Microsoft

Interview Details Written :
1. Objective
2. Subjective
Interviews (three rounds)
1. Technical (45 mints to one hour)
2. Technical (45 mints to one hour)
3. HR
C,C++,Data structures, few general aptitude
Some thing like
1. Output of small code snippets
2. Comparing two code snippets and guess which code runs fast
3. Shift operations (at least 2 to 3 questions)
4. Tree traveling’s (given pre order and predict post order kind of things)
5. Graphs
6. Linked lists (al least 2 questions for sure)
7. String manipulations

3. Straights and weaknesses
4. What you did to overcome your weakness

Interview Question – lca of binary tree   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details College campus hiring. 3 interviews. 2 basic coding. 1 design. No HR.

Bangalore

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Written test followed by 3 rounds

Interview Question – Mostly there were problem solving questions and questions depending on your resume. I recall the following questions:

1. Given a linked list containing 0s and 1s rearrange it so that all 0s come before 1s..... O(n)

2. Given a binary tree find the max diameter and the two end nodes of it.

3. Delete the kth node from end of a linked list (single pass)

There were some more.. That I don't recall.

I work in NLP and ML. So they asked a lot of questions regarding my project and internships. So prepare your resume well..
  Answer Question

Allahabad

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2011.

Interview Details 2-3 elimination rounds followed by a final manager round. General algorithm questions asked in elimination rounds followed by a possible design round and some OS/compiler related theoretical questions.

Hyderābād

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2012.

Interview Details A recruiter reached me via linkedin and scheduled a f2f interview two days later in a hotel. Had five rounds of technical discussion (each 1 hour) and they told there may be one more round (may be technical). 1week later they scheduled a video call with a director (but it was actually an audio only with screen sharing). We talked about some design level ideas then he asked a technical question. I was running into trouble to setup the video call because I'd a mac (hope you understand because the video call tool was developed by MS).

Interview Questions

• Imagine there are n cities (say c1, c2....cn) connected circularly and each of them has a petrol bunk (say p1,p2...pn). The distance between each cities are d1, d2...dn. Here 1unit of petrol will be used to travel 1unit of distance. You can start from any city so that you can go through all of them and reach the same location (city). Find from where we've to begin the navigation.
    FOR EXAMPLE:
    c1-->c2-->c3-->c1
    p1 has 2ltr
    p2 has 10ltr
    p3 has 4ltr

and the distance between each cities:
    c1<-->c2: 3
    c2<-->c3: 2
    c3<-->c1: 8

Here we've to start at c2 in-order to come back again to the same place.

Explain the logic to find whether u can come back to the same location. Find where to start. Write a program for the same. Write test cases for the same.
      View Answer
  • You're converting a string (s1) into another (s2) by changing the characters in s1. You can do add/delete/replace the characters of s1 to get s2. The cost of any of those operation for a character is 1. Find the minimum cost to convert s1 into s2. Write program and test cases for the same.
    For example: Convert "Hi" into "Hey". This would require minimum two cost.
    1. Replace 'i' with 'e' in s1
    2. Add 'y' to s1.
    Now we've s2.
      View Answer
  • Write a program to iterate through a 2D grid in a spiral way. Since I can't attach images here, I'll explain it using an array. Imagine you've a nxm matrix of bytes. you've iterate through it in a spiral way. It means, iterate the first row (left to right), then iterate through the right most column (top-bottom) then iterate the bottom most row (right-left) until you reach the center of the matrix. Hope its clear now.   View Answer
  • You've a singly linked list where every node in the list has a field "random" which points to other node in the same list. Write a function to clone this list (create a new copy of the same). Don't use extra space (just the pointer variables are fine).   View Answers (3)
  • Some other standard questions:
    1. Given a BST and a range, print all the numbers that comes in that range.
    Ex: the function will be something like: print(node * head, int x, int y);
    It has to print all numbers within the rage x&y
    2. Print max height (level) of a binary search tree.
    3. Given an array of integers, determine the sub array which makes max sum.
    4. Find LCA of the binary search tree.
      View Answer

Reason for Declining – Salary was less. They were just matching my CTC and it required relocation.

Chennai

I interviewed at Microsoft in July 2012.

Interview Details Microsoft
24-07-2012 Round 1
30 quans + 20 programming aps 1 hr (online)
25-07-2012 Round 2
3 programs (online):
1. Enumerate the given String to Ascending order without repetition.
Input : accommodate
Output : acdemot
2. Given a sorted array in which a part of the sub-array is reversed. Fix it.
Input : 1,2,3,4,7,6,5,8,9
Output : 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
3. Sorted Doubly Linked List to BST.
25-07-2012 Round 3
3 programs (written):
1. Given an array and a number N, say whether there are tuples with difference equal to N.
2. Insertion in Sorted circular singly linked list.
3. Given a node in a BST print the leftmost node in the same level of the given node.
30-07-2012 Round 4
2 programs (written):
1. Given a linked list with a next ptr and an arbitrary ptr, Clone it.
2. Decimal to Hexadecimal Conversion.
Hereafter all rounds are face-face with HR….
30-07-2012 Round 5 (OS)
1. Problem related Swap space management.
2. Thrashing.
3. Multi-threading concept.
4. Code using Semaphores.
5. Test cases for the above code(using diagram) and explanation.
And finally abt “Final Year Project”
30-07-2012 Round 6
1. Given a BST with 2 node values swapped. Find and fix it.. (Note: Include all the test cases)
2. Keyboard inputs are given one by one. After getting the 10th input, print all the inputs in reverse.
3. Intersection point of Two Linked Lists.
30-07-2012 Round 7
1. Given a graph and two nodes, find the number of distinct path between those two nodes.
30-07-2012 Round 8
1. Majority element in an array. (Given array of length n, Find whether an element in the array occurs atleast n/2 times)

Interview Question – The interview was over and he said that I did well and I was most likely to be hired. I was very happy
and in ten minutes the HR said that I was selected :)
  Answer Question

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2013.

Interview Details It was surprisingly easy and clean. Had an on campus filtering interview followed by a day of interviews on-site at Seattle which came within a week. The results were communicated back in less than 48 hours. They do coax you to accept the job and push you to make a decision quickly, which I think is reasonable.

Interview Question – Very predictable. Lots of coding questions and the bar raiser being a Dynamic programming question   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations since I was a fresher and I didn't have any competing job offers at that time.

Software Development Engineer I

I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details I am respecting the process, but my experience was that I got an on-campus interview, 45 min. Went well enough. I got contacted the next day that I would have another round of interviews, which turned out to be scheduled for the following morning at 8 am, where I had two 45 min interviews back to back on-campus. I thought it was an interesting process that didn't leave a lot of time to prepare

Interview Question – Study algorithms, prepare for problem solving questions   Answer Question

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Interview Details I had an on-campus interview where I met with an engineer from the company. We went over 3 questions during the interview and then he mentioned that I would hear from someone in regard to moving forward. 2 weeks later, I heard that I made the final round and arranged a flight to WA. The final interview consisted of 5 interviews with different groups.

Interview Question – I was asked about C small details   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details 45 minute campus interview with an engineer. If you pass the first, you'll be invited for a second, then usually flown to Seattle for further interviews if you pass the second.

Interview Question – Involved knowing a bit of number theory.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Software Development Engineer I interview questions and advice. All 23 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.