New York Life

334 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Insurance Agent Interview

South Houston, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details great process and very thorough

Interview Question – why do you have a hard time with nos.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – long process but worth it, 4 interviews

Financial Consultant Interview

Interviewed at New York Life

Interview Details Interview was pretty straight forward. Interviewed with one manager and talked about basic personal aspirations and the details of their training program. The interview lasted for about 45 minutes and scheduled for a second interview within a week. They responded quickly and were very professional.

Interview Question – Asked about my interpersonal skills.   Answer Question

New York Life Agent Interview

New York Life Agent
New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in September 2011.

Interview Details Initially there was a phone interview, then an in person interview followed by a computer test to determine if my personality would be a match to the position. There's also a very thorough background check. Simply put, they're trying to tell if you're an aggressive person who can think like a business owner, not an employee.

Interview Question – Hard to understand the compensation until you take the comp class. Then it becomes a little clearer. However I really only started to grasp out comp 6 months into it. But I'm happy!!! Fact is the initial compensation is complex only because newbies into the business are offered a lot of training bonuses since you're starting with zero business.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Insurance Agent Interview

Insurance Agent
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details Not your typical interview process. They highlight their strengths and advantages on working for them rather then giving you tough interview questions. The process requires a couple meetings in order for you to gauge the company and to see whether it is a good fit or not. Near the end, New York Life does evaluate your skills and expertise a bit more through a couple classes/tasks required in order to be full-time.

Interview Question – No real tough questions asked other than general background information and what I have learned in the past in sales.   Answer Question

Financial Sales Manager Interview

Baton Rouge, LA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life in February 2014.

Interview Details The people in the office were very nice. The office itself was in a good location and looked well maintained. The interview was odd because he basically told me I wasn't right for the job without asking me any questions first. After reflecting on the interview later, I got the impression that the point was for me to be aggressive, contradict him, and convince him otherwise. (Afterall, it is a sales position.)

Interview Question – The only question he asked was "Describe your ideal job."   Answer Question

Actuary Intern Interview

Interviewed at New York Life

Interview Details Applied online and was contacted a few days later for phone interview in Jan 2014. Interview was basically a resume walkthrough with very minimal behavior questions. Received notification 2 weeks later.

Interview Question – What was your hardest project on excel?
Give an example of when you were a leader.
  Answer Question

Life Insurance Agent Interview

Life Insurance Agent
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details They called me in for an interview and I came in for one.

Interview Question – How would you go about getting your first clients?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The environment is not for me.

New York Life Financial Advisor Interview

White Plains, NY (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at New York Life in February 2014.

Interview Details Contacted me after publishing my resume in a job board. Called me for a first interview, that I did with one of the partners, a screening interview. Then I had to do a test on the computer, that I passed. They invited for a second interview with the partner. And finally to a presentation where explain all the package and the training plan.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in New York Life?   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

Boston, MA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in February 2014.

Interview Details I did a phone interview with Aon Hewitt in February. The questions were pretty standard behavioral ones. The interview lasted about thirty minutes and I was given time to ask questions at the end. I received an email about a week later saying they were not interested. Overall, the interviewer was nice. He told me about his job and the duties of the actuarial interns.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you to break down a difficult concept and explain it to someone who did not understand.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Jackson, MS (US)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at New York Life in February 2014.

Interview Details I attended a career fair and a week later they called me for an on campus interview. The interview went fine and they were very explicit about what you want to do and what New York Life the company can offer you as well. First the interviewee told me about himself and his ambitions and then asked me about mine. It was not a very formal interview and he made me feel very comfortable.

Interview Question – What do you want out of this job?   View Answer