Northwestern Mutual

Updated 1 Mar 2015
1,020 Interview Reviews

2.4

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Straight foreword interview, asked mostly questions about myself and why I'm interested. Mostly a behavioral interview with straightforward questions. No curveballs. I applied through the career website at my college and they got back to me within a couple of days. The interviewer was very friendly and easy to talk to. One of the easier interviews I've done. It was 30 minutes over the phone

Interview Questions
    • Why are you interested in this position?   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Skype interview which included the standard interview questions. Then there was an in person interview which followed the same style. Overall, fairly simple process. Offer was given within a week. I interned with them for 1 summer.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Prior to formal interviewing, an applicant completes personality/compatibility surveys via an online portal link provided by the recruiter. If the survey results trend towards the desired profile, then a baseline interview is requested by the recruiter. Professional business attire is required for this role, and you should arrive 15-20 minutes early. Plan on filling out contact/background/family info worksheet, which is provided when you notify reception of your arrival.

Typically, one passes through three interviewers, who assume different roles. The recruiter is presenting the corporate history and selling the opportunity for commission-based earnings associated with this role.

The second interviewer spends more time on the personality survey results, and in general, tells you repeatedly that it's not an easy job, and what it really takes to succeed in this role. This is the point where you should forget about the income growth possibility, and focus on your own financial reality and fiscal responsibilities, since this is a commission-based role, and the sales cycle can often be lengthy before you get paid. If not at all deterred by the second interviewer's disclosures, then you may be a good candidate. The final interview is with the managing partner of the office, and is mainly an evaluation of interpersonal and listening skills during the interaction, which are highly integral to the job role.

Overall, I felt it was very deliberate, thorough, and well planned interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Approximately how many personal and/or business related individuals do you have contact information for currently via social media networks, business networking, and your personal contacts?   View Answers (2)

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Very easy, basic questions about yourself, laid back. They did me three interviews. the first one was to know me. The second was with a financial advisor, to know the job and ask him questions. The third one you have to do a project.

College Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ (US)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Two - three stage interview process where you are encouraged to give your previous work experience and describe yourself. You should show that you've done research on the company and do not be afraid to ask questions about the position. Be energetic and confident!

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you would be a good fit for this internship?   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

The process is smooth and comfortable. The whole interview is very much like a conversation. If you go the next round they will give you actual homework to do before the next one. Work usually involves going out and surveying people. Be ready to actually step out of your comfort zone and your house to land this job. The job is also mainly sales based so make sure that is something you want to do before you proceed.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are mainly behavioral. Almost no technical question.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport Beach, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport Beach, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Was chosen by a campus recruiter. They were extremely nice and outgoing. Everyone who works there is vey friendly and always willing to help you with anything you need. Great work environment and very flexible with school and other job schedules.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Submitted my application through referral. Quick turn around time and was scheduled for interview within one to two weeks. Very streamlined process.

One on one with a recruiter of that firm, extremely friendly and made you feel comfortable. Spoke a lot about the role and day to day activities. Followed by a walk through of my resume and then ended with a tour of their office.

Everyone in the firms seemed extremely friendly. Great culture vibe.

Interview Questions
    • Asked you to speak more in depth about your resume a lot.
      Asked why I would be a good fit for a position like this.
      Typical interview questions.

View Answer

College Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

applied online herd back a few Weeks later. Got and interview and accepted the internship. Easy process because of high turnover and no one stays there I saw 4 ppl come and go durring my 3 month internship

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Asked me what are my ultimate goals in life, what were my acheivements, how did I learn from my previous mistakes in life, describing myself and my personality. All the questions where quite general and the interview was a good chunk of time, like 45 minutes but that was the first round and it was on the phone. Further interviews were in person and assigned us projects of who to call & your networks.

Interview Questions
    • See above, general interview questions, not really lots of surprises i'd say.   Answer Question

better off somewhere else.