Norfolk Southern Interview Questions

Updated 21 Oct 2014
Updated 21 Oct 2014

2.8

Operation Supervisor Trainee Interview

You are contacted by email from Norfolk to go down to the corporate headquarters. The interview is with a group of individuals with different backgrounds where you learn about the company and the different opportunities. Then you are taken to a separate 1 on 1 interview were you are asked more detailed questions about your past experience.

Interview Questions
    • They ask a lot of questions about your experience in the field you are trying to be hired for. I didn't encounter any strange or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Norfolk Southern.

My interview process started at school. It seemed that this interview was to see if I met the basic requirements - G.P.A, Major, etc.. My next interview was more at the end of an information session. Once again a very basic interview. My next two interviews were with the department managers versus HR. These interviews were very intense and specific. They asked a lot of analytical and customer service questions.

No negotiation.

Communications Signal Interview

Very straight-forward process. I did a prescreening interview after submitting my resume. They asked questions such as what is your leadership experience, do you have construction experience, what is your leadership style, etc. They emailed me saying they wanted an on-site interview in which they flew me down to Atlanta, GA for a 45 minute interview with some high-up managers within the company. They asked tell me about a time that you had to troubleshoot, what is your experience with engineering, how would you go about fixing a malfunctioning circuit, and other similar questions.

Interview Questions
    • There really were no difficult questions, just be confident and own the answers.   Answer Question

Coop/ Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in September 2014.

Very friendly. Easy to talk to. Asked typical interview questions expected at any interview. Felt the overall experience was very positive from an interview standpoint as well as an experience standpoint. I look forward to moving on to the next steps and believe the interview experience is a reflection of the standards that Norfolk Southern holds themselves to.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time you faced adversity".   View Answer

Conductor Interview

luck of the draw!! fill out online app, and placed into pool of about 300 applicants, then the computer filters out until its less than 100 applicants. then your invited to an interview.

Interview Questions
    • There is nothing you could have possibly have done in the past that can prepare you for the railroad   Answer Question

OSS Representative Interview

Invited to hiring event. They were initially not prepared. I believe this was due to the hotel staff. We were given a broad overview of the company. Took an aptitude test, which if you didn't pass, you were out. If passed, took a typing test, which weeded out more people. Panel interviews were done next. It was an all day process. Hoping to hear back from them soon. They were honest and up-front about the hours, pay and environment.

Railroad Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allentown, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allentown, PA (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Norfolk Southern in August 2014.

I just went through a hiring session made it to final 7 did the interview they said wait 5 days to hear if your have a job offer. Do they mean 5 business days or 5 actual days because I'm going on 7 days Wich is also 5business days

Communications and Signals Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern.

I applied at my school's engineering career fair. The guy I talked to was pretty cool and the job seemed interesting. They seemed to like me too so I got an interview the next day. The interview was with an HR rep, so he didn't know too much about what I would be doing. But the interview questions were pretty standard: describe your management style, when you overcame a challenge, when you had to use critical thinking etc. I had to apply online of course after that. I got an email a week or two later about an interview in Atlanta. They flew me down to Atlanta and interviewed with the department heads and another HR rep. The questions were basically the same as before so it wasn't too bad. They also gave me a $50 gas card to cover my expenses. And a few weeks later I got a call that they were offering me a position.

Conductor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Applied online, got an email saying i was invited to attend a job briefing, took a test that covered math, mechanical, reading, and personality (pretty basic stuff, most finished early.) Out of the 22 people who showed up, they posted a list afterwards of who they selected to interview, I think they hired 4 out of the 12 interviewed. Now i have my background check and medical check. I think the only reason why I got called for an interview is because my current job involves being very cautious, following the rules, and being safe. If you don't have any experience that you can easily relate to the life of a conductor...goodluck...

Interview Questions
    • A lot of "what if" situational questions. Give specific examples of how you are safe in your current workplace, how would you deal with this conflict.. what would your boss say about you..   Answer Question
    union

Conductor Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in July 2014.

Applied for a conductor position out of Columbus, ohio. Got an email a day later saying I had been invited to a hiring session. Out of the 30 people they invited, 26 or so showed up. We took a 75 question test that involved reading, math, mechanical, and factual questions. Out of the 26 that came, 15 of us moved on to the actual interviewing process. The interview lasted no more than 15 minutes. They asked me question that they had asked previously on the application that I had filled out online. They also asked a couple questions about myself. They like people with outdoor work experience. It was an overall simple interview. The people who interviewed me were the train master and the hr lady.

Interview Questions
    • Can you be at work within an hour and thirty minutes?   View Answer
    • Have you ever worked around big machinery or equipment?   View Answer
    Don't act cocky or overly self-confident. Just relax, talk, and be yourself. The train master may not seem interested, but they really are listening. Try and crack a joke to make them laugh and remember you.