Northwestern Mutual
3.7 of 5 1,128 reviews
www.northwesternmutual.com Milwaukee, WI 5000+ Employees

Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Intern Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Apr 08, 2014

Getting the Interview

37 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details The interviewing process included four steps. The first interview was a typical interview that asked basic questions getting to know me. The second interview was fairly odd. I was told I had to interview my interviewer. Before scheduling my next interview, I was told I would have to have ten surveys (half that I knew/half that were strangers) completed that asked for fairly personal financial information. I did not go back.

Interview Question – The interviewer asked if I knew anyone else that would I thought would be a good candidate for the job, and then immediately offered them an interview that day.   Answer Question

Minneapolis, MN (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2013.

Interview Details Easy

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself (personally, professionally, and financially) in ten years?   Answer Question

Sacramento, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2013.

Interview Details Three Rounds, three 1-on-1 interviews. All last about an hour each. Quick and painless. Recruiters are nice and evaluate your qualifications.

Interview Question – What was the biggest struggle that you've faced in life and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Newport Beach, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2013.

Interview Details The hiring process was very straight forward, after submitting an online application I was notified of my application having been received. I was contacted within a week through e-mail by a college recruiter who asked some general questions. Following the string of e-mails I was asked for a phone interview where my morals and ethics were the focus, the recruited asking the questions was engaging and inquisitive regarding every aspect of my answers. The final step of the interview was a presentation to the college recruited on a market analysis of potential clients for financial services.

Interview Question – I was asked for a specific instance of anyone I knew who had an experience with a financial representative and how it went.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was an intern, there was no negotiation. Strictly commission based with a weekly stipend upon receiving state license number.

Financial Representative Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2013.

Interview Details Total of three interviews. The first two are very behavioral. "Tell me about a time when...". Very friendly people and environment that felt more like a conversation than an interview. The third one is a presentation. As an interviewee, you are given some homework after the second interview, and you report your findings in the third.

Interview Question – Tell me about your biggest failure? How did you overcome it and what did you learn?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details Process took about a month. Quick to call back. This is a sales job, but with a well respected, serious company, so know what ou are getting into. Worked with two different hiring managers who were both very pleasant and professional. Overall very positive experience for a sales oriented career in insurance and finance.

Interview Question – They gave me two weeks to get in touch with 9 people and collect 45 references.   Answer Question

Albany, NY (US)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2014.

Interview Details Consists of 3 interviews. First is very basic and just behavioral questions. I will be going for my second one soon. Left first interview with homework assignment of finding a list of 60 contacts (mainly friends and family). Although calling friends and family does not seem fun, some family friends actually do need insurance and will be willing to obtain it through you. I find this as a stepping stone to other big internships.

Interview Question – Conversation flowed smoothly and did not seem stressful at all.   Answer Question

Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2013.

Interview Details The first interview was very standard. What are your strengths/weaknesses? When have you had to overcome adversity? Pretty straight forward questions. My interviewer was very friendly and relaxed. She was mainly interested in my ability to articulate thoughts clearly and demonstrate some level of personal determination. She gave me an "assignment" where I had to contact a number of people and interview them on their experiences with financial services. After that, I had a second interview which was pretty much designed to iron out the details. All in all, it was a pretty straight forward process. The people were nice and helpful. Nothing to stressful.

Interview Question – None of the questions were particularly unexpected or unusual. I think my interviewer may have asked me what kind of animal I would be, but that was mainly to see if I could think spontaneously. There was no right or wrong answer.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details Phone interview, then a skype interview. Asked to write down 100 people I know. Aked what I know about the industry.

Interview Question – What is Insurance?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Financial Representative Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details Applied online through school's careerlink. Received a call a couple days later asking to come into office for one on one interview. After the HR rep found out I wanted to work closer to home she referred me back to the offices closer to the city where I live. Went into the offices there and they offered me the position right after the interview.

Interview Question – All of the questions were pretty basic and simple such as, where do you see yourself in 10 years?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northwestern Mutual

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Intern interview questions and advice. All 37 interview reviews posted anonymously by Northwestern Mutual employees and interview candidates.