Northwestern Mutual
3.7 of 5 1,130 reviews
www.northwesternmutual.com Milwaukee, WI 5000+ Employees

Northwestern Mutual Financial Services Representative Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Mar 16, 2014

Getting the Interview

79 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Morristown, NJ (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details I met a recruiter through a college networking event. The whole process took about two weeks and consisted of two in-person rounds of interviews. Interview was very straight forward and consisted of very basic questions. I was also told to take a small little survey to assess my personality. It was not going to make / break my chances but it gave them an opportunity to see how I think.

Interview Question – How do you feel about rejection?   Answer Question

Financial Service Representative Interview

Financial Service Representative

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details great interview

Interview Question – strength and weakness   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2013.

Interview Details Applied on-line, received a call from the recruiter within 48 hours. Had 3 interviews; first with HR manager, then two with the hiring manager. Everything was going great until reading the fine print: Focus was to sell life insurance policies and not what I wanted.

Interview Question – None. They want to know you first as a person first, which was refreshing. They asked you questions on how would you dealwith difficult people   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Selling life insurance is not what I was looking for.

King of Prussia, PA (US)

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details Initially attended information session in KOP, PA. Offered 2nd interview. 2nd interview had to complete homework, give a presentation about how I would benefit NWM and why I was driven to NWM. Asked a few questions about my resume. Not much behavioral. Offered 3rd interview.

Interview Question – Biggest weakness.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Still have 3rd inteview coming.

Financial Services Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details They sell you on the position by making you think that you are being evaluated. If you can steam a mirror and can write down 250 names on a piece of paper they will "hire" you. They are offering you a contract. You are not interviewing to be an employee.

Negotiation Details – None. You won't be an employee.

Boston, MA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in August 2013.

Interview Details Lenghty interview process with good results. Market surveys are good indicator of possible success in the industry. Results were mostly positive.

Interview Question – Do you ever get angry?   View Answer

Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2010.

Interview Details The interview process was pretty laid back. It was basic conversations about what your greatest strengths and weaknesses are. The people at the office seemed pretty fun too work with, and relaxed. The work seemed like it consisted mostly of meeting with clients and conducting cold calls to retrieve business. As a new financial rep, youll sell mostly insurance at the company.

Interview Question – None basic conversational interview   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I wanted a salaried positon.

Very Easy Interview

Boston, MA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2013.

Interview Details Applied online, was called for initial 5 minute screening days later. Came into office for group interview. Was invited back for a one on one interview with a team member at my convenience. To my knowledge, everyone was invited back. I chose to pursue other opportunities. Everyone was very nice.

Interview Question – Are you interested in this job?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Better Opportunities.

Raleigh, NC (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details I had 3interviews. They were very open to me going to a different city to work. They asked a lot about the effort and time you are willing to spen to be successful. Very flexible. You speak to the hiring manager and the general agent.

Interview Question – What are you willing to do to be successful?   Answer Question

New York, NY (US)

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details Received a phone call, She gave me a quick interview on the spot. She asked me typical questions such as tell me about yourself, Do you know what nw does? Then we set up an appointment to do our first in person interview. The recruiter is very friendly and easy going. I had no problem talking to her. She explained a lot about the company while asking me questions. They are all typical questions that are already listed on glassdoor. Afterwards she told me to take an assessment exam online. It was 75 questions.

Interview Question – All the questions I have reviewed from glass door. There are nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northwestern Mutual

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northwestern Mutual Financial Services Representative interview questions and advice. All 79 interview reviews posted anonymously by Northwestern Mutual employees and interview candidates.