Oxford University

15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Scientist Interview

Research Scientist

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Oxford University in February 2014.

Interview Details One Skype interview from the United States. I was interviewed by a panel of six people that wanted to validate who I was and my ability to perform unique and creative research. I received a phone call a few days later informing me I had got the job.

Interview Question – Improving the current standard for research in Classics.   Answer Question

DPhil Student Interview

DPhil Student
Oxford, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Oxford University in March 2013.

Interview Details I had one skype interview after I submitted two or three references, transcript, CV, one letter about me and completed one form. The first interesting thing is that they do not require master, it suffices bachelor. The interview was quite informal, they do not ask math questions, but rather which subjects I attended and what I did in bachelor thesis. They was impressed by amount of subjects I did.

Interview Question – How do I plan gain money, because in March they do not have any money for me. All grants are in January.   Answer Question

Personal Assistant Position Interview

Personal Assistant Position
Oxford, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Oxford University.

Interview Details Received invitation to interview within 2 weeks of submitting my application through the online university system. There was more than enough time to study up on the department and the expected interview questions. The staff were very professional, polite, and friendly when I arrived for the interview. I met with the primary administrative person I would be reporting to as well as 2 of the 4 Professors I would be supporting in the PA position. all the questions were standard - why do you want the job, what do you think will be the most challenging aspect of this position, what would friends say are your strengths and weaknesses, who does your CV demonstrate your fit to this position, do you have experience updating webpages, do you have experience with Microsoft Office (particularly word and excel), etc.

Interview Question – Please tell us about a time when you had to involve a supervisor in order to complete an important task.   View Answer

MSC Student Interview

MSC Student

Interview Details Interviewed.

Interview Question – Microeconomics   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow

Interviewed at Oxford University

Interview Details I am a British Academy postdoc, which does not have an interview procedure. It is a two-step process of writing an application and providing a writing sample, on the basis of which a panel decides to give the award. Prior to applying, one must seek support of the prospective employer (Oxford)

Interview Question – This does not apply, as there was no interview   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I could negotiate salary to be on the same grade, but higher scale point (made a difference of over £1000) based on my earlier experience. Negotiate!

Very Easy Interview

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Postdoctoral Researcher

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Oxford University.

Interview Details Offered job internally. One interview with group leader.

Interview Question – Not difficult   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary on offer wasn't great. Chose industry instead.

Undergraduate Interview

Undergraduate

Interview Details writing test 2h, skype inteview, questions in pdf 4 questions

Interview Question – questions   Answer Question

Part-time Clerical Assistant Interview

Part-time Clerical Assistant
Oxford, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Oxford University in March 2013.

Interview Details Had worked for the University before, so I was not overly worried. I applied for the post through the University's website. I was shortlisted and invited to interview at the Medical Teaching Centre on South Parks Road. It was an interview panel with 3 people, two of whom were academics. I felt they were most unfriendly in their attitude; did not put me at ease at all. At one point I was asked a question but one of the interviewers kept interrupting me as I tried to answer. I felt literally bullied. The department did not even have the courtesy to tell me that I had been unsuccessful.

Interview Question – How would you persuade me to provide you with the examination questions that you need to print?   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

PhD Student

Interviewed at Oxford University

Interview Details Had to network to get in touch with my doctoral supervisor. Didn't really have to go through a formal application procedure. Was asked a few questions related to my work during the masters and bachelors program, and related to research area I'd work in.

Interview Question – Some tricky questions related to my research area.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate
Oxford, England (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Oxford University in April 2010.

Interview Details A very fast process (~1month) as I had gone directly through the research group leader. There were no problems with processing any paper work and the grant from my funding body came into effect the day I started.

Interview Question – I was asked what I wanted to do after my postdoc   View Answer

Worked for Oxford University? Contribute to the Community!