to Seattle for further interviews if you pass the second.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Applied through University career fair.
    Got call after 2 to 3 week for an interview in the university

Interview Questions
    • there was nothing difficult.
      First i was asked about my technical project and my ideas that i implemented in those projects and how it helped the overall outcome.

Rest was technical
      1 Convert String to Integer and test it.
      2. Array and Linked list complexities. Their advantages and disadvantages.
      3. Algorithm for tic-toke

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

I had an on-campus interview where I met with an engineer from the company. We went over 3 questions during the interview and then he mentioned that I would hear from someone in regard to moving forward. 2 weeks later, I heard that I made the final round and arranged a flight to WA. The final interview consisted of 5 interviews with different groups.