Northwestern Mutual

Relevance Date Difficulty

Recruiter Interview

Recruiter
San Diego, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2014.

Interview Details The team did an excellent job getting to know me on a personal level. The interview was not at all transactional, they really illustrated a high level of customer service and genuinity. I really enjoyed the culture of the team, which in turn, gave me further reason to continue the interview process. They are not trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, if the position seems like a good fit for both parties, they will move forward accordingly

Interview Question – Questions about my family. It was nothing intrusive, but they seemed like they wanted to get to know more about me anbd my family. It helped put down my barriers, and open up to them. It was difficult, but i appreciated it.   Answer Question

Financial Services Representative Interview

Financial Services Representative
Wilmington, NC (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2013.

Interview Details Enjoyed luncheon with staff from Northwestern's Wilmington, NC office. Spoke with some great staff members including Managing Director, College Unit Director, and their Chief Recruiting Officer. After expressing interest in available positions, I left my contact information. Their recruiter promptly followed up, and scheduled an interview. I arrived and had a pleasant interview experience with a recruiter who asked appropriate questions. After that interview, another interview was scheduled with the College Unit Director. The entire process went well, and I would absolutely work for their office had I not experienced unfortunate family circumstances.

Interview Question – As a non-financial major, "So why are you interested in this position?"   View Answer

Reason for Declining – After a death in my immediate family, I declined the offer in order to spend time at home, in a different city.

Financial Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details I applied online and within about 2 weeks a received a phone call asking for an interview. During the call she told me about the internship and what is expected. I was at school so I had my interview when I was home for winter break. Really straightforward questions such as your biggest accomplishment and you strengths and weaknesses. They basically make you solicit clients yourself. Seems like the interns do most of the work (why they have 3,400 interns at a time)

Interview Question – Do you know a lot of people that would be in need of financial services?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

College Financial Representative Interview

College Financial Representative
Troy, MI (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2013.

Interview Details submitted resume and received a call a week later, scheduled an interview at their office about 2 weeks later. interview was very basic, just asked about me. then a day later they called me back in for another interview where a guy handed me a folder with some "homework" assignments and made it seem very exclusive. he wanted me to write down 100 people i could cold call.....

Interview Question – nothing difficult   Answer Question

Grand Haven, MI (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2014.

Interview Details I found a position in the West Michigan area and was immediately reached out to by two recruiters from two offices. I had two separate phone interviews, a video interview, and then three in person interviews at three offices.

Negotiation Details – It's not really a job you negotiate for, as the company knows exactly what they are looking for and have a definitive plan for you to follow. You need to earn it.

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details I applied via my university's job board and was contacted the same day to schedule an interview. My first interview consisted of a series of rather basic personality and background questions, with nothing on industry knowledge. My second interview consisted entirely of a pitch from the managing director, I did not answer any questions. I was then given a packet which contained a list of homework assignments which essentially called on me to provide Northwestern with my professional network. It asked me to list people I knew in different industries and from different areas in which I met them (college, neighborhood, etc.). I also had to prepare a self-pitch in which I gave a presentation about why I was a good candidate for the position. They did a very good job of displaying their environment as hard working and ethical, but I ended up accepting another offer.

Interview Question – What are your relationships with your mother and father like?   Answer Question

Financial Services Representative Interview

Financial Services Representative
Long Island City, NY (US)

I applied online and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details To many interviews, a lot of paper to tell you who they are and what they do, each interview gives you a closer look at how the succesful candidate has been able to be successful, basically reiterating the importance of having an established potential client base. so if you are not popular, don't have a bunch of friends and family, didn't grow up in or haven't lived in your community for many years, or simply if you're known around town as the one succesful person from a family of trailer trash, there is no need in taking the job because you can't help them grow.

Interview Question – how would I prospect for business   Answer Question

Tucson, AZ (US)

I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2013.

Interview Details The interview process is purely an assessment of your personality and a list of your network. If they see you are connected to wealthy people they will promise you an unlimited income based on how hard you work to bring you on board.

Interview Question – What does persuasion mean to you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I recieved a $4,000 singing bonus

College Financial Representative Interview

College Financial Representative
Woodland Hills, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2014.

Interview Details It's a three step process. There is an initial interview, an interview with your potential mentor, and a final interview discussing your compensation and benefits at Northwestern Mutual. Between each interview, there is an assignment to complete which is reviewed during the meeting. Each interview typically lasts between 1- 2 hours and they are all 1:1.

Interview Question – They typically ask behavioral based questions. Overall, great interview experience.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Bad timing.

Orlando, FL (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2012.

Interview Details The interview process had 3 interviews with an assessment. First interview went in a lot of detail on the position, which I really liked. Second interview was even more in depth, third interview went over benefits and compensation. I had a very clear picture of the position before accepting.

Interview Question – What is something you need to improve on?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northwestern Mutual

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northwestern Mutual interview questions and advice. All 834 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Northwestern Mutual employees and interview candidates.