Norfolk Southern Management Trainee Interview Questions

Updated 21 Oct 2014

2.9

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Norfolk Southern.

My interview process started at school. It seemed that this interview was to see if I met the basic requirements - G.P.A, Major, etc.. My next interview was more at the end of an information session. Once again a very basic interview. My next two interviews were with the department managers versus HR. These interviews were very intense and specific. They asked a lot of analytical and customer service questions.

No negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Norfolk Southern

Management Trainee Interview

I submitted my resume at a college career fair and was contacted to weeks later to attend an information session. At the session, HR reps gave detailed information about the jobs they were looking to fill and administered a personality test and some sort of logic/common sense test. Lunch was provided, then each attendee was assigned a time for a one on one interview with an HR rep. Mine went great! I was contacted again by HR 2 weeks later and invited to an overnight session for a second round of interviews. NS paid for travel and hotel stay. Night one was a general Q and A and dinner with HR. The following morning were the 2nd and 3rd interviews. I was contacted two weeks later and offered a position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in March 2014.

Very positive experience all around. Everyone is nice. It started from college. I had a interview face to face on campus and was then flown down to ATL about a week or two later. Once there they set you up with a room in a hotel close by and you meet up for dinner. After dinner, you're free for the rest of the night. The next day you have your interview. Two separate interviews and they ask pretty basic questions. If you find yourself stressed out just remember its mainly about how you answer your questions! They want to see how you react under scrutiny and stress. Good Luck! I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

Management Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

A short phone interview, and then I was flown to Norfolk for a meet and greet and two interviews. I didn't get called back for a final interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would you develop a pricing strategy with a client?   View Answer

Management Trainee Interview

In-person "pre-selection" interview on college campus. If selected, move on to an 8hr presentation and management test with another short interview to determine which department your skills fit into. If selected by that department, you'll be invited to a group dinner followed by 3 panel interviews.

Interview Questions
    • An understanding of the railroad industry and its challenges would be helpful but not required. Enthusiasm for managing others and working in a team is a plus.   Answer Question
    They do not negotiate salaries.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Norfolk Southern.

First, they fly you to one of the cities where your job may be located. The night before the interviews, they held an information/networking session to get to know the people you will be interviewing with. The next day, the interviews take place, there are three separate interviews, a half hour each.

Interview Questions
    • Not really a difficult question, but one I was unprepared for was, what motivated me.   View Answer

Management Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Norfolk Southern in March 2013.

Phone interview was followed by an aptitude test. I must say it was the hardesr test I've taken. Not really sure what the point of it was, as the questions had no relevance to the company or job I had applied for. Company flew me down to Atlanta for the final interview where I had to seperate interview. The first was with HR and my department supervisor. The second was with HR and a senior member of another department.

Interview Questions
    • Interview was a breeze. They asked questions about my resume and my experience with conflict with other employees/co-workers.   Answer Question
    Set salary range for my department but I got offered more for my technical degree.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Norfolk Southern in February 2013.

The hiring process was a huge waste of time. You meet with 10-14 people in one day, and it was clear early on that they had already made a decision (i.e. did not want to hire another attorney). The labor relations group that I was interviewing with did not seem to have much input on the pool of candidates, which meant that candidates like me (attorneys) were not weeded out earlier.

Management Trainee Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in October 2012.

First interview was at my school. I was interviewed by 2 people with an HR rep. I took the online test before. This was my second time applying. I was flown to Atlanta a few weeks later. The first part of the interview was a panel discussion with current employees then a dinner with employees and other candidates. The next day I had 2 interviews both were with one exec and one hr person.

They paid for the flight, hotel, and provided us with a prepaid American Express card for incidentals.
    Overall everyone I met was really nice. The first interview I had the interviewers seemed a little rigid.

Management Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Norfolk Southern in July 2012.

I was contacted 4-5 months after applying online. They simply asked if I was still interested in employment and I, the unemployed college grad that I was, said yes. I filled out an online questionnaire. This was quite extensive. I was then contacted for an interview in norfolk. They flew me out and put me up in a hotel for a night. After that interview I was contacted again to do a second interview in Atlanta. Same deal, they put me up in a hotel for the night. After a day worth of interviews, dinner, and a question session with a current trainee, they sent us to the airport to fly home. I was contacted while at the airport with a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • When interviewing in Atlanta, I interviewed with high level bosses. They wanted to hear commitment with the company. The railroad is a very old school industry and the higher level bosses have the same old school mentality. They were interested in hearing about where I saw my future with the company and if I was willing to bleed and sweat Norfolk Southern.   Answer Question
    They laid out what they offered management trainees from the first interview. Plain and simple, no negotiating at that point.