National University of Singapore Interview Questions

2.6

Research Scholar Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at National University of Singapore in September 2009.

Of late NUS has become quite stringent in selecting students. However a good undergrad university or a good CGPA can easily propel you to the elite list. Still to quantify the criteria, for GRE: I would say, there is no magic score but 1300+ should be safe. As for TOEFL: 90+ should be fine. But most importantly a good Statement of Purpose and research oriented CV can do wonders. Actually, your research ideas and ambitions are your USP. And during the final interview the interviewer would be more interested in your Final year Project and internships rather than your scores and grades.

Interview Questions
    • There is no perfect recipe for the selection process. Admits vary each semester. As usual masters admit is easier to obtain than PhD for one thing, PhD admit is determined by the no. of scholarships available for the semester intake.   Answer Question

Executive Interview

I applied online – interviewed at National University of Singapore in October 2014.

Was given and Early interview. Arrived and told to read a report, prepare the slides and give a presentation.
    Reasonable length of interview and was told the hiring process is long. No specific time frame given.

No official offer yet. Told that hiring process was long.

Executive - Student Affairs Interview

1 interview
    Fun culture, but cliquish. People don't take the effort to make newcomers feel welcome

Negotiate with justifications for pay increase
    My first request for pay negotiation was rejected by the HR staff. Only when I listed my full justifications was I taken seriously.

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent Ridge (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent Ridge (Singapore)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at National University of Singapore.

the interview is really very technical. You just talk with professor or project PI.

Interview Questions
    just during the talk with project PI

Associate Director Interview

I applied online – interviewed at National University of Singapore.

2 interviews. 2nd interview involves presentation.

PhD Candidate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at National University of Singapore.

This was for the PhD position at YLL School of Medicine. Regular PhD questions of why, what are your interests, post PhD plans; relocation to Singapore, potential lab interests. Easy enough. They specifically asked about the techniques I have learned. They also asked about grades.

Interview Questions
    • One particular technique I had done two years ago. I managed to say the basics, but I honestly couldn't remember the details; as I'd done it only two.three times.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at National University of Singapore in January 2014.

Since this is an out-sourced temporary contract position, the interview position was really fast. I did not email/correspond with the company myself, all was done through the recruitment agency. When I was asked to go for the interview, it was done by a Senior Executive whom I would report to directly. I think all he/she needed to know was if I were able to do the work required or not.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing at all. Just the simple question of me being qualified, why would I want a temp job.   View Answer
    None, all done through the recruitment agency.

Research Assistant Interview

Employer (Prof) would ask you about your inclinations and willingness to work past office hours (as expected for research related work). The prof would then describe his/her current works and the findings and he/she would ask you few questions on how would you be able to help out in the lab. They would bring you to meet their lab members and would allow you to have a small chat with them and let you have interactions with them.

Teaching Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National University of Singapore.

The hiring process of NUS for TA position normally takes about 3-4 weeks. The potential candidates are mainly from the PhD students inside each department. However, in some cases, they will be recruiting from outside.

The interview is generally standard. They asked you about your teaching background. Be confident and be firm.

Interview Questions
    • Your skill sets might be not matched with their needs. But never mind, you can show that the fundamental philosophy of teaching is the same by applying the same method.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Schedule a meeting with the professor. Talk with him during the meeting about your background. Sometimes he will ask for your transcript and determine whether you are suitable for the job.