New York Life Interview Questions

Updated 20 Apr 2015

2.4

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Bethesda, MD (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life (North Bethesda, MD (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

It was a group interview and most of the people who were there didn't even know anything about the position. The entire interview took more than one hour and I had to pay for parking.

Interview Questions

• Not a lot of questions, besides the name and a little bit about yourself.   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Orlando, FL (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

They had a four step interview process, the first two interviews are simple as long as you act and dress professionally. The third interview goes more in depth, and the fourth they make an offer.

Interview Questions

• What is something you've accomplished in the last 90 days?   Answer Question

Life Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at New York Life (New York, NY (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

They recruiter claimed that the position was for being a financial advisor. But it was clear it was just a life insurance agent position. They claimed you can take the series 7 exam, but what I noticed with all the employees, no one gets to take the series 7 unless you have been in the business for YEARS! Don't plan on doing anything else but selling life insurance on the street.

Interview Questions

• What salary would you like to have?   1 Answer

Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, OH (US)

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at New York Life (Independence, OH (US)).

Interview

Met at a university job fair, they quickly called for an interview, it went very smooth, second interview my recruiter asked me to lay out a business plan for my agency. Then I got hired, the turnover in the insurance industry is huge so they will hire most people if you show promise

Interview Questions

• Create a vision of your company, selling NYL products how would you structure your agency   1 Answer

Negotiation

very simple. they laid out the guidlines and contract.

Actuarial Interview

Interview

It only took them a day to contact me via email after I submitted my online application. I had my first phone screening after 3 days. Then in about 10 days, I did my second round phone interview. Both interviews were highly behavioral with barely any technical question. Then I was invited on-site. Five people interviewed me one after another and each interview lasted exactly 30 minutes. After five interviews, I went out for lunch with two actuarial students. The on-site interviews were slightly more technical than the phone screenings, but they were still pretty easy. Overall, it was a great experience interviewing with the company. I thought I did pretty well during the on-site interview, but unfortunately, I did not get an offer.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Boston, MA (US)) in December 2014.

Interview

Three step interview process that lasted about a month. Very informative, not drilling you with questions. Just more to get to know you and what kind of person you are. Interviewed directly with potential boss and got to know him fairly well- very nice guy. Developed an understanding of the company and how everything is run.

Interview Questions

• Why you're interested in the position?   1 Answer

Enterprise Finance Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Applied through my school's career website, had 1 interview on campus & was called in for a superday 2 weeks later. Interviewers were all very personable, not too many difficult questions - just be prepared to answer Why New York Life? Why Finance? lots of behaviorals also. be patient as it takes a while for them to give out the offers after the super day

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you applied financial principles in an academic setting   Answer Question

Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis, MD (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Annapolis, MD (US)).

Interview

The recruiter contacted me after discovering an old resume I forgot I had on careerbuilder.com. I am always open to hearing offers and this was a chance to work in a field and actually utilize what I studied in college.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions due to the unique circumstances during my interview. An agent stepped in to retrieve a file and it turned out we knew each other. An offer was made on the spot after he vouched for me.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There were no negotiations. The interview turned very informal once another agent popped his head in the office and he recognized me. It turns out I knew him through some friends. I was offered the job on the spot pending background/credit check.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (New York, NY (US)) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted the same day to set up an interview for the following week. The interview was pretty straight forward one-on-one. I walked him through my résumé and spoke about my goals, answering a few behavioral questions. The interviewer then spoke briefly about the position but mainly about the career track and company culture. Very helpful and very easy to talk to. Our discussion lasted about an hour and I then took a personality test. After the test, the interviewer let me know about the process that would follow. I received word that same day about a follow up interview with one of the managing partners for a week later.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult, be ready to answer anything about your résumé as well as personal experiences applicable to the position.   Answer Question

Actuarial Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at New York Life in November 2014.

Interview

I applied on their career site and got an interview invitation in four days. The first round was a phone interview, usually with an actuarial student at New York Life assisting in recruiting for their Actuarial Internship Program. It lasted for a little over half an hour. I heard back a few days after the interview. The whole process was really quick and professional.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in an actuarial career?   Answer Question
    • Questions on projects from past internships   Answer Question
    • Why New York Life   Answer Question
    • How can an insurance company manage its own risk related to selling an insurance on a financial product, for example, on a stock   Answer Question