Microsoft

Average Difficulty
44 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Bangalore

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2011.

Interview Details Communicated at the last minute (with a day to prepare) for a full day interview at their offices. The people were very organized and the interviews went smoothly, with the recruiter giving feedback throughout the process. The offer was rolled out on the same day, which was surprising.

Interview Question – Standard questions on algos, DS and design.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes. Try to negotiate fora better base pay than a joining bonus.

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details First round of interview was telephonic. Interviewer asked me these questions
1. Why do you want to join Microsoft
2. How do you check if two linked lists meet or not.
3. How do you find common node of a lined list.
4. What is the complexity of the algorithm that you have applied to solve this question.

Interview Question – Interview was simple. There were no unexpected question.   Answer Question

Bangalore

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

Interview Details Interview 1

1) You have a c style string containing some spaces. Move the spaces to the starting of the string. Do it in place in one iteration.
2) You have a bit pattern and an infinite stream of bits coming in. You need to raise an alarm whenever the given pattern comes. Storing the stream is not allowed.

Interview 2

1) You have an array of size N. Implement a queue using this.
2) A sorted array has been rotated. You need to find out the point of inflexion, i.e the position at which the smallest element of the array is present.(I did this in log n time)
    For example if the array is [6,7,8,9,1,2,3,4,5], the output should be 4

Interview 3

1) You have a BST and int value(take it to be variable val). You need to print our all possible paths in the BST which sum to val, they may or may not start at the root.
2) You are given a dictionary and two strings a and b. You need to convert the string a to b such that only one alphabet is changed at a time and after each change the transformed string is in the dictionary. You need to do this in the minimum number of transformations. For example the transformation from cat-->boy can be done as follows
     cat-->bat-->bot-->boy (if dictionary has bat and bot)

Interview 4
1) You gave been given a tree(not binary, it can have any number of children) in an array. The ith entry of the array is the parent of the ith node. For the root node this entry is -1. You need to find the height of this tree(O(n) soln was asked for). For example the array [2,6,3,6,3,6,-1] represents the tree below. The height of the tree is 4(the path from 6 to 0)

/ | \
                                                  1 3 5
                                                  / \
                                                  2 4

Interview Question – You are given an array of numbers. You need to print the length of the maximum continuous sequence that you encounter. For example if input is [3,8,10,1,9,6,5,7,2 ], the continuous sequences are{1,2,3} and {5,6,7,8,9,10} the latter is the longest one so the answer becomes 6. O(n) solution was asked for, assuming you have a hash map which supports O(1) insertion and fetching operations   View Answers (3)

Reason for Declining – Salary expectations not met

Bangalore

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Started with description of kind of work company does in Hyderabad. Had couple of discussions with HR and GM before interviewing.
First there was a telephonic interview, completely technical in nature.
After that hiring team visited Bangalore for in person intervies of seleted candidates.
I had two technical rounds of in person and a discussion with hiring manager.

Interview Question – I was asked two questions. One was given an array of integers find triplets such that a^2 + b^2 = c^2.   View Answer

Bangalore

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2012.

Interview Details Very professional in deciding the roles and teams as per candidates choice.

The recruiter gives detailed feedback for each interview and guides for the interviews to come.

Interview Question – What is one thing that you will develop if given a chance to work for facebook?   View Answer

Software Development Engineer II

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2014.

Interview Details 4 tech interviews, detailed questions, game of life, matrices, design questions, hash table questions. Talked through what it means to be a developer, why you want to be a developer, what to expect etc.

Interview Question – moving pixels in MxM image over time.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II
Research Triangle Park, NC (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2014.

Interview Details The interview process first started with a recruiter who asked several questions about my current employment and what I was looking for in a job. She also gave me a high level description of the job.

Second, she arranged for a developer to call me to have a discussion which lasted in hour. During the conversation, the developer asked about my technical background and gave me 2 computer programs to write over the phone.

Next I heard from Microsoft that the phone interview went well, so they wanted to see me in person. A scheduler contacted me by email to setup the face to face interviews. The interview went from 12PM to 4PM.

I arrived at the reception and the first developer quickly took me to his office where he questioned me for 1 hour and asked me to solve a computer program on the board. I interviewed with two other developers in the same manner. I was supposed to interview with a manager, but he was on vacation

Interview Question – Describe the most challenging problem you've had and how you solved it?   View Answer

Bellevue, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Interview Details Standard hiring process: 1)Applied online, 2) 1 Phone Screen, 3) On site with 6 rounds of interviews. The On site experience was very pleasant, and all the interviewers were well prepared and made it look like a general discussion rather than a Q&A session. My only complaint is that the actual offer was delayed due to some internal re-organization. This delay of about 3 months made me really anxious. But my recruiter and Project manager were in constant touch which was a great help.

Interview Question – Standard algorithm based questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was on par with my expectations and was able to bump up my sign on bonus a bit after negotiating.

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2010.

Interview Details Had two technical interview over the phone. Both technical interviews where challenging but doable. I had to write the code using a web application that allow both me and the interviwere to see what I was typing. After those interviews, I had one more in-person interview with the hiring manager, this interview was not technical, we talked mostly about business topics. .

Interview Question – Write a program that multiply very large two matrix. Most of the numbers on each of the matrix are zeros (0). Must optimize for memory and speed.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I asked for a relocation package, which I was able to get. The negotiation were pleasant and professional.

Moscow (Russia)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details 4 interviews - hr, manager, team lead, team

Interview Question – How to build search engine like google   Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!