Microsoft Technical Account Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jun 7, 2014

3.3

35 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Technical Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Las Colonias, TX (US)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Colonias, TX (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2014.

Received initial email in response to my application from HR on 4/14/14. HR screening 4/15/14.
Interviewed via phone with TAM team member 4/23/14.
Interviewed via phone with senior TAM team member 5/16/14.
Finals day interview (face-to-face) 6/6/14

Face-to-face interview - I had six 45 minute interviews and one presentation. The entire day of interview lasted from 9AM to 3PM. It was 3 of us onsite interviewing for the TAM role that day but we all interviewed and presented separately.

The HR recruiters really spend time preparing you for your interview. If you make ti to the finals day interview they will email you lots of information. Info such as: about the TAM role, key initiatives for this role, key stakeholders and other internal organizations this role will interact with, how to prep/what to do pre-interview, and what to expect for your finals Day interview. They may also email you a scenario base question for you to complete a writing sample and a PowerPoint to edit and take with you on the day of your interview to be present to the team. The presentation should be presented for no longer than 10 minutes(I recommend no more than 5 slides with main points).

Interview Questions
  • What if you have been trying to setup a meeting with a busy executive for a contract renewal, final got the meeting scheduled. This meet must happen because you don't know when you will be able to schedule this meeting again. 15 minutes prior to the meeting you got a call form one of your other clients - mission critical situation servers down - what would you do?   View Answers (2)

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Technical Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Initial technical phone screen which I passed. The job was then filled internally. I had to call back two weeks later and then they offered a different location. I accepted and they flew me out for an in person interview process with ~5 member panel.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. They pride themselves on the fact that there are a line of people behind you that will take the position. MS isn't about hiring the best any longer, they want clay that will drink their coolaid so they can form, mold, use and then discard.

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2010.

Very thorough, lot's of questions on technology and customer scenario's. Had a writing activity, presentation activity and role play.

Interview Questions
    • Product has a bug in it, customer is frustrated as it is not working as sold by sales team, will not be fixed for 6 months due to code rewrite, you have to deliver this information back to CIO who is threatening to throw Microsoft and the product out.

This is a role play with 5-6 MS employees acting as the CIO, VP, Director, Manager, Engineer along with a few acting in the MS Sales positions. This group will also be in the same positions when you perform your presentation.
        Answer Question
    Straight forward, Stock, Salary and details on your bonus potential

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

2 phone interviews and one in person over a 6 month period, hiring process pretty long.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions on Microsoft's hardware and software.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2010.

First Phone Interview
    Then the Second Interview was at a Cafe Next Business Day
    On the Same Day there was an HR phone Interview
    Then a 4th interview with the HR Manager
    Then a 5th Interview with the senior manager
    Then a 6th interview with the GM

No Negotiations were accepted

Technical Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Raanana (Israel)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raanana (Israel)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2011.

I was contacted via the linked in by a head hunter who thought my experience is relevant and I will be a good match.She scheduled the interview after a short phone call in which I explained my current role. The interview took 1 hour, questions were general on my personality and experience. In the middle of the interview I got a "hint" that I have small experience for this role and she will think of a different role, if any exists

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

I was contacted by a recruiter who wanted to see if I would be interested in a poistion with Microsoft.

Upon getting a positive reply from myself we went through a 20 minute conversation to assess my suitability for the role. Following that my CV was sent to the hiring managers to make a decision.

I was then contacted to come for a face to face compentancy baed interivew. The interview itself was not hard, you had to give various examples of various situations where you have achieved something or overcome a difficult situation. Microsoft have a set of competencies which they test you upon howerver they do not share them with yourself beforehand so you need to be prepared.
    TIP - Make sure you research the role and the business and if the details don't come up in the interview you need to mention how your certain capabilities would be good for the business and the role you are interviewing for.

Follwing this I was then invited to an assessment day which involved a Presentation, Competency based interview and Role play.

Presentation -
    Ensure that you read all of the presentation brief, and take into account the requirements which are mentione and which have been implied. It is very easy to miss out what has been implied and that can go against you. Aim for the essentials which would help demostrate your combination of business and technical skills and how Microsoft's business customers can be helped.

Interview -
    Again the competency based interivew. Same tips as before

Roleplay scenario -
    I was dealing with some senior customers who were very unhappy. It was pretty ok to be honest nothing too hard, something that you would do on a normal basis. Again, you need to be calm, listening, sensitive and assertive at the same time.

Positive -
    Things were well organised, however the communication from the recruiters could have been better. However I always tried to be pro-active and ensure that I communicated where I felt that thier HR was lacking, afterall it is my career!! The people interviewing me were good though they seem to have researched myself and my past qiute well.

Negative -
    The long process which almost took me 3 months. By this time you really are mentally exhausted and want things to be over with, if not managed properly this can have a negative affect. Plus the comms from HR could have been better.

Reason why I was not offered -
    In my first face to face interview I was told that they were impressed with my business knowledge however they needed to assess my technical knoweldge better as that had not come out in the interview.

So in my assessment to counter that and manage their expectations, I tried to highlight my technical knowledge in the assessment and the feedback was that they felt I had a lot more technical knowledge than needed and hence I was not strategic enough!. Yet they were the ones who wrote to me afte the interview asking that my technical knowledge needs to be shown and they were happy with my business experties. Maybe others can counter these things better however I was unable to manage the expectation of the many people interviewing me in a way that would result in a positive outcome for me. Based upon the feedback I received, they were impressed with everything other than this and hence role is not being offered. I will not comment further however I shall leave others reading this review to prepare themselves better.

Interview Questions
    • Generally all questions were generic nothing too difficult or trick questions. If you have researched the role and company then you should be ok.   Answer Question

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

I had several phone interviews and conversations with MS employees. Everyone was amazingly friendly and helpful. I completed the in-person interview and everyone was supportive and open. It was a long day and process in general but still went very smoothly and I was kept in good communication so I always knew what was going on.

Interview Questions
    • Just a lot of almost impossible to get it right questions. Just mostly focused on how you handle pressure and difficult situations/personalities.   View Answer

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

First a telephone interview with a speed reader and her script. Phone Tech screen easy. I nvite for a face to face so disorganized. Was handed off to this person and then to another person I thought it was a joke. No one response to questions prior to flying out. The day before you leave they send you a ppt and say prepare to deliver this.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions but plenty of stupid questions. Example, where is my data kept with office 365 coming from the role play director of IT. Rather than trying to find out who you are and what makes you think the way you do, the role play was a table full of employees from a client that behaved like brats in pre school including spending far too much time arguing with each other. I have worked in the industry for 20 years with major premiere hardware and software clients and none behaved like this group of snoogle wanna be's..... Even when the system went down at a brokerage house.

They had to have watched the movie "The Internship" and Mr. Chetty was front and center. The arrogance of the team got in the way of my desire to want to work for Microsoft.

As you leave the interviews the hiring manager assures you will hear something next week. Nada, zero, nothing, even after reaching out and asking what's the decision. Big promises - little deliver.
        Answer Question

I checked this because if anyone would have got back to me with an offer I would have declined.

Technical Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

No Pros at all because interviewer was not prepared

Interview Questions
    • Asking about company structure and future growth which is totally Unexpected Question because how person who is not in the organization will know the strategic plan for company growth. Interviewer didnt ask any question related to job or requirement.   View Answer

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!