Northwestern Mutual

Getting the Interview

47 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details Was contacted through a phone call. Interview was very professional with straight forward questions. I felt that alot of the questions were geared toward my interactions with other people. This can be as expected though since it was for a advisory position.

Interview Question – Alot of the questions were straight forward.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not the best fit

Fort Worth, TX (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2013.

Interview Details This is not a financial advising position. This is an insurance sales position. They want you to make as many phone calls and meet with as many people as you can to try to sell them insurance. It this is not a problem for you then the money can be quite decent after a few years.

Interview Question – There isn't really a hard question. Either you will like selling insurance or not.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – This is a sales position disguised as a financial advisor position.

Naperville, IL (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details My financial advisor saw me as a potential candidate and had the company contact me to recruit me. I currently already had a job as an accountant, so we had multiple discussions about the job and whether I would be a good fit. I was very interested in working for the company, just not as a financial advisor. The questions were all directed towards that, and the direction of the discussion never changed. I knew I didn't want the position, but there was never any other potential positions discussed in further detail. A company this large, but in order to get your foot in the door it seems you have to start as an advisor.

Interview Question – All questions were very straightforward due to the nature of my situation - already having a job I was happy with. What do you like/dislike about your job, where do you see yourself in 3 years, 5 years, strengths/weaknesses etc. The recruiter was very pleasant to deal with and wish the process could have gone forward, but in a different direction.   Answer Question

Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2014.

Interview Details First interview was a phone call, second interview was a face to face and went over the job position, third interview was assessment overview and the fourth was a market assessment

Interview Question – weren't really any difficult questions, they just ask you about yourself, and then the assessment pretty much tells them if you are a good fit for the company   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Fayetteville, AR (US)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2014.

Interview Details Started off with a group interview, and then I was asked back for a one on one interview after I took a personality test and scored extremely high. They asked me to survey 10 people about their financial position and insurance situations; it was at that point that I realized this job just wasn't for me. I didn't want to call people all day and look at my friends and family as a dollar sign. It's very hard for someone in college to sell insurance to those with the money.

Interview Question – Mostly easy basic interview questions. What has been your biggest failure, and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Irvine, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2013.

Interview Details Interview process was fairly extensive. Must attend 4 interviews, one of which requires you to complete what they call a market survey, which involves you contacting your closes friends and relatives to inquire about life insurance. I declined the offer.

Interview Question – Questions were fairly easy but, they don't really go into detail about the difficulty of the job. Basic questions like, what is your selling tactics, why do you think you will be good for the position.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Did not like the uncertainty of pay.

Financial Advisor

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details Behavioral questions

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions   Answer Question

Syracuse, NY (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details Well seasoned, successful producer...not just a recruiter.

Interview Question – Do you have a natural market?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Do what we tell you, SEE two new people a day and you'll succeed handsomly.

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details Passed first interview. Basic personality questions.

West Hartford, CT (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2013.

Interview Details There is a 3 round interview process. You are assigned a small project and also have to get a contact list of all the people you know. This is the way they do business. The pay is strictly performance based. Training is paid however.

Interview Question – Interview was pretty easy going. Not very difficult.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Compensation Issue

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northwestern Mutual

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northwestern Mutual Financial Advisor interview questions and advice. All 47 interview reviews posted anonymously by Northwestern Mutual employees and interview candidates.