New York Life

Relevance Date Difficulty

Agent Interview

Agent
Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)

I applied through another source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

Interview Details The interview process is lengthy, but not difficult. First stage was a company presentation with questions regarding education, experience, and insurance or financial background. A little bit of family information questions were asked, but nothing prying or of a deeply personal nature. Second stage is the compensation overview. It took an hour and a half and it is quite detailed and fairly complex. I have not attended the third interview yet, which will be on the marketing plan and should take an additional hour. I expect an offer to follow.

Interview Question – The hardest question, but age old in interviews, that was asked was "tell me about yourself."   View Answer

Financial Services Professional

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in October 2013.

Interview Details They posted a position on a job site. Got called the same day and was in for a screening interview with an HR screener. Was invited back with the partner and then asked to attend a compensation presentation outlining their the pay structure. This meeting was also a sales pitch for the company: history, stability, ratings, etc. But it also was designed to show in detail the seeming ease of making over 6 figures in a year with the company. Was invited again to be given an offer.

Company was very buttoned-up in suits and business attire as would be expected in a financial company. Managers/partners were in their own offices. Things seemed a bit hushed. Not much laughing or even much talking.

Interview Question – Tell me about something you failed at and how did you respond? (Standard job interview question.)   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

Interview Details I was contacted 2-3 days after I sent in my application and scheduled an interview two days later. It was a somewhat formal initial interview getting to know me and my goals/motivation on my career. Most of the questions were about my personality, goals, achievements, and ambitions. They also presented a lot of information about the background of the company which you SHOULD research.

Interview Question – Where do you want to be in 5 years? Where do you want to be in 10 years?
It's a simple question but they were trying to see what my ambitions and intents were.
  View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Financial Services Professional

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details Applied through college job board, was contacted through email and then they invited me in for an in person interview. I then completed a personality assessment along with some basic arithmetic/logic questions in their office. The interview was only with one guy, and it was pretty informal. I feel like they are looking for people that have social skills and can communicate/sell their product. They don't really care about your past experience, since you're basically responsible for your entire income and they don't have to put much equity into you. Their current employees come from all walks of life, and it seems to be a younger bunch than some of the other companies I interviewed at. However, they are nicer than other similar companies because they will give you a stipend while you are studying for the series 6, whereas most insurance/financial sales companies do not. I don't know why they want their employees to take the 6 and not the 7, since the 7 covers more territory. I was offered the job on the spot. Office attire is on the formal side, so make sure if you're wearing a suit and tie, polished shoes etc.The entire process was spread over several weeks because I was still in school and had difficult scheduling.

Interview Question – nothing really stands out.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I didn't want my first job out of college to be commission based. I wanted something more financially secure even if it is potentially less lucrative in the short term

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Insurance Sales Agent
Glendale, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in March 2014.

Interview Details The interview process was very different. It started with a personality test that you must pass in order to get a second interview. Next, questions needed to be answered on a computer, and you typed them out rather then speaking face to face. Then after you answered the questions you would talk about your answers in person.

Interview Question – When did you make a bad decision? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

Insurance Agent
Salem, OR (US)

I applied in-person and interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details I met with a NY Life company representative at a career fair, where the representative asked me to complete a personality quiz/skills assessment on a laptop computer he had at the fair. So after siting in the corner and completing the assessment on the laptop, the results were emailed to the rep and I passed. The assessment was mostly geared toward evaluating your level of persistence/sales aggressiveness and what your pre-conceived ideas were concerning insurance agents in general. After chatting and going over my resume with the representative at the career fair, we set a time to meet for a formal interview.

The formal interview took 3 hours. I was not told this would be the case so I had to miss an appointment I'd scheduled for later that day. 90% of the interview was the same NY Life representative talking at me about their company and then "using me as an example" to go through their sales pitch. This amounted to asking personal questions about my marital status ("What members of your family would you need to help out by leaving life insurance money? ...I assume you don't have a spouse or a long-term partner?"), my age ("So at what age do you plan to retire? ...And how many years do you have until then?"), and my current financial situation (how much money I had in my checking, savings, and any assets/liabilities I had). These questions were incredibly invasive and I can honestly say I was so taken aback by the questions that I ended up answering most of them out of shock. I even told him that I'd never had an interview where an employer asked me about my bank account and he just shrugged it of: "Well we're just having fun here, and you are interviewing with a financial agency after all..."

I really can't recommend NY Life. In the end, they seem to care less about the agents they're hiring and more about the company's reputation. I was even told that "When you're starting out, if you clearly don't have much experience, you can't win people over because of who you are or your dedication to the job, you win them over because of the company you work for."

Interview Question – I wasn't expecting to be asked about my financial status and then told what my net worth was according to the interviewing agent.   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details Very professional staff and office. I was contacted within a week of responding to a post and had an interview within 1-2 weeks. The process was very thorough and informative.

Interview Question – Questions about my personal career goals.   Answer Question

Accounting/Finance Intern Interview

Accounting/Finance Intern

Interviewed at New York Life

Interview Details Went into the office in New York, the staff was really polite, had two back to back interviews that lasted roughly 30 min. Nothing too intimidating, questions were pretty straight forwards, they mainly discussed the position itself and I asked questions based on that, which I think helped me in this interview.

Interview Question – What segment of your resume are you most proud of?   Answer Question

Life Insurance Agent Interview

Life Insurance Agent
Myrtle Beach, SC (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in December 2013.

Interview Details The process involves a series of three interviews with the current manger. They do not care all that much about your previous work history, unless you have worked in the insurance field before. They are very picky with whom they hire and you must look and act professionally to even be considered. Even if you are called back for another interview, that is when they sell you the greed about being an insurance salesman. They are looking for greasy people to push insurance.

Interview Question – How greedy could you be if you were to be hired   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No salary

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 days - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details Met the partner at a career fair and got signed up for an interview the next morning. Initial interview was very informative about the company, office, and position. A second interview was scheduled immediately two days later. More extensive interview, lasted about an hour. A third interview was to be scheduled at my convenience and interest.

Interview Question – What sets you apart from all of the other candidates?   Answer Question