Northwestern Mutual

Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.3

138 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

The interview process was a series of three interviews, each becoming increasingly more in depth until I had convinced them I was the right man for the job. They looked at my history, my connections, my parents jobs, among other things. It required a fingerprinting, background check, and the likes.

Interview Questions
  • I was asked how I would go about cold calling someone, which took me by surprise.   Answer Question
I was given no negotiation, as it was the standard college-student internship position

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Intern Interview

I was given a two stage interview. The first was largely behavioral and I was sent home with a "homework" assignment to find 100 potential clients. I did not feel comfortable asking my parent's friends for contact information to be cold called for policies so and declined the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • All very straight forward questions. i.e. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2012.

Well. I thought this was one of the best interview processes i've ever experienced at the LA office. They were extremely friendly, and experienced at interviewing. I enjoyed it however I didn't take the job.

School

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Tulsa, OK (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Tulsa, OK (US)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2013.

Seemed to be more of a sales pitch than an interview. Discussed how interns could potentially make money and how that would bleed over into a potential job. However, did not seem clear exactly how the incentive structure was aligned.

Interview Questions
    • Providing contacts for sales leads during the interview.   Answer Question

Accepted different position

Intern Interview

interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2014.

I first received a phone interview from a recruiter, fallowed by an in person interview with a previous top intern. They want a list of 100 to 200 names of potential clients before the intern starts. I wasn't interested.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were basic tell me about yourself questions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wilmington, DE (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Three interviews. All very easy and laid back. Was basically offered the position immediately. This is a good experience for kids who don't need the money to work. They really want you to succeed because if you do they make lots of money. They have flawed methods of trying to build networks. Just using friends and family is not the way to go.

All commission. Not very good experience unless you want to sell life insurance which by itself isn't that lucrative.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Had an over the phone screening. Asked to make sure I was interested in the position. Face to face meeting lasting an hour. Asked basic questions such as where do you see yourself in the company etc. Also asked my business plan and who I would call in the area.

Interview Questions
    Nothing is really negotiable.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2013.

Mostly just providing information about what NWM does. It was not a very good interview process because they are asking you to basically cold call your friends and family and try to sell them insurance. If you want to call your college aged friends to sell them life insurance then this would be great.

Intern Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

3 step process, pretty straight forward, Got the internship and accepted. Room to be extremely successful if you set your mind to it. I met with the partner of the firm and he was a really laid back guy. Gave me stats on salary percentage of the office, I was blown away and motivated to pursue my career here!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing, mostly straight forward interview based questions.   Answer Question
    They congratulated me, and I met with the partner of the firm, really cool guy and look forward to meeting him more then once.

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2013.

3 stages:
    Info Session and assignment type of thing
    First interview on campus they give you a second sort of assignment and this one is with the recruiter. Normal questions.
    2nd interview at the office with someone higher up.

Interview Questions

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!