New York Life Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated 14 Oct 2014

2.2

43 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at New York Life.

Initially was contacted by phone for an interview which was very routine and professional. Then went to the office located near Grand Central for another interview. Was offered to come back for another interview so I could receive information about compensation.

Interview Questions
  • Who was the demographic I could reach at that particular time?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life.

The recruiters are very friendly and will seem genuinely interested in hiring you. After completing an application online I received a phone call and email to set up an interview. The 1st interview you take an assessment. write down some sales reference, they talk about their personal experiences with the company and their success, and will probably talk about what market they think you would be good to target as a salesmen. The company has great recognition and products but the job itself is VERY tough work. First off it's 100% commission and you have to find ALL of your own leads. This means they will try to pressure you to bother all of your family, friends, and past companies you have worked for. You have to have some money saved to get through a couple months of building your client base, but you won't get paid unless your selling life insurance to completely random people you stumbled upon. Also you have to spend money which they say will be reimbursed to get certified to sell their insurance. They invited me for a 2nd interview, before the day of my 2nd interview arrived I accepted another offer for a company that actually offers salary, and told them I wasn't interested.They are very friendly and will definitely try to lure in the naive and young to do their back breaking work for them. They may try to spin it as "well people that don't make it, don't work hard enough". Not true those people realize that this job is being a glorified door salesmen, no different than the ones in cheap suits selling magazines to unsuspecting people. I will say this, life insurance itself is a very valuable thing, and isn't going anywhere, but the methods that they use to sell it are completely ridiculous. Also if your not in a big affluent city, you may have a tough time selling investments to locals who can barely meet their monthly rent. There is no risk for them, you have to invest in them before they invest in you. If you don't work out well hey they haven't spent a penny on you.

Interview Questions
    • None, most of them are sales related but they are just desperate for warm bodies.   Answer Question

100% comission

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Easy and asked questions I expected them to ask. They want to make sure you are making the right decision when joining NYL and they really want you to know what to expect going into insurance sales and advising since it's a hard industry to stay afloat in.

Commission based.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in August 2014.

Directly got a interview for my position, however, when I headed to the office, they told me the internship can not be provided to international students because they want the internship to become a full time job.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in July 2014.

First interview went well. Second interview was disappointing since hiring manager never showed up. He left me waiting for over an hour. They don't validate parking. The hiring manager called me 15 minutes after 3pm to see where I was and stated that we had an interview at 2pm. I laughed it off since I am looking for training and support. If the manager is too busy to meet with me on time, then how will the support be? I waited in the lobby for an hour before I left. Maybe that's some kind of a test to determine how much of a push over you are.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in July 2014.

Was referred to the company by a friend then was called by a NYL rep. Spoke to him on the phone for about 20 minutes then he asked me to come in for a meeting. We then had a 1-1 meeting. Went over bits of training and financial incentives. Seemed pretty clear cut. Incentives were great and straightforward.

Not right fit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

interviewed at New York Life in June 2014.

I received response two days after on-line application. It is a good company but the position is not what I want. I am looking for finance job but the position is about sales and the salary is entirely based on your sales performance. They asked simple questions about personality and career plan. Don`t be nervous about the interview. The manager is very nice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in May 2014.

Interviewed by a team manager who basically spent about 45 minutes selling me the job. He showed me his bank account and how much he made and spoke at length about how easy the job was and how easy it was to sell people the products offered by New York Life because "they basically sell themselves", all in an effort to impress me into taking the job. In other words, it was the definition of a sales pitch for a sales job.

The Good: Extensive 2 week training course and sponsorship of all necessary licenses. "High earning potential" and clear metrics for advancement (you make X amount in commission in year Y and you get to move up to position Z)

The Bad: Purely commission based position i.e. no base salary. Company provides no leads.

Interview Questions

I only declined because I had no sales experience and was uncomfortable with the idea of not having a base salary. Overall the position itself seemed like a good deal if you can stomach the aforementioned and/or if you already have sales experience.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA (US)

interviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

Quick response, easy to schedule, long interview process on the day of including tour of the site, training rooms, offices, meeting facilities etc. It seems the interviewer does more to sell you on the job than you have to sell your own skill set at times.

Interview Questions
    • compare and contrast this company with Metlife, AIG and others in the same field   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in January 2014.

Phone interview w/ HR specialist, general questions regarding contact info, employment/educational history, career goals.
    Face-to-face interview w/ HR specialist, provide company and position information, overview job responsibilities, required licenses and how to obtain them, advise on issues regarding background/credit check, in-depth questions about prior work experience and allowed to take skills assessment.
    Interview w/ Managing Partner, demonstration of compensation structure, told to generate 200 contact info (name, address, phone/email, occupation) in order to proceed w/ training after initial licensing exam, informed of 36-month training program and how it is catered to the skills I desire to obtain.
    OFFERED JOB :)

Interview Questions
    None. I understood work and compensation were entirely up to me and my performance.