Northwestern Mutual Interview Questions

Updated 22 Apr 2015
1,096 Interview Reviews

2.4

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Long and lost contact multiple times, randomly reached back out to me to recontinue process. Currently in the process of continuing the interview process and will see how it goes. Have to be comfortable selling insurance to friends I hear.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

They seemed really eager to have me join their team, but then you realize that they are eager for *anyone* to join their team because the role of the intern is to get 100 of their friends and family to buy insurance. I don't understand why they have everyone pretense in going through their interview process when the only question that matters to them is whether you have 100 contacts.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I could develop a list of 100 people that I could communicate with about NW mutual   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Disorganized and misleading. Miscommunications among offices and corprate are frequent. People try to be nice and helpful but are so busy they generally do not know how things work, and can not tell you who to go to when things go awry. If one person decides they do not like you who is part of the hiring process there is no way around it; even if it is some kind of discrimination. For anyone looking to work there DO NOT spend any time or money until you are fully onboarded. This means a signed contract and approval from corporate. Also I recomend all aplicants ask for a list of the steps of the onboarding process, including dates for when things will be done and who to contact. Be vigilant and have everything in writting.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You do not really get to negotiate. You will get commission from the corporation and bonuses at the choice of your district manager.

Interview

Got in touch by campus recruitment. Scheduled an interview for next week for financial representative position. Recruiter was nice. We had a nice conversation and smooth interview. Although this is still related to finance, it is more like a sales position.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I could get in touch with certain amount of people.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

It was a 1 on 1 phone interview. Met some reps at a college job fair and was contacted by HR within a week from my desired working location. The interview was very easy going and the interviewer allowed me to easily keep the conversation flowing. It was laid back and the tone was conversational rather than interrogational. We spoke mainly about my experiences with a former employee and what I learned from those experiences.

Interview Questions

• Former employer. More conversational interview than interrogating me with questions.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Interview was held over the phone, very standard questions, i.e. your background, experience, why would you like to join Northwestern Mutual. Interviewer was very laid back and just asked questions, none of which were challenging. Seemed more like a personality test than anything else. However, position seemed to be more of a sales/business development position than analysis.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

First interview was an informal information session where I was interviewed alone. They offered the second round interview if I completed 10 surveys and came in to present a powerpoint.

Interview Questions

• How would you benefit the internship program?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Phone interview (took 1 hour), in person interview (took 45 Min), presentation (must be 5-7 minutes, given to a financial representative and a recruiter. Topic is a 4 question outline, provided by interviewers.)

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Three steps,
    1. Phone Interview
    2. In person group interview
    3. Rhino Project

Great Interview process

Very nice people and easy to communicate with

Felt like more of a conversation to get to know eachother rather than an interview

Very professional, especially at their office in Illinois

Overall, smooth interview process

Interview Questions

• Do you feel comfortable asking people questions face to face?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

There were three interviews. The first as a standard interview. The second was with the internship manager. The third you have to give a presentation on the internship to the manager.