Microsoft Software Development Engineer II Interview Questions

Updated 10 Apr 2015

3.3

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

It was one of the most professional recruitment process. It started with a telephonic round and then the remaining process happened at their Hyderabad campus. I had four interviews in total and the last one was with the Director of the unit.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult was to design round where i have to code and design a problem given by them.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Interview

First round of interview was telephonic. Interviewer asked me these questions
    1. Why do you want to join Microsoft
    2. How do you check if two linked lists meet or not.
    3. How do you find common node of a lined list.
    4. What is the complexity of the algorithm that you have applied to solve this question.

Interview Questions

• Interview was simple. There were no unexpected question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft (Bangalore) in December 2012.

Interview

Interview 1

1) You have a c style string containing some spaces. Move the spaces to the starting of the string. Do it in place in one iteration.
    2) You have a bit pattern and an infinite stream of bits coming in. You need to raise an alarm whenever the given pattern comes. Storing the stream is not allowed.

Interview 2

1) You have an array of size N. Implement a queue using this.
    2) A sorted array has been rotated. You need to find out the point of inflexion, i.e the position at which the smallest element of the array is present.(I did this in log n time)
        For example if the array is [6,7,8,9,1,2,3,4,5], the output should be 4

Interview 3

1) You have a BST and int value(take it to be variable val). You need to print our all possible paths in the BST which sum to val, they may or may not start at the root.
    2) You are given a dictionary and two strings a and b. You need to convert the string a to b such that only one alphabet is changed at a time and after each change the transformed string is in the dictionary. You need to do this in the minimum number of transformations. For example the transformation from cat-->boy can be done as follows
         cat-->bat-->bot-->boy (if dictionary has bat and bot)

Interview 4
    1) You gave been given a tree(not binary, it can have any number of children) in an array. The ith entry of the array is the parent of the ith node. For the root node this entry is -1. You need to find the height of this tree(O(n) soln was asked for). For example the array [2,6,3,6,3,6,-1] represents the tree below. The height of the tree is 4(the path from 6 to 0)

/ | \
                                                      1 3 5
                                                      / \
                                                      2 4

Interview Questions

• You are given an array of numbers. You need to print the length of the maximum continuous sequence that you encounter. For example if input is [3,8,10,1,9,6,5,7,2 ], the continuous sequences are{1,2,3} and {5,6,7,8,9,10} the latter is the longest one so the answer becomes 6. O(n) solution was asked for, assuming you have a hash map which supports O(1) insertion and fetching operations   3 Answers

Salary expectations not met

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Bangalore).

Interview

Started with description of kind of work company does in Hyderabad. Had couple of discussions with HR and GM before interviewing.
    First there was a telephonic interview, completely technical in nature.
    After that hiring team visited Bangalore for in person intervies of seleted candidates.
    I had two technical rounds of in person and a discussion with hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• I was asked two questions. One was given an array of integers find triplets such that a^2 + b^2 = c^2.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Bangalore) in July 2012.

Interview

Very professional in deciding the roles and teams as per candidates choice.

The recruiter gives detailed feedback for each interview and guides for the interviews to come.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing that you will develop if given a chance to work for facebook?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Bangalore) in February 2011.

Interview

Communicated at the last minute (with a day to prepare) for a full day interview at their offices. The people were very organized and the interviews went smoothly, with the recruiter giving feedback throughout the process. The offer was rolled out on the same day, which was surprising.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Yes. Try to negotiate fora better base pay than a joining bonus.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

I had one phone interview that wasn't too bad!

Question:
    1. One with difficulty like implement strncmp or strcat, etc...
    2. One that seemed easy but with a twist.

Onsite:
    4 interviews in total

Questions:
    Know your algos and data structures and you will be fine. Interviewers are comfortable and give tips to help!

Didn't do well on my last interview, which I think was the deciding factor for me to not get hired.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

one online round and 4 in house rounds (2 algorithms, 1 straight up coding and 1 behavioral/senior). got a offer confirmation the day of the interview - which was surprisingly fast and delightful ! Team - Azure AD.
    Had a telephonic conversation with team manager in under a week, and was a really good positive overall experience.
    The offer though was slightly lower than what I was currently making but I would have saved more if i moved to seattle - but the benefits were pretty neat. I ended up declining the offer due to a compensation mismatch.

Interview Questions

• the usual algo/coding questions. try careercup / geeksforgeeks.org / etc.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in July 2014.

Interview

4 tech interviews, detailed questions, game of life, matrices, design questions, hash table questions. Talked through what it means to be a developer, why you want to be a developer, what to expect etc.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Research Triangle Park, NC (US)) in June 2014.

Interview

The interview process first started with a recruiter who asked several questions about my current employment and what I was looking for in a job. She also gave me a high level description of the job.

Second, she arranged for a developer to call me to have a discussion which lasted in hour. During the conversation, the developer asked about my technical background and gave me 2 computer programs to write over the phone.

Next I heard from Microsoft that the phone interview went well, so they wanted to see me in person. A scheduler contacted me by email to setup the face to face interviews. The interview went from 12PM to 4PM.

I arrived at the reception and the first developer quickly took me to his office where he questioned me for 1 hour and asked me to solve a computer program on the board. I interviewed with two other developers in the same manner. I was supposed to interview with a manager, but he was on vacation

Interview Questions

• Describe the most challenging problem you've had and how you solved it?   1 Answer