North Star Resource Group Interview Questions

Updated 20 Mar 2015
Updated 20 Mar 2015

2.8

Supervisor, Adviser Technical Services Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at North Star Resource Group (Minneapolis, MN (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

The process started with filling a form that required me to enter basic information such as Past experience, qualifications etc. Once that was done, I was asked to go to the third floor. As soon as I got off the lift, the interviewer was waiting for me.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult situation you faced and how did you resolve the situation?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at North Star Resource Group in September 2014.

Interview

Process took about 1.5 months, three phone interviews (one with recruiter, one with future mentor, one with regional manager), one in person interview, and a personality test. Had to fill out a really long booklet and prepare a marketing plan.

Interview Questions

I got a better offer somewhere else

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at North Star Resource Group (Phoenix, AZ (US)) in March 2014.

Interview

Two phone interviews followed by a third one that should have been in person, but due to my location at school the third one was also held over the phone. Straight forward interview questions about future, past accomplishments and jobs.

Interview Questions

• Tell me 5 characteristics that best describe yourself, and a reason why for each one.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at North Star Resource Group (Denver, CO (US)) in February 2014.

Interview

Many steps. First I needed to pass a personality test to make it to the phone interview. From the phone interview there was an in-person interview with two people. Needed to complete a project that included my natural market and a questionnaire

Interview Questions

• Is this something you really want to do for the rest of your life?   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at North Star Resource Group (Phoenix, AZ (US)).

Interview

I applied through my schools career website. Later I got a call from the head recruiter and had a brief interview consisting of behavior questions. I believe it lasted around 10 minutes. After the recruiter had me take an online personality test. It was very interesting consisting of what I would do in a situation and what I think my boss would want me to do. After I "passed" that I was called in to meet with the District Vice President and 2 other FA's. One of the FA went over my personality quiz and asked me about my "weak points". Vice President asked me a lot of behavioral questions and then pitched what the company is all about. After that the other FA came in and answered all my questions. For my next interview I had to write up what was a report answering questions such as why do you think people fail in this industry and also to make a fake schedule. After I submitted that I came in again and spoke to the VP about the position and the report I had written. He told me very very clearly about what the position entailed how difficult it would be from the get go and how financial straining it is at first. He even went over my budget with me. Very professional and sincere about how much effort I would have to put in. After this interview I had to interview 8 people I knew about their financial situation and whether they thought I would do well in the industry. They never asked me to give them that information or use it to prospect for clients, rather as a way to see my comfort and ability to get out there. Finally spoke to the CEO of the company and the VP one more time and finally offered the position.

Interview Questions

• There is a lot of impact that the report makes. Specifically what is called the COI report which is the center of influence report, where you write down all the people you know that can introduce you to future clients. So think thoroughly of whom you may know.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation you get what you can earn.

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at North Star Resource Group (Austin, TX (US)) in July 2013.

Interview

skills/personality assessment to start, then interviewed with recruiter, was called back to interview with two advisors, then got to meet with my potential boss/mentor, lastly I was called back to be made an offer and start paperwork. The whole process took a while but it was thorough and not too difficult

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was little room to negotiate because the program structure has been in place for so long and I didn't want to sacrifice my commission payout to take a base salary

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at North Star Resource Group (Minneapolis, MN (US)) in April 2013.

Interview

Two phone interviews. Followed by an in person interview. Interview was 30 minutes with just the recruiter. Very straight forward questions about future, why financial advising, etc.

Interview Questions

• What was your biggest failure/accomplishment during your last job?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at North Star Resource Group in December 2011.

Interview

Emailed a "Talent Recruitment" employee with a brief cover letter and resume. Phone interview was scheduled a couple days later. Interviewer was not friendly at all, but the questions were pretty standard (i.e. strengths, weaknesses, time you failed, time you succeeded).

Interview Questions

• What is one of your weaknesses?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at North Star Resource Group (Dallas, TX (US)) in December 2011.

Interview

Received a call telling me to take a personality test. The personality test is long and is usually failed towards the end. Note: it is easy to fail. Apparently 80% of candidates fail.

Apparently, should I have passed the test, I would have had a long interview process consisting of sales pitches, meeting with senior executives, etc.

Interview Questions

• Personality Test: Which would you believe that employers like to hear?   1 Answer

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at North Star Resource Group in August 2011.

Interview

Started with a personality test, then a phone interview. After that there was a background interview. About a week later I was scheduled for an interview where I ask current employee's about there job and experiences so far within the company. Next step would have been filling out a business plan and presenting it to senior partner. Friendly people.