New York Life Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 25, 2014
384 interviews

2.4

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed through other source - interviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

The initial contact was via email. Subsequent communication was always prompt and courteous. The company seemed very "warm," that is people friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Did you ever want to start your own business and why or why not?   View Answer

Although the position was intriguing, don't think it is the right fit for me.

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Providence, RI (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI (US)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

I was interviewed for the Financial Services Representative position. The process took about two weeks, but I had a phone screening interview and then a personal interview with a managing director. After taking a candidate profile test, I was going to be connected with a partner with New York Life.

Interview Questions
    • The interviews were behavioral. They were trying to get to know me and they led me ask them questions regarding the company and the position.   Answer Question

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days - interviewed at New York Life in March 2014.

I went on two interviews with NY Life. I believe they found my resume on Career builder, as they were 1 of about 15 insurance companies to contact me. I liked the people that I met with, thought they were all very nice and personable.
    They make it very clear that there is potential to make a lot of money if you work with them.

I definitely felt I was being "sold", rather than being interviewed. I did my homework on the company, but I didn't feel that they did their homework on me.

I was told in my first interview that I had been flagged for a management position. I found out later that the management opportunity wouldn't come for several years.

The position is 100% commission. They will try and skirt any questions about compensation until the 3rd interview.

If this sort of position is your bag. Then go for it. Not for me though.

Interview Questions
    • I was not really asked any traditional interview questions.   Answer Question

Retirement Solutions Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

There were three individuals that sat in on the interview process. I was asked to walk through my resume and then a series of behavioral based questions. Have you ever experienced? How would you handle? Describe a time when...those type of questions.

Interview Questions
    • What motivates you?   View Answer
    • Have you ever had a difference of opinion with another coworker and how did you resolve it?   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Applied through a campus recruiting tool. A recruiter followed up with an email and a personality test. Then there was a one on one interview with the Partner. Very quick and easy process.

Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

The interview process is lengthy, but not difficult. First stage was a company presentation with questions regarding education, experience, and insurance or financial background. A little bit of family information questions were asked, but nothing prying or of a deeply personal nature. Second stage is the compensation overview. It took an hour and a half and it is quite detailed and fairly complex. I have not attended the third interview yet, which will be on the marketing plan and should take an additional hour. I expect an offer to follow.

Interview Questions
    • The hardest question, but age old in interviews, that was asked was "tell me about yourself."   View Answer

Financial Services Professional Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in October 2013.

They posted a position on a job site. Got called the same day and was in for a screening interview with an HR screener. Was invited back with the partner and then asked to attend a compensation presentation outlining their the pay structure. This meeting was also a sales pitch for the company: history, stability, ratings, etc. But it also was designed to show in detail the seeming ease of making over 6 figures in a year with the company. Was invited again to be given an offer.

Company was very buttoned-up in suits and business attire as would be expected in a financial company. Managers/partners were in their own offices. Things seemed a bit hushed. Not much laughing or even much talking.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about something you failed at and how did you respond? (Standard job interview question.)   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

I was contacted 2-3 days after I sent in my application and scheduled an interview two days later. It was a somewhat formal initial interview getting to know me and my goals/motivation on my career. Most of the questions were about my personality, goals, achievements, and ambitions. They also presented a lot of information about the background of the company which you SHOULD research.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you want to be in 5 years? Where do you want to be in 10 years?
      It's a simple question but they were trying to see what my ambitions and intents were.
        View Answer

Financial Services Professional Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Applied through college job board, was contacted through email and then they invited me in for an in person interview. I then completed a personality assessment along with some basic arithmetic/logic questions in their office. The interview was only with one guy, and it was pretty informal. I feel like they are looking for people that have social skills and can communicate/sell their product. They don't really care about your past experience, since you're basically responsible for your entire income and they don't have to put much equity into you. Their current employees come from all walks of life, and it seems to be a younger bunch than some of the other companies I interviewed at. However, they are nicer than other similar companies because they will give you a stipend while you are studying for the series 6, whereas most insurance/financial sales companies do not. I don't know why they want their employees to take the 6 and not the 7, since the 7 covers more territory. I was offered the job on the spot. Office attire is on the formal side, so make sure if you're wearing a suit and tie, polished shoes etc.The entire process was spread over several weeks because I was still in school and had difficult scheduling.

Interview Questions

I didn't want my first job out of college to be commission based. I wanted something more financially secure even if it is potentially less lucrative in the short term

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Glendale, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in March 2014.

The interview process was very different. It started with a personality test that you must pass in order to get a second interview. Next, questions needed to be answered on a computer, and you typed them out rather then speaking face to face. Then after you answered the questions you would talk about your answers in person.

Interview Questions
    • When did you make a bad decision? How did you handle it?   Answer Question