Microsoft Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Questions

Updated Jun 4, 2014

3.2

70 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2013.

It had 5 round which contained 1 MCQ's round,1 coding,2 tech and 1 HR round..

Interview Questions
  • The unexpected question is that why did i choose a particular project in a semester   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Microsoft.

We had a pool drive where we had an mcq of 15 questions.
    Those shortlisted had a coding round where 2 questions were asked.
    1) Reverse every 2 nodes of a SLL
    2)Find out if two sentences are anagrams of each other

On Site
    Round 1-
    Generate all possible parenthesis for a given n
    Check if all levels of a BST have the max no of nodes possible

Round 2-
    Run Length encoding
    Shift all spaces in a sentence to the end

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hyderābād
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2009.

First interview - technical test (C and C++)
    Second interview - Group discussion - possibly trying to see how you'd communicate and listen in a group setting
    Third interview - Technical panel interview (linked list and other data structures)

Interview Questions
    • How can sports bring different cultures together?   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

There were 2 fairly straightforward written tests on campus , then they took a few days for the result there a phone interview, after which they took some time for the result, then there were 2 rounds of on site interviews after which they chose 2 interns.
    questions were pretty straightforward , like reversing the link list, zig zag in link list

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

I had one general phone interview about my projects, work experience and motivations. I waited around 2 months for the feedback. Then they informed me about the hiring event in Dublin and asked for some more detalis about my (ex whether I was planning to consider my masters degree). We exchanged some more emails and then they stopped responding.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2014.

Recruiter contacted me after I gave my resumé in a campus presentation. Then he scheduled an interview to the end of the month in a hotel in my town. The interview was short. Initially, we talked for about ten minutes about topics such as: why do I would like to work at Microsoft, previous experiences, which position I thought I'd fit better, etc. The interviewer was nice and made me very comfortable. Then he took me to a whiteboard and asked me to code an API to deal with two classes: Activity and Resource. An activity could use a lot of resources and then I had to save those objects and manipulate them with simple operations like insertion, deletion, etc. Nothing too hard but it required me knowledge on exceptions, threads, dangling references, etc.

Interview Questions
    • How to save resources' IDs used by an activity and access them in O(1), assuming there could be an infinite number of resources?   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

interviewed at Microsoft in April 2014.

The interview was on Skype, the recruiters and the interviewers were friendly. I'll have another interview next week. The interviewer asked me questions about the projects I have made before, my interests, etc. After that he asked me a technical question.

Interview Questions
    • You have 2 linked lists, return a list with the intersection.

For example:

Input:
      L1 = { 1,2,5,10}
      L2 = {9,4,5,10,15}

return {5,10}
        Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Microsoft.

I gave my resume to college recruiter. Invited to attend a what to expect during the interview meeting. Then given an on campus interview the day after. The interviewer was a developer from Redmond. This was round one of process. I was told round two and three would be at Redmond.

Interview Questions
    • There were behavioral questions and some technical questions. The one technical question I remembered was N-queens problem.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Basically just received an email that told me to schedule an interview time. I did and signed up for a phone interview. A week later, I completed a phone interview. We talked about responsibilities of the position, and then went into the technical questions. I was asked a basic sorting question, then asked to describe my preferred search algorithm. All pretty straightforward.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would install and configure a router for a home network?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

I gave my resume to a Microsoft recruiter at a presentation at my university. I got an email from another recruiter a week or two later. They said that they'd like me to come in for an on-campus interview, and asked for a quick response so they could schedule it. I responded immediately and gave my availability (which ended up being only one day), and then never heard from them until NOON OF THAT DAY, when they asked if I could come in at 2 PM.
    I had given up on the interview by then, but I agreed to come in even though I was unprepared. The interviewer asked me one question about linked lists, but he seemed almost as unprepared for interviewing as me, and the interview lasted only about 20 minutes. By the end of it, we both knew it wasn't going anywhere.

Interview Questions

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!