National University of Singapore Interview Questions

Updated 21 Apr 2015

2.6

Research Scholar Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at National University of Singapore (New Delhi) in September 2009.

Interview

Of late NUS has become quite stringent in selecting students. However a good undergrad university or a good CGPA can easily propel you to the elite list. Still to quantify the criteria, for GRE: I would say, there is no magic score but 1300+ should be safe. As for TOEFL: 90+ should be fine. But most importantly a good Statement of Purpose and research oriented CV can do wonders. Actually, your research ideas and ambitions are your USP. And during the final interview the interviewer would be more interested in your Final year Project and internships rather than your scores and grades.

Interview Questions

• There is no perfect recipe for the selection process. Admits vary each semester. As usual masters admit is easier to obtain than PhD for one thing, PhD admit is determined by the no. of scholarships available for the semester intake.   Answer Question

Administrative Staff Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at National University of Singapore.

Interview

Face to face interview. Questions asked from the employers were straightforward. Interview process was approximately thirty minute. Did not go through different levels of interview session. Received offer within 1 week. Considered quite fast.

Management Assistant Officer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at National University of Singapore.

Interview

interview process about 1 week. Normal interview process with questions, interviewed by department manager and head. takes about few days after interview to get the offer.
    After shorlisted, need to do medical check up

Interview Questions

• usual questions like tell me more about yourself, strengths and weakness. how do you counter your weakness if the role cannot afford this weakness   Answer Question

Negotiation

Nil

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

There are two rounds of interview. The first one is a phone interview and the second is a face-to-face interview.

For the phone interview, the professor required me to call him at a stipulated time. When I called him, he picked up on first ring so it came across he remembered but just did not want to call. I take it as poor interview etiquette and to mean he is not reachable unless by appointment if you become his staff.

Throughout the interview, he was speaking meanly in a very nice way. He was asking for first authorship kind of work from me and asked about technical questions different from those used in his area of work and in his advertisement. He also asked whether I could write papers for grants which I came to understand it is his job scope as a professor. When I mentioned I did not have some of those I don't have (I knew about 70% of what he asked already), he went, "Oh, the kinds of job you had usually had your name on the publications last. People like you are good at analyzing things but had so much difficulty writing papers."

To be reasonable, he is paying less than S$3000 for this RA position and he is demanding intellectual work which is more likely his job scope.Then he should have asked for first authorships in his job criteria.

After I hanged up, I felt that he probably saw me a waste of time so he asked me to call him. Well, I have attended interviews in other universities to know things work in a better humane sense.

He even commented how people from other industries came to his interview and he did not want to see those people. Hence, the phone interview. Well, to be fair, the job market is getting very bad for job seekers. People just want to put food on their tables. For him as a junior ranked professor to make such comments to stranger interviewees, it's very unkind of him.

Interview Questions

• Expect technical questions different from those he stated in his job advertisement.   1 Answer

The pay is too low and unjustifiable for the job scope he is offering.

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

Met with Principal Investigator. Experiences related to project, what you can offer, explain experimental methods (i.e different type of PCR, some biology related questions etc). Took less than 30 minutes and was informal and easy going.

Executive Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at National University of Singapore in October 2014.

Interview

Was given and Early interview. Arrived and told to read a report, prepare the slides and give a presentation.
    Reasonable length of interview and was told the hiring process is long. No specific time frame given.

Negotiation

No official offer yet. Told that hiring process was long.

Executive - Student Affairs Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at National University of Singapore.

Interview

1 interview
    Fun culture, but cliquish. People don't take the effort to make newcomers feel welcome

Negotiation

Negotiate with justifications for pay increase
    My first request for pay negotiation was rejected by the HR staff. Only when I listed my full justifications was I taken seriously.

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent Ridge (Singapore)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at National University of Singapore (Kent Ridge (Singapore)).

Interview

the interview is really very technical. You just talk with professor or project PI.

Interview Questions

• technical related questions   1 Answer

Negotiation

just during the talk with project PI

Associate Director Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at National University of Singapore.

Interview

2 interviews. 2nd interview involves presentation.

PhD Candidate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at National University of Singapore.

Interview

This was for the PhD position at YLL School of Medicine. Regular PhD questions of why, what are your interests, post PhD plans; relocation to Singapore, potential lab interests. Easy enough. They specifically asked about the techniques I have learned. They also asked about grades.

Interview Questions

• One particular technique I had done two years ago. I managed to say the basics, but I honestly couldn't remember the details; as I'd done it only two.three times.   Answer Question