New York Life

Updated 12 Dec 2014
Updated 12 Dec 2014

2.4

Actuarial Interview

It only took them a day to contact me via email after I submitted my online application. I had my first phone screening after 3 days. Then in about 10 days, I did my second round phone interview. Both interviews were highly behavioral with barely any technical question. Then I was invited on-site. Five people interviewed me one after another and each interview lasted exactly 30 minutes. After five interviews, I went out for lunch with two actuarial students. The on-site interviews were slightly more technical than the phone screenings, but they were still pretty easy. Overall, it was a great experience interviewing with the company. I thought I did pretty well during the on-site interview, but unfortunately, I did not get an offer.

Enterprise Finance Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Applied through my school's career website, had 1 interview on campus & was called in for a superday 2 weeks later. Interviewers were all very personable, not too many difficult questions - just be prepared to answer Why New York Life? Why Finance? lots of behaviorals also. be patient as it takes a while for them to give out the offers after the super day

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you applied financial principles in an academic setting   Answer Question

Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis, MD (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

The recruiter contacted me after discovering an old resume I forgot I had on careerbuilder.com. I am always open to hearing offers and this was a chance to work in a field and actually utilize what I studied in college.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions due to the unique circumstances during my interview. An agent stepped in to retrieve a file and it turned out we knew each other. An offer was made on the spot after he vouched for me.   Answer Question
    There were no negotiations. The interview turned very informal once another agent popped his head in the office and he recognized me. It turns out I knew him through some friends. I was offered the job on the spot pending background/credit check.

Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I applied through other source – interviewed at New York Life in November 2014.

had been New York Life long time ago.,I was good agent in Las Vegas,NV,Williong to assist clients pgoal for the futureroblem, Find right answer with study fixing family size and financial situation.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in November 2014.

I applied online and was contacted the same day to set up an interview for the following week. The interview was pretty straight forward one-on-one. I walked him through my résumé and spoke about my goals, answering a few behavioral questions. The interviewer then spoke briefly about the position but mainly about the career track and company culture. Very helpful and very easy to talk to. Our discussion lasted about an hour and I then took a personality test. After the test, the interviewer let me know about the process that would follow. I received word that same day about a follow up interview with one of the managing partners for a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, be ready to answer anything about your résumé as well as personal experiences applicable to the position.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life.

The recruiters are very friendly and will seem genuinely interested in hiring you. After completing an application online I received a phone call and email to set up an interview. The 1st interview you take an assessment. write down some sales reference, they talk about their personal experiences with the company and their success, and will probably talk about what market they think you would be good to target as a salesmen. The company has great recognition and products but the job itself is VERY tough work. First off it's 100% commission and you have to find ALL of your own leads. This means they will try to pressure you to bother all of your family, friends, and past companies you have worked for. You have to have some money saved to get through a couple months of building your client base, but you won't get paid unless your selling life insurance to completely random people you stumbled upon. Also you have to spend money which they say will be reimbursed to get certified to sell their insurance. They invited me for a 2nd interview, before the day of my 2nd interview arrived I accepted another offer for a company that actually offers salary, and told them I wasn't interested.They are very friendly and will definitely try to lure in the naive and young to do their back breaking work for them. They may try to spin it as "well people that don't make it, don't work hard enough". Not true those people realize that this job is being a glorified door salesmen, no different than the ones in cheap suits selling magazines to unsuspecting people. I will say this, life insurance itself is a very valuable thing, and isn't going anywhere, but the methods that they use to sell it are completely ridiculous. Also if your not in a big affluent city, you may have a tough time selling investments to locals who can barely meet their monthly rent. There is no risk for them, you have to invest in them before they invest in you. If you don't work out well hey they haven't spent a penny on you.

Interview Questions
    • None, most of them are sales related but they are just desperate for warm bodies.   Answer Question

100% comission

Insurance Agent Interview

Went through 4 interviews. First a phone interview, then 3 in person interviews. First they get to know you. Then they educate you about themselves. then they talk about the position in detail.

Interview Questions
    • Not many difficult or unexpected questions. They just learn about your background and determine weather or not you will be a good fit for the company.   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at New York Life.

In the second round of interviews, not behavioral based. Be ready to answer compensation questions. Everyone at the office was nice and professional. The partner that interviewed me was a great conversationalist and was not afraid to ask the tough questions.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to make the money that this job can provide?   Answer Question

Life Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life.

I received an email from a recruiter who set up an interview at their main office. There is a series of 3 interviews. I attended the first which was geared more towards the manager/interviewer getting to know me. The next two interviews are geared toward the job expectations and the salary. I will see if the job is something I want to do after I attend the second interview. Overall the manger was very nice and easy to converse with.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of money would like to make and where would you like your salary to be in 3 years?   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life.

I got an email with the possibility of an interview. It was a phone interview. Questions about 1. tell me about a time when your leadership style failed? 2. tell me one the excel projects you did