Northwestern Mutual

Updated 12 Nov 2014

2.4

53 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2014.

Reached out to Northwestern. Revived a phone call to speak preliminary with a recruiter. Basic conversation about company and position. Fill out survey about characteristics and what your natural market is.

Interview Questions
  • No difficult questions, just asked questions more based on personality on to see whether or not youd be a good fit.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Financial Advisor Interview

This is not a Financial Advisor role. There is 0 base salary, and you get commission for selling insurance. I applied and got an interview almost instantly. After 5 minutes into the interview I could tell it was for selling insurance.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in September 2014.

Spoke with a recruiter, who cut the preliminary interview short after they found out that I have not personal or professional connection in the region that I was applying to for selling financial products. Unfortunately, this company seems to focus on selling financial products to friends and family, which can sour relationships.

Interview Questions
    • Do I have any personal or professional connections in the region that I am applying to.   View Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in July 2014.

Was contacted through LinkedIn by a recruiter. One of my MBA classmates had given my name to a contact there. However, when you arrive they give you a form basically requiring you to give them three names of people you would recommend to work there too (pyramid scheme anybody?).

Once inside the interview they talk about how strong the company is and how flexible the work is as long as you meet your goals. They never use the word sales, but: It's a sales job. They use terms like "Financial adviser" or "Financial rep" to lure people in the door with the hopes of something more than just selling life insurance, but that's all it turned out to be. Selling life insurance as well as other types of insurance. The commission sounded great, but overall this was not a job I was interested in. Especially because the words "base pay" never occurred in our conversation.

The interviewer could tell I was on the fence and said that typically the next step is to send out a personality test to assess if someone is a good fit and that I should decide to move forward or not after that. They never sent it. A month later the same recruiter emailed me saying I had been referred to her by someone and that she would love to meet me and discuss opportunities at the company. Pass.

Interview Questions
    • What's the most difficult thing in your life you have ever had to do?   View Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

First interview, and then second interview, followed by a questionnaire. And then last interview.

Interview Questions
    • What motivates you to work? How do you deal with rejection?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Initial interview on the phone, then meeting in person.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Was contacted through a phone call. Interview was very professional with straight forward questions. I felt that alot of the questions were geared toward my interactions with other people. This can be as expected though since it was for a advisory position.

Not the best fit

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

My financial advisor saw me as a potential candidate and had the company contact me to recruit me. I currently already had a job as an accountant, so we had multiple discussions about the job and whether I would be a good fit. I was very interested in working for the company, just not as a financial advisor. The questions were all directed towards that, and the direction of the discussion never changed. I knew I didn't want the position, but there was never any other potential positions discussed in further detail. A company this large, but in order to get your foot in the door it seems you have to start as an advisor.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were very straightforward due to the nature of my situation - already having a job I was happy with. What do you like/dislike about your job, where do you see yourself in 3 years, 5 years, strengths/weaknesses etc. The recruiter was very pleasant to deal with and wish the process could have gone forward, but in a different direction.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fayetteville, AR (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fayetteville, AR (US)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2014.

Started off with a group interview, and then I was asked back for a one on one interview after I took a personality test and scored extremely high. They asked me to survey 10 people about their financial position and insurance situations; it was at that point that I realized this job just wasn't for me. I didn't want to call people all day and look at my friends and family as a dollar sign. It's very hard for someone in college to sell insurance to those with the money.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly easy basic interview questions. What has been your biggest failure, and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Behavioral questions