New York Life Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014
Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.4

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in August 2014.

Directly got a interview for my position, however, when I headed to the office, they told me the internship can not be provided to international students because they want the internship to become a full time job.

Actuary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Elizabeth, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elizabeth, NJ (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in July 2010.

The interview was done with Department director, manager and one other manager level person. Interview lasted about an hour with general questions. It was very pleasant experience and I regret that I did not do better.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Easy and asked questions I expected them to ask. They want to make sure you are making the right decision when joining NYL and they really want you to know what to expect going into insurance sales and advising since it's a hard industry to stay afloat in.

Commission based.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Apply online. Resume requested. Junior/Senior undergrad status. GPA varies. Major varies. Three phone interviews followed by internship offer. Internship total = 12 weeks. Compensated. Location varies. Overall, pleasant experience.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

interviewed at New York Life in June 2014.

I received response two days after on-line application. It is a good company but the position is not what I want. I am looking for finance job but the position is about sales and the salary is entirely based on your sales performance. They asked simple questions about personality and career plan. Don`t be nervous about the interview. The manager is very nice.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Glendale, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in May 2014.

The interview process took a couple of weeks. There were 3 interviews total, all with the same person - a partner. The first interview consisted of asking me questions about myself. Then, there was a personality test. The 2nd interview was to tell me about the company, followed by a class about the compensation package, benefits, etc. The final interview was to offer me the job.

Interview Questions

Wasn't interested in a job with no base salary.

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at New York Life in February 2014.

Interview process was on the easy side. It is an all commission job so they aren't looking for people that aren't ready to put in the work, they can sense if you are going to or not right away. They are very up front and straight forward with the commission structure and how tough the business is. Great opportunity to really see what you are worth. You determine your own destiny

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you can strive in an all commission role?   Answer Question

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at New York Life in March 2014.

The recruiter was really nice. Not too many questions that you should answer. In the first interview, they just introduced the company and asked you to complete an assessment online.

Bilingual Insurance Sales/Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  White Plains, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Life in August 2014.

I applied online on a Saturday and received a call from them two days later on that Monday. After going to the first interview, I decided it wasn't what I was looking for so I opted out of the other two interviews. It is a total of 3 interviews for the starting position. 100% commission based.

Interview Questions
    • - Why NY Life?
      - If I were to call your best friend, what would he/she say about you?
      - 5 words that would describe you
      - Why insurance sales?
        Answer Question

Developer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at New York Life.

Phone interview followed by a personal interview. The initial interview is technical but consists of questions you can find on Google (hint. hint.) The second interview you meet with everyone and see if you can get along. For full time employees they care more about personality that tech skills so laugh a lot. For contractors they are very picky technically. If your resume is over 2 pages they may just toss it out. Just include some popular buzz works and check Google.

Interview Questions
    • Google interview prep question and you will find the questions they are using. Standard canned questions. Of course this is not related to what you will be doing so keep that in mind.   Answer Question
    They will lie about what you will be doing to get you in the door.

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!