Oaktree Capital

Updated 24 Aug 2014
Updated 24 Aug 2014

3.3

Proposal Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Oaktree Capital.

I learned about this job through a friend of mine. Got a phone interview which didn't go well - HR said "we need someone with finance experience," even though this is a marketing job, not finance. My contact complained and I got an in-person interview. It was all day - 9 am to 3 pm with no breaks - meeting with 8 people and taking 2 hours worth of "tests" - writing, analysis, etc. After all that, got a call from HR saying "we need someone with finance experience."

Interview Questions
    • The 2 hours of tests, which one could truly only "ace" if they had already worked for Oaktree before.   Answer Question

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Oaktree Capital.

Interview process was simple. One phone interview with HR, one phone interview with department Managing Director and then a full day of in person interviews with various people in the department.

Interview Questions
    • No particuarlly difficult questions. The standard "name a weakness you have" is always tricky.   Answer Question

Proposal Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Oaktree Capital.

I heard of the open position through a friend who works there. I first had a phone interview with an HR specialist. The interview went fine - basically she went over my experience - and at the end said "Well just so you know you probably won't move on as they probably want someone with investment management experience." I thought this was odd bc my friend told me specifically that that was not a requirement, plus it was not a requirement in the job posting. And anyone could see from my res that I hadn't worked at a similar firm before. I got called in for interviews anyway - I think my friend pulled some strings. I was at the office from 9:30 am til 2:30 pm and met with 5 people. I also had to prepare a "case study," which apparently is common at Oaktree. This was a 90 minute "test" in which I had write 2 essays - 1 describing how analysts choose companies to invest in, 1 describing a dept at the firm. They gave me supporting materials to use, but it was very bizarre - I wasn't sure if they were testing my writing, my knowledge of the firm, or both. The next week I got a call from the same HR specialist saying that they weren't selecting me bc of my lack of investment firm experience, and bc they didn't think I would catch on quick enough. I don't know why they would say this - they didn't ask me any questions really about what I knew of investment management except in the case study, so perhaps I bombed that (I don't think I did). Or perhaps I was never seriously being considered bc I didn't have the necessary experience, and this was all a favor to my friend. If so, there was no need to waste my whole day for that! Overall a bizarre experience that cast the company in a bad light in my opinion.

Interview Questions
    • The case study, in which I had 90 minutes to write 2 essays describing 2 different aspects of the firm using provided materials.   Answer Question

PAR Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Oaktree Capital in April 2013.

I started by submitting a resume online, then they got back to me within a few days to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty typical - they asked about my resume and experience, and what I wanted to do. Soon after, they contacted me again for an in-person interview.

At the in-person interview, I spoke with a few people that I would have been working with. It was very laid back and casual, nothing intense, and everyone seemed nice.

They called back saying they "moved forward with another candidate" (typical corporate language), but that they had another Analyst position for a different team that they thought I'd be a better fit for. So, another interview was scheduled, and it was much like the first - met with a few people I'd be working with, and everyone seemed nice. For the record, both of these first in-person interviews were about 2 hours, talking to 4 people for 30 minutes each.

Got called back for a final interview, this time scheduled for about 3 hours with 6 different people. A few of these people were in completely different departments and had nothing to do with the job I was interviewing for (and they even admitted this with a bit of confusion). Also, at one point, I was waiting for about 30 minutes between interviewers - it seemed someone forgot I was there. I was surprised, because up to this point, Oaktree had been pretty organized and focused, but this final interview seemed very fragmented and lazy.

When I finally spoke to the hiring manager at the end of the process (who I had already spoken to in the first interview), he gave me a verbal offer - it seemed abrupt, yet appropriate, given the urgency of the role that was needed. I left the final interview with a smile, and thought my job hunt was over.

But I was wrong - even though I received a verbal offer, Oaktree went silent for 2 weeks, then finally called me and told me they "moved forward with another candidate." More corporate speak, but this time with 10x the disappointment. Why would you verbally offer someone a job, then not follow through?

An Human Resources Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Oaktree Capital in April 2013.

I heard about this position through an agency's website. First I had a phone interview with them. During the interview, the agency recruiter asked me the year I graduated from college. As we all know, this is a (age) discriminatory question. By the way, my resume indicated that I had 10 years experience at the same company. As an experienced HR professional, I asked him the relevancy of this question to the job I applied for. He said his client (Oaktree Capital) wants to know. I politely declined to answer. The agency recruiter said Oaktree gives bonuses. I asked him how the bonus structure was, he said no structure, they just give $10K. ? After the phone interview, he sent me an e-mail and asked what my GPA was. I still don't understand the relationship between my GPA and the Recruiter position I applied for.

Few days later, on Wednesday, I had a phone interview with their VP of HR at Oaktree. It took 1.5 hours which I didn't mind but I wish all the questions she had asked were related to my skills rather than my previous company's information. She asked me who reports to whom; she asked confidential information such as the turnover % of my previous company; she asked each HR person's responsibility at my previous job. One point she even criticized of my previous HR Director reporting to the Managing Director of the Business Unit, instead of reporting to a Regional HR or VP of HR. The other thing bothered me was that even though she was at a VP level and English was her first language (unlike me), she was not very articulate. Her sentences were incomplete. She sounded like she was not prepared for the interview.

Few days after the phone interview with Oaktree, the agency recruiter called me and said the client decided not to pursue my application because I do not possess financial recruitment experience. Well, they knew that at the beginning, my resume indicated it...

Overall, it was a very unusual and interesting experience for me. I am glad they did not pursue my application. One more time, I felt that I am a better Recruiter than many people out there.

Interview Questions
    • Asking the year I graduated from college and my average GPA despite of my 10 years of solid experience.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Oaktree Capital.

To sum it up, the interview process was more of a test of endurance!!! It was extremely long and tedious consisting of 7 interviews and 3 assessment skills tests. I had to interview with pretty much the entire HR department. The 1st round was a one-on-one interview, the 2nd round was with 4 people, and the 3rd round was with 7 people, each coming in groups of two. The process took around 3 hours as they pretty much asked the same standard interview questions. I was told the entire team had to unanimously agree on the "perfect candidate." It was INTERVIEW OVERKILL and if i knew what I was getting myself into beforehand, I would've never applied in the first place especially considering it was only for an assistant position!!!

Interview Questions
    • What is a common misconception other people have about you?   Answer Question

Client Service Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Oaktree Capital in June 2012.

Walk me through your resume, are you familiar with CRM?, what type of hours are your currently working?, you would need to come in around 6:30am, tell me about your experience of your current firm, why are you leaving your current firm?

first spoke to the recruiter for a preliminary interview and then phone interview with the direct reporting boss.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you leaving your current firm? What are your strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Oaktree Capital in January 2012.

Upon arrival of an interview, you must take a Computer Skills test and provide a writing sample before they decide to let you advance to the next step. Once you've been approved to move on, I met with 3 sets of 2 employees at a time. The total process took a good 3 1/2 hours. I was told the position was filled internally.

Interview Questions
    • The questions consisted of the general average list of 25.   Answer Question

Marketing Operation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

The process took a dayinterviewed at Oaktree Capital in October 2011.

I was given a test, then I was interviewed by my direct boss, then her boss, then one of my coworker, then the recruiter to wrap up. Just general behavior questions. Go to the company's website to read about its history. Do some exel study on youtube before the test. I was even late for the interview but i did great on the excel test.

Done by agent.

Was Unsure Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Oaktree Capital in October 2009.

The interview process was long and they seemed a bit unsure for what role they wanted to hire me for. I must have gone through 10-12 people. It was surprising also since the position that I was applying for stated a certain title, while when I started interviewing it was another. The people were bright there, but I thought for a non-executive (non-officer) position the process was a bit long.