Microsoft

Getting the Interview

32 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details 2 phone interviews and one in person over a 6 month period, hiring process pretty long.

Interview Question – Technical questions on Microsoft's hardware and software.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2010.

Interview Details First Phone Interview
Then a 6th interview with the GM

Interview Question – I do not recall   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiations were accepted

Raanana (Israel)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2011.

Interview Details I was contacted via the linked in by a head hunter who thought my experience is relevant and I will be a good match.She scheduled the interview after a short phone call in which I explained my current role. The interview took 1 hour, questions were general on my personality and experience. In the middle of the interview I got a "hint" that I have small experience for this role and she will think of a different role, if any exists

Interview Question – what does your customers think of you?   Answer Question

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details I was contacted by a recruiter who wanted to see if I would be interested in a poistion with Microsoft.

Upon getting a positive reply from myself we went through a 20 minute conversation to assess my suitability for the role. Following that my CV was sent to the hiring managers to make a decision.

I was then contacted to come for a face to face compentancy baed interivew. The interview itself was not hard, you had to give various examples of various situations where you have achieved something or overcome a difficult situation. Microsoft have a set of competencies which they test you upon howerver they do not share them with yourself beforehand so you need to be prepared.
TIP - Make sure you research the role and the business and if the details don't come up in the interview you need to mention how your certain capabilities would be good for the business and the role you are interviewing for.

Follwing this I was then invited to an assessment day which involved a Presentation, Competency based interview and Role play.

Presentation -
Ensure that you read all of the presentation brief, and take into account the requirements which are mentione and which have been implied. It is very easy to miss out what has been implied and that can go against you. Aim for the essentials which would help demostrate your combination of business and technical skills and how Microsoft's business customers can be helped.

Interview -
Again the competency based interivew. Same tips as before

Roleplay scenario -
I was dealing with some senior customers who were very unhappy. It was pretty ok to be honest nothing too hard, something that you would do on a normal basis. Again, you need to be calm, listening, sensitive and assertive at the same time.

Positive -
Things were well organised, however the communication from the recruiters could have been better. However I always tried to be pro-active and ensure that I communicated where I felt that thier HR was lacking, afterall it is my career!! The people interviewing me were good though they seem to have researched myself and my past qiute well.

Negative -
The long process which almost took me 3 months. By this time you really are mentally exhausted and want things to be over with, if not managed properly this can have a negative affect. Plus the comms from HR could have been better.

Reason why I was not offered -
In my first face to face interview I was told that they were impressed with my business knowledge however they needed to assess my technical knoweldge better as that had not come out in the interview.

So in my assessment to counter that and manage their expectations, I tried to highlight my technical knowledge in the assessment and the feedback was that they felt I had a lot more technical knowledge than needed and hence I was not strategic enough!. Yet they were the ones who wrote to me afte the interview asking that my technical knowledge needs to be shown and they were happy with my business experties. Maybe others can counter these things better however I was unable to manage the expectation of the many people interviewing me in a way that would result in a positive outcome for me. Based upon the feedback I received, they were impressed with everything other than this and hence role is not being offered. I will not comment further however I shall leave others reading this review to prepare themselves better.

Interview Question – Generally all questions were generic nothing too difficult or trick questions. If you have researched the role and company then you should be ok.   Answer Question

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details First a telephone interview with a speed reader and her script. Phone Tech screen easy. I nvite for a face to face so disorganized. Was handed off to this person and then to another person I thought it was a joke. No one response to questions prior to flying out. The day before you leave they send you a ppt and say prepare to deliver this.

Interview Question – No difficult questions but plenty of stupid questions. Example, where is my data kept with office 365 coming from the role play director of IT. Rather than trying to find out who you are and what makes you think the way you do, the role play was a table full of employees from a client that behaved like brats in pre school including spending far too much time arguing with each other. I have worked in the industry for 20 years with major premiere hardware and software clients and none behaved like this group of snoogle wanna be's..... Even when the system went down at a brokerage house.

They had to have watched the movie "The Internship" and Mr. Chetty was front and center. The arrogance of the team got in the way of my desire to want to work for Microsoft.

As you leave the interviews the hiring manager assures you will hear something next week. Nada, zero, nothing, even after reaching out and asking what's the decision. Big promises - little deliver.
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I checked this because if anyone would have got back to me with an offer I would have declined.

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Interview Details I had several phone interviews and conversations with MS employees. Everyone was amazingly friendly and helpful. I completed the in-person interview and everyone was supportive and open. It was a long day and process in general but still went very smoothly and I was kept in good communication so I always knew what was going on.

Interview Question – Just a lot of almost impossible to get it right questions. Just mostly focused on how you handle pressure and difficult situations/personalities.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Washington, DC (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

Interview Details No Pros at all because interviewer was not prepared

Interview Question – Asking about company structure and future growth which is totally Unexpected Question because how person who is not in the organization will know the strategic plan for company growth. Interviewer didnt ask any question related to job or requirement.   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Recruiter screen, tech screen, team lead telephonic, then a series of face to face interviews

Interview Question – How many piano tuners are there in the world   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Offer letter and yes.no acceptance. No negotiations

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

Interview Details Contacted a recruiter at a career fair at my college, was contacted via email about a month later. Had a two phone interviews and then an full-day on-site interview in Seattle. Was very smooth, friendly and if you had the technical knowledge and were a strong interviewer, this should not be as impossible as you think. Every interviewer was very friendly and it was like we were just having a lunch conversation.

Interview Question – Last interviewer said I had been doing very, very well and asked me why Microsoft shouldn't hire me.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, except for location.

Irvine, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2013.

Interview Details Initial phone interview was with a recruiter. Second phone interview with another technical account manager. Third interview was onsite to role play meeting with a fake client. Panel consisted of five employees; two managers and three technical account managers. One hour timed PowerPoint presentation provided by Microsoft. The last half hour was an open discussion. Last interview was by phone with national director.

Interview Question – Why Microsoft?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much room to negotiate; great benefits package. Research average salary.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Technical Account Manager interview questions and advice. All 32 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.