Microsoft

Getting the Interview

61 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2013.

Interview Details It had 5 round which contained 1 MCQ's round,1 coding,2 tech and 1 HR round..

Interview Question – The unexpected question is that why did i choose a particular project in a semester   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details We had a pool drive where we had an mcq of 15 questions.
Those shortlisted had a coding round where 2 questions were asked.
1) Reverse every 2 nodes of a SLL
2)Find out if two sentences are anagrams of each other

On Site
Round 1-
Generate all possible parenthesis for a given n
Check if all levels of a BST have the max no of nodes possible

Round 2-
Run Length encoding
Shift all spaces in a sentence to the end

Interview Question – Generate all possible parenthesis for a given n   View Answers (2)

Hyderābād

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2009.

Interview Details First interview - technical test (C and C++)
Second interview - Group discussion - possibly trying to see how you'd communicate and listen in a group setting
Third interview - Technical panel interview (linked list and other data structures)

Interview Question – How can sports bring different cultures together?   View Answer

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details There were 2 fairly straightforward written tests on campus , then they took a few days for the result there a phone interview, after which they took some time for the result, then there were 2 rounds of on site interviews after which they chose 2 interns.
questions were pretty straightforward , like reversing the link list, zig zag in link list

Interview Question – None...   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details Was contacted after a career fair. Was asked a basic question on string reversal. Got a reject in 2 weeks with no additional information as to what they didn't like.

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details A phone interview after 3 weeks of applying.

Interview Question – Prepare data structures - array, list, linked list, binary tree, hash maps, etc   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details Had a 30 min phone interview mainly about my coursework and project. Its been almost 4 weeks now and I have not heard from them regarding my result. I have emailed the HR about 5-6 times and she has not even answered once. This puts a big doubt about Microsoft's hiring process. It appears that they do not value people's time. With the HR not replying, I do not know how to know my result. I have not had such an experience with any other company.

Interview Question – Nothing unsual   Answer Question

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 7 months - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Interview Details I passed the on-campus interview last April. But the positions are full for that summer so they asked me to have an on-site interview in Nov. But failed. The project fails to match my background.

Interview Question – All basic questions on leetcode   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Applied online on October. Got informed from HR on January. Then had a non technical HR phone screen. I did't get through this interview.
There are two portions for this interview.
First are some typical behavioral questions. Describe the hardest project, etc. And there are some weird questions like what's the most number of lines of code you've written in one project. What's a language that you are most familiar with.
Then the brain teaser question. The nine ball question. It's everywhere online.

Interview Question – What's the most number of lines of code you've written in one project?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer (Intern) Interview

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Saw an ad for it at college, applied, passed CV screening, then there was a phone interview (it was an opening in Redmond for Brazilian students). Interviewer asked a bit about college experiences, previous programming experiences/portfolio, and some technical questions. Didn't pass since the main question was a software testing one and I didn't know anything about that. There were internships in development and testing, but they clearly wanted people who would accept the testing jobs.

Interview Question – The good ol' triangle problem.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Software Development Engineer Intern interview questions and advice. All 61 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.