Northwestern Mutual

Average Difficulty
272 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details Very conversational. Must be able to call a lot of people on the phone. Some people just aren't cut out for the job, but if you do well at it you can be VERY successful.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions. Very straightforward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Simple

Schaumburg, IL (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in August 2013.

Interview Details I felt the in-office interview was pretty standard. I was a recent college graduate and interviewed with a college recruiter. She asked personal questions for 5-10 minutes to break the ice, ie. What kind of activities are you interested in, what the family does... etc. Then asked about my college experience, classes I took, and extracurriculars. Wanted to know how the things I experienced would help me in the job world. Asked how I deal with conflict and time management. After the first interview, they ask you to take a few on-line tests that determine your personality and decide if you would be a good fit for this position. You really must be honest to get an accurate score and see if you are really a good fit! After the test it took a couple days for the recruiter to contact me. If they decide you are NOT a good fit at this time, you may re-take the test after 6 months. If you ARE a good fit you go back in for an interview with the recruiter and a Senior Financial Representative. If you pass, the next interview is with 2 or 3 people from higher management.

Interview Question – Name an example of a time when you were overwhelmed, describe your emotions and how you dealt with the problem.   View Answer

Financial Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details I applied online and within about 2 weeks a received a phone call asking for an interview. During the call she told me about the internship and what is expected. I was at school so I had my interview when I was home for winter break. Really straightforward questions such as your biggest accomplishment and you strengths and weaknesses. They basically make you solicit clients yourself. Seems like the interns do most of the work (why they have 3,400 interns at a time)

Interview Question – Do you know a lot of people that would be in need of financial services?   Answer Question

Grand Haven, MI (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2014.

Interview Details I found a position in the West Michigan area and was immediately reached out to by two recruiters from two offices. I had two separate phone interviews, a video interview, and then three in person interviews at three offices.

Negotiation Details – It's not really a job you negotiate for, as the company knows exactly what they are looking for and have a definitive plan for you to follow. You need to earn it.

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details I applied via my university's job board and was contacted the same day to schedule an interview. My first interview consisted of a series of rather basic personality and background questions, with nothing on industry knowledge. My second interview consisted entirely of a pitch from the managing director, I did not answer any questions. I was then given a packet which contained a list of homework assignments which essentially called on me to provide Northwestern with my professional network. It asked me to list people I knew in different industries and from different areas in which I met them (college, neighborhood, etc.). I also had to prepare a self-pitch in which I gave a presentation about why I was a good candidate for the position. They did a very good job of displaying their environment as hard working and ethical, but I ended up accepting another offer.

Interview Question – What are your relationships with your mother and father like?   Answer Question

Tucson, AZ (US)

I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2013.

Interview Details The interview process is purely an assessment of your personality and a list of your network. If they see you are connected to wealthy people they will promise you an unlimited income based on how hard you work to bring you on board.

Interview Question – What does persuasion mean to you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I recieved a $4,000 singing bonus

Orlando, FL (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2012.

Interview Details The interview process had 3 interviews with an assessment. First interview went in a lot of detail on the position, which I really liked. Second interview was even more in depth, third interview went over benefits and compensation. I had a very clear picture of the position before accepting.

Interview Question – What is something you need to improve on?   Answer Question

Financial Representative

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details The process was a little nebulous, as I have a background in sales, but little experience in financial services. They were very clear about the wonderful opportunities available through the company, and it was very appealing to think I could move within any area of financial services that I could want. I was very surprised and turned off by the 100% commission. It was difficult for me to understand exactly what I'd be selling and to whom, however they seemed confident that I would learn all that info in their extensive and comprehensive training.

Interview Question – How would you build your own business base?   Answer Question

Financial Representative

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details Very quick and easy because they hire most applicants that can handle themselves in the interview. Network offices do their own hiring and applicants can pretty much choose a "home office." Background check was done before i was hired.

Negotiation Details – Not a salaried position.

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2014.

Interview Details There are four interviews. The first one is where you go over your résumé recruiting manager. Then they tell you about how great the job is and how much money you can make. They ask you how many people do you know well (you wouldn't need to be introduced by someone else) in the area. If that number is above 50, then you move on to the next round.

The second round is a personality test to see if you would be personable enough to be a good salesman. Again, if you answer these questions as the ideal candidate would, you move on.

The third part is a meeting with the branch manager. They basically ask the same questions as the hiring manager. Again, answer these questions as the ideal candidate would, and you move on. I started having second thoughts, and didn't get passed this round.

Interview Question – How many contacts do you currently have that you could call and set up an appointment with?   View Answer

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!