New York Life

Updated 15 Nov 2014
Updated 15 Nov 2014

2.4

Bilingual Insurance Sales/Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life in August 2014.

I applied online on a Saturday and received a call from them two days later on that Monday. After going to the first interview, I decided it wasn't what I was looking for so I opted out of the other two interviews. It is a total of 3 interviews for the starting position. 100% commission based.

Interview Questions
    • - Why NY Life?
      - If I were to call your best friend, what would he/she say about you?
      - 5 words that would describe you
      - Why insurance sales?
        Answer Question

Mortgage Loan Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online – interviewed at New York Life in August 2014.

Standard pre-screen phone call. Next was a one on one interview with the director. Got invited for a second round interview which was also one on one.

The people are really friendly and it was quite easy speaking to them. Sadly, I did not get the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in August 2014.

Directly got a interview for my position, however, when I headed to the office, they told me the internship can not be provided to international students because they want the internship to become a full time job.

Career Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Within just there weeks since I posted my resume on a job-links website I was contacted via an email from the NYL recruiter for an in-person interview. The introduction interview was scheduled quickly along the later day of week. My first impression of the NYL recruiter was friendly, professional, thorough and tactful. The actual interview took about an hour. Followed by a Personality Test that NYL requires for assessing the candidate's "potential" career path within the lines of field agent or corporate management's role. It's very clear throughout the whole process that NYL recruits are well-trained and well-prepared for screening and hiring the prospects.

Interview Questions
    • What my prior career experiences can apply to the life insurance business?   Answer Question

Marketing Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

The people were genuine, but the interview process wasn't effective. As a candidate, those on the team that met with me during two interview cycles did not convey a clear picture of what the position really would entail. It seemed as if perhaps the role wasn't clearly identified before they tried filling a staffing hole or newly created position. I was offered the job, which I declined.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in July 2014.

First interview went well. Second interview was disappointing since hiring manager never showed up. He left me waiting for over an hour. They don't validate parking. The hiring manager called me 15 minutes after 3pm to see where I was and stated that we had an interview at 2pm. I laughed it off since I am looking for training and support. If the manager is too busy to meet with me on time, then how will the support be? I waited in the lobby for an hour before I left. Maybe that's some kind of a test to determine how much of a push over you are.

Tax Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied for a position online and received a phone call about a week later from a recruiter with questions on my resume (what are your current duties, how would you describe your personality, etc.). The day of the interview I met with two separate managers who asked the same questions as above. This was more of a chit chat interview to get a feel for your personality and describe the job duties. Each interview was scheduled for 30 minutes, but we went over about 5-7 minutes each. I was informed that the next step would a second round of face to face interviews with upper management, but I actually received a verbal offer one week later. They asked me to start three weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • What are you most dissatisfied with at your current job?   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life in July 2014.

First interview was meeting with the recruiter- straight forward, laid back, more of a rundown of the company and answering any questions that I may have, inviting me back to meet with a senior partner. Second interview was with a partner- still relatively simple, didn't ask any technical questions, gave his rundown on the company, asked me a few questions, answered any questions I had. Third interview was fully a rundown of the company, presentations on pay structure, benefits, etc. more of them selling the company to you. Fourth and final interview was back again with the partner to finalize the entire process and to assure the two of you would work well together.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in July 2014.

Was referred to the company by a friend then was called by a NYL rep. Spoke to him on the phone for about 20 minutes then he asked me to come in for a meeting. We then had a 1-1 meeting. Went over bits of training and financial incentives. Seemed pretty clear cut. Incentives were great and straightforward.

Not right fit.

Life Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in July 2014.

I was contacted by an manager's assistant after I posted my resume to a job website. She set up a meeting with a manager. He interviewed me then had me take a career assessment survey. After that I was to follow up with him the next day to go over my results. I passed, so I continued on to the compensation/training group interview. I chose at that point that the position was not for me.

Interview Questions
    • Key qualities that have been passed down from a mentor.   Answer Question