Microsoft Software Development Engineer II Interview Questions

Updated Aug 12, 2014

3.4

45 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2011.

Communicated at the last minute (with a day to prepare) for a full day interview at their offices. The people were very organized and the interviews went smoothly, with the recruiter giving feedback throughout the process. The offer was rolled out on the same day, which was surprising.

Interview Questions
Yes. Try to negotiate fora better base pay than a joining bonus.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer II Interview

First round of interview was telephonic. Interviewer asked me these questions
    1. Why do you want to join Microsoft
    2. How do you check if two linked lists meet or not.
    3. How do you find common node of a lined list.
    4. What is the complexity of the algorithm that you have applied to solve this question.

Interview Questions
    • Interview was simple. There were no unexpected question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

Interview 1

1) You have a c style string containing some spaces. Move the spaces to the starting of the string. Do it in place in one iteration.
    2) You have a bit pattern and an infinite stream of bits coming in. You need to raise an alarm whenever the given pattern comes. Storing the stream is not allowed.

Interview 2

1) You have an array of size N. Implement a queue using this.
    2) A sorted array has been rotated. You need to find out the point of inflexion, i.e the position at which the smallest element of the array is present.(I did this in log n time)
        For example if the array is [6,7,8,9,1,2,3,4,5], the output should be 4

Interview 3

1) You have a BST and int value(take it to be variable val). You need to print our all possible paths in the BST which sum to val, they may or may not start at the root.
    2) You are given a dictionary and two strings a and b. You need to convert the string a to b such that only one alphabet is changed at a time and after each change the transformed string is in the dictionary. You need to do this in the minimum number of transformations. For example the transformation from cat-->boy can be done as follows
         cat-->bat-->bot-->boy (if dictionary has bat and bot)

Interview 4
    1) You gave been given a tree(not binary, it can have any number of children) in an array. The ith entry of the array is the parent of the ith node. For the root node this entry is -1. You need to find the height of this tree(O(n) soln was asked for). For example the array [2,6,3,6,3,6,-1] represents the tree below. The height of the tree is 4(the path from 6 to 0)

/ | \
                                                      1 3 5
                                                      / \
                                                      2 4

Interview Questions
    • You are given an array of numbers. You need to print the length of the maximum continuous sequence that you encounter. For example if input is [3,8,10,1,9,6,5,7,2 ], the continuous sequences are{1,2,3} and {5,6,7,8,9,10} the latter is the longest one so the answer becomes 6. O(n) solution was asked for, assuming you have a hash map which supports O(1) insertion and fetching operations   View Answers (3)

Salary expectations not met

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Started with description of kind of work company does in Hyderabad. Had couple of discussions with HR and GM before interviewing.
    First there was a telephonic interview, completely technical in nature.
    After that hiring team visited Bangalore for in person intervies of seleted candidates.
    I had two technical rounds of in person and a discussion with hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked two questions. One was given an array of integers find triplets such that a^2 + b^2 = c^2.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2012.

Very professional in deciding the roles and teams as per candidates choice.

The recruiter gives detailed feedback for each interview and guides for the interviews to come.

Interview Questions
    • What is one thing that you will develop if given a chance to work for facebook?   View Answer

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2013.

I was contacted by a recruiter from Microsoft, who found my profile on LinkedIn. He sent me an online test for me to take, which I passed. Then his colleagues scheduled the on-site interview in Redmond, Washington.

The interviews went well. I had a good rapport with the four interviewers. Each interview consisted of a few minutes of information questions, followed by a coding question that you have to do on a whiteboard. I answered all but one of the coding questions correctly, as far as I could tell. No matter how much you prepare, a lot of it comes down to luck -- you never know how much a question can stump you, even if the interviewer is helping you. I did study and practice some questions before the interview, but I can't say that it really made much difference.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a question about hashing that required a clever solution that used bit shifting. I think the interviewer may have realized that it was too hard to give candidates a chance to demonstrate their skills.   View Answer
    No, I didn't try to negotiate, probably to my detriment. I wanted to leave my current job quite badly and would not have wanted Microsoft to call my bluff and stay at my previous employer.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2014.

4 tech interviews, detailed questions, game of life, matrices, design questions, hash table questions. Talked through what it means to be a developer, why you want to be a developer, what to expect etc.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Research Triangle Park, NC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2014.

The interview process first started with a recruiter who asked several questions about my current employment and what I was looking for in a job. She also gave me a high level description of the job.

Second, she arranged for a developer to call me to have a discussion which lasted in hour. During the conversation, the developer asked about my technical background and gave me 2 computer programs to write over the phone.

Next I heard from Microsoft that the phone interview went well, so they wanted to see me in person. A scheduler contacted me by email to setup the face to face interviews. The interview went from 12PM to 4PM.

I arrived at the reception and the first developer quickly took me to his office where he questioned me for 1 hour and asked me to solve a computer program on the board. I interviewed with two other developers in the same manner. I was supposed to interview with a manager, but he was on vacation

Interview Questions
    • Describe the most challenging problem you've had and how you solved it?   View Answer

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bellevue, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Standard hiring process: 1)Applied online, 2) 1 Phone Screen, 3) On site with 6 rounds of interviews. The On site experience was very pleasant, and all the interviewers were well prepared and made it look like a general discussion rather than a Q&A session. My only complaint is that the actual offer was delayed due to some internal re-organization. This delay of about 3 months made me really anxious. But my recruiter and Project manager were in constant touch which was a great help.

Interview Questions
    The offer was on par with my expectations and was able to bump up my sign on bonus a bit after negotiating.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2010.

Had two technical interview over the phone. Both technical interviews where challenging but doable. I had to write the code using a web application that allow both me and the interviwere to see what I was typing. After those interviews, I had one more in-person interview with the hiring manager, this interview was not technical, we talked mostly about business topics. .

Interview Questions
    • Write a program that multiply very large two matrix. Most of the numbers on each of the matrix are zeros (0). Must optimize for memory and speed.   View Answer
    I asked for a relocation package, which I was able to get. The negotiation were pleasant and professional.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!