New York Life Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 25, 2014
384 interviews

2.4

Insurance Agent Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at New York Life in February 2014.

Interview process was on the easy side. It is an all commission job so they aren't looking for people that aren't ready to put in the work, they can sense if you are going to or not right away. They are very up front and straight forward with the commission structure and how tough the business is. Great opportunity to really see what you are worth. You determine your own destiny

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you can strive in an all commission role?   Answer Question

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at New York Life in March 2014.

The recruiter was really nice. Not too many questions that you should answer. In the first interview, they just introduced the company and asked you to complete an assessment online.

Bilingual Insurance Sales/Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  White Plains, NY (US)
    Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Life in August 2014.

I applied online on a Saturday and received a call from them two days later on that Monday. After going to the first interview, I decided it wasn't what I was looking for so I opted out of the other two interviews. It is a total of 3 interviews for the starting position. 100% commission based.

Interview Questions
    • - Why NY Life?
      - If I were to call your best friend, what would he/she say about you?
      - 5 words that would describe you
      - Why insurance sales?
        Answer Question

Developer Interview

I interviewed through a staffing agency - interviewed at New York Life.

Phone interview followed by a personal interview. The initial interview is technical but consists of questions you can find on Google (hint. hint.) The second interview you meet with everyone and see if you can get along. For full time employees they care more about personality that tech skills so laugh a lot. For contractors they are very picky technically. If your resume is over 2 pages they may just toss it out. Just include some popular buzz works and check Google.

Interview Questions
    • Google interview prep question and you will find the questions they are using. Standard canned questions. Of course this is not related to what you will be doing so keep that in mind.   Answer Question
    They will lie about what you will be doing to get you in the door.

Insurance Agent Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at New York Life.

Very simple, the company is looking to sell you on the position and the benefits that can come with success. They really are looking to make sure you can hold conversation, and can represent the company in a positive way. There are four interviews but after the first, they focus more on what the company offers, more than your actual skills

Tax Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in July 2014.

I applied for a position online and received a phone call about a week later from a recruiter with questions on my resume (what are your current duties, how would you describe your personality, etc.). The day of the interview I met with two separate managers who asked the same questions as above. This was more of a chit chat interview to get a feel for your personality and describe the job duties. Each interview was scheduled for 30 minutes, but we went over about 5-7 minutes each. I was informed that the next step would a second round of face to face interviews with upper management, but I actually received a verbal offer one week later. They asked me to start three weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • What are you most dissatisfied with at your current job?   Answer Question

New Claims Processing Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at New York Life in August 2014.

I received a call from HR to set up a telephone interview last week. Initial communication was friendly and inviting. The actual interview took place the following day and I was asked typical interview questions such as strengths, difficult situations, etc. It would have been helpful if the HR representative was more familiar with office locations though.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of when you were creative within a previous role.   Answer Question

Actuarial Assistant/Actuarial Program Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at New York Life.

I was surprised by the unprofessional manner this phone interview was handled. The interviewer is not from HR which is fine, but she did not indicate that she was actually a participant of the program at the beginning of the interview. I discovered that at the end of the interview when she referred to the program in 3rd person.

I was bombarded by a series of behavioral questions and only had 5 mins to ask questions.

I got a response two weeks later that I did not get an offer. I kindly asked for feedback regarding the interview but "Unfortunately, it is our policy to not provide feedback to candidates about their interview." Well goodbye NYL.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in July 2014.

Was referred to the company by a friend then was called by a NYL rep. Spoke to him on the phone for about 20 minutes then he asked me to come in for a meeting. We then had a 1-1 meeting. Went over bits of training and financial incentives. Seemed pretty clear cut. Incentives were great and straightforward.

Not right fit.

Intern Interview

One phone interview with a recruiter for first round of screening.
    Second interview over the phone with potential manager and mentor in a department that the company chooses.
    If that department if not what you are looking for, the whole process is repeated

No negotiation. Interns make $18 per hour

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!