NIH

23 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Branch Chief Interview

Rockville, MD (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at NIH in March 2011.

Interview Details The entire process took a very long time from start to finish. I was contacted after submitting an online application and attached my resume. I received 3 separate phone calls for 3 separate interviews. I was interviewed by a small team, separate individual people and then a large team and finally the Head of the Department.

Interview Question – What type of culture do you think we have here at NIH?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Accepted another offer from another company which was willing to pay me a higher salary.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Bethesda, MD (US)

The process took 3 months - interviewed at NIH in November 2011.

Interview Details Invitation to the laboratory to recieve a tour, meet the current lab, and give a 40 minute seminar on current research.

Interview Question – Very straightforward. Nothing too unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. The salary is "as is."

HSA Interview

Bethesda, MD (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at NIH.

Interview Details Global application. Many interviews via phone, email and in person. Slow process, with many steps, so prepare well. Write detail resume and cover letter. Took several weeks to move on. Hiring process is long.

Interview Question – Why are you changing jobs. What do you think this job is about.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Little room for negotiation in the federal government. At least for me. But got more vacation time that most.

Research Fellow Interview

Research Fellow
Bethesda, MD (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at NIH.

Interview Details I was already a contractor and I got switched to an full time employee.

Post-baccalaureate IRTA Interview

Post-baccalaureate IRTA
Bethesda, MD (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at NIH.

Interview Details 2 interviews-1 over the phone, 2nd in person. They really tried to match me based on my goals and interests and if they felt they could provide a learning experience for me

Interview Question – Nothing tricky really. Perhaps why I never published in undergraduate studies when given the chance?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation really

Summer Internship Interview

Bethesda, MD (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at NIH in March 2010.

Interview Details Application online submitted in Winter. Phone interview in Spring.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions -- basic questions about your background and abilities.   Answer Question

CRN Interview

Bethesda, MD (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at NIH in November 2011.

Interview Details I interviewed w 3 leadership people 1st and it was about 45mins long. Next I interviewed
w 'peers' and it was like they were reading interview q's from google.

Interview Question – 'Tell me about a difficult situation and how you resolved it' Dumb   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – negotiations are solely thru HR and they are very tough

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Bethesda, MD (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at NIH in November 2009.

Interview Details Pretty straight forward: you apply probably online, get an email response from the hiring lab's PI, references are then contacted, 1:1 interview follows. One then gives a seminar typically to a group (members of a research group or who work in the field). Offer made immediately or within a couple of days.

Interview Question – Non really but you might want to remember to lie convincingly on why you went to graduate school.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Fixed pay per institute rules based on experience.

Research Fellow Interview

Research Fellow
Bethesda, MD (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at NIH.

Interview Details Initial email to set up a date for interview in person. After the presentation, discussion with the lab P.I.. About 1 month later, job offer (salary, benefits, etc.)

Interview Question – How do you think you can contribute to the project we're likely to hire you for?   Answer Question

Pathways Program Intern Interview

Bethesda, MD (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at NIH.

Interview Details This program has three different sub programs based on your education eligibility . If you qualify for either of the programs its a great way to get a paid job/internship because the funding doesn't come from the depleted NIH budget. It's easy to qualify and fill out the application for the program, but you must have someone from the inside pull you out of the application pool for you to even be considered. The interviews are based on what institute you are going to work for. I had quite a few mini interview with various people in the branch. They were all standard question just to gauge my interest in the research area.

Interview Question – Do you feel comfortable with data analysis?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at NIH

Worked for NIH? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NIH interview questions and advice in Maryland. All 23 interview reviews posted anonymously by NIH employees and interview candidates.