OANDA

Relevance Date Difficulty

Java Developer Interview

Java Developer
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at OANDA in September 2013.

Interview Details Telephonic HR questions.
Technical on site interview one woman, one man and HR.
Yes HR sits through the technical intv. Wierd!
Basically the interviewers were technically incompetent, esp the woman.
There was a programming problem they asked me to do on the board.

Interview Question – wite a program to find derivative of a polynomial of the form ax^2+bx+c   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Low salary offered. The high salary their mods have posted here is fake.

Web Developer Interview

Web Developer
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at OANDA.

Interview Details I had previously interviewed for a contract position, and received an offer I declined in order to return to a previous employer. HR kept track of when I would be ready to interview again and got in touch. We arranged to have me come into the office for two one-hour interviews, back to back.

The first was with a recruiter, plus two engineers. We talked a fair amount about my background, and experience with key technologies, then moved onto technical questions. They started with a series of questions that were well outside my stated areas of strength, which was pretty humiliating and definitely got things started on the wrong foot. It's surprisingly hard to do well once you're off your game. They then moved on to a few questions that were more relevant to my experience and areas of interest, which was much more welcome.

The second interview was with two other engineers, both managers. They again started with my background, and we talked about what I'd been doing since I last interviewed with the company. They were very interested in understanding what motivated me to come in for another interview, and what I was looking for in an employer. When we moved to technical questions, they struggled to find appropriate questions that I hadn't answered before. I think I made a good impression. We ended the interview by talking about what it would take to get me on board with the company, and then did a short tour of the office space.

The next day, HR got in touch to let me know they would like to extend an offer, and to get ballpark salary information. I got the offer letter about two weeks later. I had received other offers in the meantime, and did ask for some changes to the package offer. My recruiter really went to bat for me, but although they were able to make some changes, I decided to accept a position elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Given a simple polynomial expression, calculate the derivative.   Answer Question
  • Given a currency value, add thousand-separator commas.   Answer Question
  • How do you create a function that increments a variable that isn't accessible from outside the function?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – OANDA is a small company that can't offer the same kinds of compensation that other larger organizations can. This doesn't simply mean monetary compensation, but also the reputational currency of having worked at world-class technology companies.

C++ Software Developer Intern Interview

C++ Software Developer Intern
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and interviewed at OANDA.

Interview Details Done through school coop program, submitted resume and received a 45 minute skype interview. This consisted of 10 minutes of past experience. A few verbal questions about deadlock, OOP (they asked difference between inheritance and composition I was caught off guard).

Interview Question – When you type in "google.ca" in your browser, what happens behind the scenes when fetching HTML   Answer Question

Senior C++ Developer Interview

Senior C++ Developer
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at OANDA in August 2012.

Interview Details I was called on the phone and asked really basic C++, Unix and Networking question. Anyone can pass the phone screen test which is given by HR that has zero tech/programming background. I got called for a real interview, I answered their questions, coded 2 problems on the white board and than wrote a SQL query and talked about database.

This company seems to be always posting jobs but they never get back to you after the interview. I had another offer, so I took that one and didn't bother with this company. I was not impressed being told I would be working as a integration guy building and testing software. I also got the sense they don't pay well. If you already have a job, I suggest you discuss your salary before you waste your time going to their interview.

Interview Question – You should know your data structure and algo, most of the coding questions are pretty classic and easy to code. If you've done some interviewing you will have come across these questions before, nothing new or really difficult. Know the basic of network, database inside and out.   Answer Question

Developer Interview

Developer
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at OANDA in May 2008.

Interview Details The first interview was over the phone - the recruiter simply listed off a few programming and networking questions which are designed to weed out those without any experience. The second interview was by a panel of three people + recruiter. The questions were mostly on programming, with a few trick questions. A lot of networking questions may be asked depending on the interviewer. A second interview was later assigned with two more senior members, which consisted mostly of explaining processes and generic questions.

Interview Questions

• I can't recall the exact code, but it's a simple loop which has two variables inside it. One of the variables is auto-incremented, but under a certain condition the last increment is lost.   Answer Question
  • How would you find if two threads are in dead-lock? How do you resolve dead-lock?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The recruiters will lowball your salary expectations, if you feel confident you may want to stick to your figures. From the experience of others, the company is not willing to accommodate demands for longer vacations. Options in the company and bonuses are not provided on paper.

Worked for OANDA? Contribute to the Community!