Northwestern Mutual

Getting the Interview

243 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Raleigh, NC (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details On campus Interview, Personality assessment, informational interview, practice client interaction and then final interview. Overall the staff and recruiters were really nice and willing to answer questions about the process. They were timely in responding and gave me enough time to respond to the offer. The personality assessment was mainly to see if you like client interaction, and the second to last step really assess if you like calling up people and setting up appointments and talks or not. If you don't like that then you should find a different position.

Interview Question – What about you would you like to improve upon?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I received better offer that was not in sales from another company.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details Six step interview process, including career/personality profiles as well as market analysis early on in the process.

Interview Question – Completing the 15 market surveys was more difficult than expected.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Commission job with too much risk for my comfort.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details First met with the Recuiting Manager. Then Took a few easy online assessments. After that was interviewed by managing director. THen asked to complete 15 person market research to see if im still interested in the job

Reason for Declining – Main focus I felt was just selling to friends and family

Wall, NJ (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2013.

Interview Details Originally called in for a one-on-one interview with a recruiter from the company. Had an interview with the recruiter and was offered a second interview two weeks later. I was given an assignment to complete to bring back with me for the second interview. Met with the college director for my second interview and the managing director. I was offered a position after my second interview.

Interview Question – The assignment that I was given from my first interview was to call 5 people that I know and to tell them that I am interested in possibly entering the financial services industry and tell them a little about what the job entails. After, I was told to try and obtain 10 referrals from each of those 5 people I had originally contacted.   Answer Question

Charlotte, NC (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2010.

Interview Details Very thorough, they want to know everything. But, in the end, they just seemed to want to hire everyone willing to work.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details First of four interviews completed, the first interview seemed to be more of a "how you will fit into the office" rather than trying to find qualifications. I have my second interview today (seemingly very easy to get to the second interview), which looks to be the biggest one of he process, as it is with the Managing Director, as opposed to the first one which was with the recruiter.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details Met the HR rep at a job fair who set me up with an interview. I work in financial services and had never heard of this company before, but what the heck. I have to say this was the weirdest interview I have ever had. The interviewer directed her questions more to my family and personal life than my professional experience - and aggressively so. She suggested that a good place to start a book of business would be to approach my family and friends. Creepy. At least I got a good sense of the high turnover at this company - and I did not even have to ask the question directly. Having worked in an administrative position for a prominent stockbroker years ago, I simply asked how Northwestern assigned walk in clients fairly to its brokers. The answer told me everything I needed to know. They bus the calls to a call center (apparently there are never any walk-in clients) because, and I quote, "We have no idea of how long our new reps will be here."

Interview Question – Recruiter repeatedly asked personal questions about my family and even wanted to know how my son died.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details Referred by a friend, he introduced me to a bunch of financial reps and they told me to come to their office for an interview. Sales part of the internship was great, but I didn't like targeting friends and families to sell insurance to them. I felt like they were using me to sell insurance

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details Resume submission followed by an online work preference survey, which asks candidates to rank personality descriptions from "that's me" to "not at all". Qualified candidate will be invited for a onsite interview at one of the groups that is hiring. Interview mostly includes basic questions with relatively fewer technical questions.

Interview Question – What will you bring to the company.   View Answer

Richmond, VA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2014.

Interview Details Contacted by recruiter and agreed to come in for interview. Asked series of scripted questions, but many were standard questions asked in most interviews. Was also asked questions about family, network, etc. for obvious reasons. What threw me off was getting asked for 5 people whp may also be interested in the position as well with names and numbers.

Interview Question – Being asked about my family and their backgrounds.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Comission based

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northwestern Mutual

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative interview questions and advice. All 243 interview reviews posted anonymously by Northwestern Mutual employees and interview candidates.