Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Updated 27 Aug 2014
Updated 27 Aug 2014

2.8

Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

2-step process- phone interview,then a 1:1 interview with director. Phone interview was straight forward and then I went to the office for the in person interview. Basic questions nothing technical.

FAA Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in July 2014.

The fifteen minute phone screen was scheduled almost immediately after I submitted to the IQ test. The test was pretty simple, straight forwards in nature. The interviewer was very nice and said she would push forward my application to a more in depth interview. The process was pretty reasonable, and I recommend it to most people.

VP- Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interviewed with team of Advisors first. Separate interviews, not two on one. Was impressed by their story of how they ran their practice like a well-oiled machine. Wish it had been true. Then met Office Manager Senior VP for interview that covered all the basics. Then met regional manager briefly for a glossy overview of why it was the best place to work, according to him.

Interview Questions
    • Really didn't find anything too difficult or unexpected during the process.   Answer Question

Asset Management Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

First of all, Excel test regarding corporate finance. How to calculate return of investment, annual payments, and duration. Second, on-site interview. Basically, go through your resume and ask questions involving your relevant work experience.

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

10 min in person interview. Very informal (at the time).

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult asked. It was more of a brief "shoot the breeze" type of talk.   Answer Question
    They offered $30k, I countered with $33k and they accepted.

Internship Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

No interview. Hired after 2 months following submission of application.

No negotiation

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Very long interview process. I started with apply for the position on their website. About a month later I was contacted to complete the online testing. Part of the texting related to the series examinations to conclude if you would have the ability to pass the licensing. The other portion was more along the lines of personality and skills testing.

I followed up with several people to hear nothing back. About a month later, I was contacted by the Branch Manager, who wanted to speak with me on the phone. It was an interview over the phone. Basically selling myself, showing confidence. Meanwhile he discussed my testing results. I was then invited to an in-person interview. I was required to bring a business plan.

I went to the first in-person interview. This was very high stress. It lasted about an hour and ended with him setting a timer for about 2 minutes and told me to sell myself on why I should be hired for this position and what do I have versus the competition. After the interview concluded I was then invited to another interview at a larger office.

During the interview I was informed that the first few years could be working on average 80 hours a week. He stated when he would leave the office, I would be expected to stay. After giving the position some thought, I declined the interview. Working 80 hours per week would be extremely difficult for myself at this point in my life.

Interview Questions
    • You will be dealing with many clients who are older than you. Treat me like one of those clients and explain to me what kind of life experiences you have that would allow me to trust in you to invest my life time savings.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

I was first referred to a contact at the company and sent my resume/cover letter directly to him via email. A few days later, my contact's assistant called me to schedule an in-person interview. The interview took place primarily with one Financial Advisor, while another briefly stepped in to explain unique aspects of the role. The interview went well and the interviewer was very responsive to my questions.

Interview Questions
    I did research before I went in on what others in my role were being paid, on average. I was asked during the interview what I was looking for in terms of pay, and I gave a number. The interviewer agreed that the amount was about average and fair.

Intern Interview

Very conversational. 3 strengths and weaknesses. Usually like to hear that you are highly organized. Do a bit of recon on that specific group inside of Morgan Stanley

Interview Questions
    • Why Morgan Stanley versus JPM or any other bulge bracket firm?   Answer Question

Client Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in February 2014.

Applied in October and received a call from a recruiter in February. Quick conversation to confirm interest in the position and schedule a phone interview for the following week.

Interview Questions
    • Basic screening questions. Are you currently working/tell me about your current responsibilties/why are you looking for a new opportunity? Why do you think you're a good fit for this company/position? She offered a brief overview of the position. I wouldn't say this was an unexpected question but she asked what I knew about the company. Final question was in regards to salary. She asked about my current salary and what sort of pay range I was expecting from this position.   View Answer