Motorola Mobility

Updated 5 Nov 2014

2.8

Lead Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied online – interviewed at Motorola Mobility.

The interview process was in fact very funny.
           The first round was telephonic which they said it was mainly to understand the skills of the employee, what the employee is really interested to work in, by sharing their project requirement with the employee.
            I was communicated that they have understood what I am really looking for and they would redirect my profile to the corresponding team for further interview process. This was very much impressive. But when I attended F2F interview, the panel did not even try to check my core skills. Just with searching and sorting algorithm questions how can a person be judged whether he will fit in their project. I agree that such skills are required for anyone, but not everyone will be an expert with everything, however they should check whether the candidate is in a position to understand their project requirement or think about a solution using his core skills. If the candidate fails to understand the requirement itself, then no one can change their decision to reject such a candidate.
          My point here is at least once the panel should try to check the candidate's core skills. The funny part here is the job profile clearly says the what they are looking for and even after the first round telephonic which was specifically to match my core skills and schedule the interview accordingly, and inspite of that, in the F2F interview my core skills were untouched, and more over in the 1 and half hours process, I spent more than an hour waiting.

Interview Questions
    • They asked only one question on algorithms and they could judge me on that it seems. That was the most unexpected situation in fact :)   Answer Question

Lead Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in September 2014.

Interview was for their Bangalore office. Initial telephonic discussion was good. The person explained what they were trying to do in the area of BigData. Being a BigData professional for close to 5 years, I was OK with the job profile.

When I attended a Face to Face discussion in their Bangalore office, I was attended by their Architect. They asked me to write a Map/Reduce program, gave the Laptop and went off. I wrote the program in around 45 minutes. He came back and told that I took longer than expected to write the code. I told, just giving a laptop, without any libraries required, is not the way to code. There were some compilation errors, obviously because of missing libraries. He was not happy. He never bothered to look at the logic which I was explaining to him. He asked some questions on the program & I answered all of them, modifying the logic. He told I should have anticipated all his questions and should have written program. Common, I am not a mind reader. You give me 1 requirement and I write code to solve that, later our requirement changes & I need to modify the code. He told he doesn't have experience in writing Map/Reduce and he always uses Hive. I tried to explain him, he was the one who asked me to write Map/Reduce, not me. He didn't have an answer. I also patiently explained him on what scenarios we need Map/Reduce & can't do in Hive. Moreover my profile clearly stated that my core strengths are HDFS, Map/Reduce. And I had know how on Hive. I also gave him the HiveQL for his problem.

Later another person came in and his first question was which language I am comfortable with. I told Java, as I had been a Java programmer from 10 Years. His next question was to chose any other language like C/C++. I tried to tell him, its only the syntax and language constructs that differ, but the logic is what that matters. He again stressed that he is not comfortable in Java. I proposed to discuss the solution at Pseudo Code level. Finally he accepted.

Next he did something I was never expecting, he gave me a problem & asked me to solve. Something in lines of validating a mathematical expression. I asked him some questions & he immediately looked up in internet for couple of minutes & gave some answer. I asked more questions and he started looking in internet again. He didn't realize that I could see him opening webpage with a big heading "Interview Questions" in the mirror behind him :). To ask a question you look up in internet. Big joke man. That moment I realized the kind of people I am dealing with.

That moment, I asked are they clear on what the role expects & why I am being not asked questions on my core strengths. They told they are checking my problem solving & they are free to do interviews how they want. It is their company policy.

They called me for BigData, Hadoop related position & only a single question on Hadoop. That too a basic level. No questions on my work experience or the patents I have worked on. They ask questions posted on internet, that too without being clear about the question themselves.

Then they asked me to leave. I never expected a call back and never got one.
    Sent a mail to their Hiring Manager, explaining the same. She is least bothered.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing I could remember. I have given near to optimal solution for all problems. I have double verified in many blogs as well.   Answer Question

Software Enegineer Interview

Mine was campus interview, it was a simple interview

Interview Questions
    • Something on Data structures, standard sorting and Order of algo question.   Answer Question

Sales Executive Interview

good and friendly but as per the industry preferance

Interview Questions
    • asked about previous sales experience and asked to mock sale mobile   Answer Question
    nothing

Industrial Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Srīperumbūdūr
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Srīperumbūdūr

I applied in-person. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in June 2012.

it is a nice company. the interviews are so good to answer as possible. the culture of hte company produce more no of mobiles

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in January 2012.

technical interview from Materials Head, then GM intervied and after that HR

Interview Questions

Compensaion offered was too low

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in March 2011.

A job consultant called set up a direct F2F interview. The interview was for a WLAN related product division. The interviewer seemed very eager to go ahead with the things. He was looking for a particular area of work which I had not mentioned in my resume. I think he assumed it .Still he went ahead with the interview. There were C,data structures and some kernel debugging questions. The interviewer was very egotistic and the most arrogant I have encountered till date.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in March 2011.

Telephonic and Project Discussion.

Interview Questions
    • POSIX Architecture and Implementation.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in July 2010.

1. Campus Hiring
    2. Written test(easy)
    2, Face to face - 2 rounds
    3. HR

none

IDT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in May 2010.

GOOD.