Office Depot Interview Questions

Updated 22 Oct 2014
Updated 22 Oct 2014

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

There was a brief and friendly interview that mostly concentrated on what skills I could bring to the company. The remainder of the interview was mostly concentrated on the history and culture of the company, their dedication to customer service and the position of the company among its direct national competitors and the achievements of the company.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of personal resourcefulness in a customer service situation.   Answer Question
    A salary was offered and I accepted it.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redlands, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redlands, CA (US)

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Office Depot.

I went into the store and asked for an application. They let me use a computer to fill it out in the store. Unlike most places the employees were happy to see another person applying. I got a call about a week later and they asked me to come back to the store for an interview.

The interviewer was the manager but he wasn't the one in-charge of hiring. The second interview is when you speak to the person in charge of hiring. He was pretty cool guy. We blew through the questions and chatted a little bit. He was honest with me and told me he was happy with everything but the hiring manager was unlikely to take me because I had zero experience in selling. Which I saw coming. After that we talked about sushi and I asked him for advice on some other things like interviewing do's and don'ts. He really opened my eyes to somethings. Didn't get the job but it was a positive experience.

Sales Consultant I Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Office Depot.

The interview process was pretty easy. I was called to take a test at the store. A few days after that, I got another call for the first interview. The manager I interviewed with was nice and outgoing and did most of the talking. There's a standard list of questions they have to go through. He even said, "I know some of these are kind of dumb but... I have to ask..." They were pretty general questions. "Why do you want to work for us?" A few days after that interview, I received a call from the store manager. He asked me to come in for a second interview. I had just moved from several states to the area. He wanted to make sure I wasn't going to move back. He asked more specific questions but they weren't difficult either. Things like, "Describe a time you had an issue with a coworker and how did you resolve it?" He offered me the job.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. They told me what I would be making an hour and I could accept or decline.

Customer Experience Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mesquite, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mesquite, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Office Depot in September 2014.

Assistant interviewed me and told me I was recommended for second interview. Never received the second interview at all. The manager just changed her mind. Misleading me and I was very qualified for the position. Also they seemed eager to have you there but that was not true either, because they never gave me a chance at what I know I could do.

Logistics Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Office Depot in September 2014.

Responded to an online post for a Morning Freight Logistics position at Office Depot. The process overall was easy, the personnel were polite, and it wasn't a stressful experience. I expect this is because it wasn't truly a logistics position, they were trying to class up the position by calling it morning freight logistics. It was a position for a shelf stocker, who would show up early in the morning and move inventory onto shelves.

I was extremely overqualified for the position, and only went to the interview based on the job title. Title did not match duties.

Senior Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Office Depot.

Phone screen for manager and then invitation for 1-day event to meet with management, and then job offer would follow. Typically anything below VP-level is a one-day and done decision. Typically 3 individuals interview and collaborate. This is based on legacy OMX policy - no idea new ODP policy for interview protocol as have not been able to source or hire since merger.

Interview Questions
    • Ability to deal with start up of limited insight and data - and how I would deal with a situation   Answer Question
    Vacation - added a week.

Product Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Office Depot.

Phone screening, In house Panel. Meeting with hiring manager, Sr Director and 2 VP's of Sales Operations. Questions were behavioral based and some were gauged at how well you would fit within the organization.

Interview Questions
    • Project that failed and how you were able to communicate the results to management...   Answer Question
    No Negotiation

Cashier Interview

The interview was very brief. I was brought in by the store manager, who was very friendly, and asked behavioral based questions. Things like how I reacted when dealing with conflict or working with others. I went through the interview pretty quickly, and it was obvious I might have been over qualified. Overall It was a very simple interview.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was about a time where I had conflict and had a poor outcome, and how I felt about that.   Answer Question

Lead Consultant, Retail Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boca Raton, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boca Raton, FL (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Office Depot in August 2014.

Initial telephone interview with HR; second telephone interview with Sr. HR; two on-site interviews with members of the team. I was asked if I was open to completing an online video test to provide an example of my facilitation skills. It was not required since I was able to have the on-site interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Fairly standard questions; one of the most difficult/uncomfortable questions was when they asked about how I would respond to someone (executive level) that does not believe the training is necessary. It turned into a role-playing situation and the interviewer was determined to play devil's advocate to every answer I provided. With limited information of their process and procedures it was a no-win regardless of my answers or suggestions.   View Answer

Technology Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Office Depot.

Online application (1 hour), 130 question quiz in the store, 35 minute first interview, 1 1/2 hour second interview. It was a little lengthy for a part-time store position. I'm unsure why the application process is so drawn out. Happy I got the job but, hmm.

Interview Questions
    • What defines good and bad customer service?   View Answer
    • How do you talk to someone who's not pulling their weight in the team?   View Answer
    No negotiation.