New York Life

Average Difficulty
18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at New York Life

Interview Details Fairly simple. Met and discussed with a licensed agent as well as a partner of the company. In total there were three interviews. All of the interviews/meetings lasted no longer then thirty minutes. Interviews were in a relaxed environment. I was nervous going into it but felt comfortable once things got started.

Interview Question – Questions were relatively general. How to deal with rejection, what are your world concerns, your greatest skill to attribute to the company. They threw a curve ball by asking what my favorite animal was and why.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Fairly strung out. Not completely clear as to what compensation would be.

Baltimore, MD (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details Applied through a campus recruiting tool. A recruiter followed up with an email and a personality test. Then there was a one on one interview with the Partner. Very quick and easy process.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 days - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details Met the partner at a career fair and got signed up for an interview the next morning. Initial interview was very informative about the company, office, and position. A second interview was scheduled immediately two days later. More extensive interview, lasted about an hour. A third interview was to be scheduled at my convenience and interest.

Interview Question – What sets you apart from all of the other candidates?   Answer Question

Intern

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details Applied online and received a phone interview.

Interview Question – Why New York Life?   Answer Question

New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in December 2013.

Interview Details Applied through university career website, approved for interview request. Interview was simple, nothing really surprising, mostly behavioral questions. Called in for 2nd round interview at NY HQ. Orientation, lunch meet and greet, 5 one-on-one interviews for the duration of 4 hours. Mostly behavioral questions, with some specificity to the insurance industry.

Interview Question – What is statutory accounting?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Didn't budge on salary since housing is provided at a local university

Very Easy Interview

Honolulu, HI (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New York Life in July 2013.

Interview Details 4 interviews, they require two projects to be done: Project 200 and completion of 30 surveys. You must also pass the Life and Health exam before being hired.

Interview Question – If you were to intern here, what is your biggest concern?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Didn't have enough time to study for the exam

Intern

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details Got a phone interview, did not get the offer, was asked pretty difficult questions.

Interview Question – had to explain very technical stuff   View Answer

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details Relatively easy one-round interview. The questions were almost entirely behavioral in nature with a few simple technical questions thrown in. The interviewer was mostly trying to get a sense of how I would perform in a group with other interns as well as with potential and existing clients.

Interview Question – General interview questions, strengths, weaknesses, etc.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied online and interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details Met NYL recruiters at a university career fair and applied for position online. Received phone call from recruiter to schedule a first round phone interview with HR. Second round interview was also conducted on the phone, this time with the hiring manager. Overall, questions were general and easy: "Why New York Life?" "What do you hope to get out of this internship?"

Interview Question – There were no difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Bakersfield, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life in March 2013.

Interview Details They take you out to lunch to prove they have the money but in actuality are struggling with money themselves. They usually skim your name off career sites and cold call, hoping to get you to come in.

Interview Question – Tell me your most recent challenge and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was promised many things so my negotiation was relatively easy. However, it was the minimal results that were not pleasing. Everything was said yes to, then when it was expected, the manager and others rarely came through.

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!