Panera Bread

Relevance Date Difficulty

Corporate IT Interview

Corporate IT
Saint Louis, MO (US)

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Panera Bread.

Interview Details Process took over three months and was a complete disorganized mess. The HR person forgot to call me for the phone screen. I met with five people at the office, three of whom did not even know what I was being interviewed for.

They speak a lot about culture and their 'No Jerks' policy. A couple of the people that I interviewed with were the very definition of jerks. The seemed very interested in telling me how they were more important than the other people I interviewed with. It was pretty obvious the politics there are awful. These were director and VP level people that are clearly unqualified for their positions. I was very unimpressed and it was clear a couple of them have never worked in a real IT shop. One of the interviews was via video conference in their Boston office. He spent most of the interview talking about himself.

Since they spoke so much about diversity I asked about women in leadership. There were no women in the 25+ director and VP slots at Panera. This company is run by amateurs.

Interview Question – No hard questions   Answer Question

Night Baker Interview

Night Baker
Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Panera Bread.

Interview Details I was interviewed in front of two managers. One was the bakery sector manager, and the other was the store manager. The bakery manager was very welcoming and friendly. Asked me the typical questions ("Why do you want to work here?") and the store manager was extremely rude with her input about my questions, ("Well are you going to quit your other job soon? This is a big boy job after all.") as if my questions weren't appeasing her. The bakery manager gave her a look - the tension was quite obvious - and after the questions he walked me out and apologized for her behavior. He became my boss and I learned later that she was just an unpleasant woman after all who knew nothing about the bakery sector whatsoever. There was a 2nd interview who was supposed to be with a GM but the GM never bothered to come in so my boss came in and gave me the 2nd interview himself. Then came orientation. It was so straightforward I wondered why they waited 5 months to respond to my application.

Interview Question – How do you feel about working unsupervised?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The starting rate is at $10/hr for Panera under Covelli Enterprise. Because I had a baking associate degree, he said he would give me $0.50 more. I know now that other's have been brought in at $11 for having management background - but I was told that that employee was hired by another manager and given too high of a wage to start out with - an undoable mistake.

Seal Beach, CA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Panera Bread in July 2014.

Interview Details Nail biter! My first interview was a group interview with about 6 other people, the interviewers seemed distracted and asked 2 questions in all, I thought I did a bad job but ended up getting called for a second interview two days later. The second interview was in my desired work location with the general manager and I was interviewed with two other girls. Simple questions such as: what do you think panera's main goals are? No biggie. Started losing hope when I wasn't called, then got called exactly a week after my 2nd interview with a job offer. It just took a while to get hired.

Interview Question – What would you do if a customer is straight up not being respectful?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Took the job, getting paid minimum wage but understandable and negotiable.

Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Panera Bread in July 2014.

Interview Details The process took several weeks. Originally, I thought it was a written application, but it's entirely online. You have to fill out a normal application, as well as a 12 page questionnaire about your personality. It's pretty simple honestly. I waited about a week after filling this out, and then called in the follow up on my application. I was told that application were being looked at, and I should receive a call within the next week, and if I didn't receive one by the end of the week, to call back. I waited a week, and received no reply, so I called back that weekend. I was told applications were being looked at still, and to expect a call back soon. I waited until the Tuesday after that, and decided to visit the personally, and follow up on my application there. The manager was very nice, and immediately scheduled an interview for the following week. I went to the interview, and it was very surprising how relaxed the environment was. It was really more like having a conversation with someone rather than a grueling interview about your strengths and weaknesses. After a nice chat, the manager seemed to genuinely like me, and hired me on the spot. I have to fill in my paperwork still, but I was told to come in the next day for that, and to attend the Planet Bread orientation a week from now.

Interview Question – No real difficult questions really. Just have some knowledge of the company, that never hurts, and be polite. Remember your manners.   Answer Question

Night Baker Interview

Night Baker
Johnstown, PA (US)

I applied through another source and the process took a day - interviewed at Panera Bread in June 2014.

Interview Details Unfortunately I knew the BMM (Bakery Market Manager) who was in charge of the hiring process, So with the in going in. My interview only took fifteen minutes, and we went over the basic application, copied my birthcertificate and verified my SSN card. We also went over the baeer's training manual shirt and pant size and shoes, pretty much the basic requirements that are going to have to be met to perform as a solo bake

Interview Question – Why do you want to bake.   View Answer

Panera Bread Associate Interview

Panera Bread Associate

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Panera Bread in July 2014.

Interview Details Really easy process not too many questions. Quick and simple interview. Hired on the spot. Asked to come back next week for information and uniforms. Overall very easy interview process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Interviewed at Panera Bread

Interview Details Meet with several managers. Have to go online and fill out an application and you can call or come in to check the status of you application. Once that is done you should know weather they would like to follow up with an in person interview.

Interview Question – fairly straight forward question.   Answer Question

Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Panera Bread.

Interview Details Basic questions, ie. "Why do you want to work here? How long do you see yourself with the company?" Nothing too complicated or requiring much thought. Very simple process: Do well in the interview, sign the papers a few days after a background check.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult for experienced workers, new job seekers may not even have too much trouble   Answer Question

Associate Trainer Interview

Associate Trainer
Greensboro, NC (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Panera Bread in June 2010.

Interview Details Really simple interview process. Sat down with the store manager. Less than 30 minutes long. They called me within days of applying, then hired me the day after the interview. You train for a few weeks, learn the menu, and how to make all the food. Some stay on food prep, some move to cashier/bakery.

Interview Question – "Why should we hire you?"   View Answer

Panera Bread Associate Interview

Panera Bread Associate
Tampa, FL (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Panera Bread in March 2014.

Interview Details Initially seemed an upbeat and friendly workplace, but it didn't last. Turning in the application and getting an interview wasn't a problem, it was the managers following through with their appointment for the orientation (that they themselves set up) that was problematic. The first time I went in for the orientation, they were "in the middle of an audit" and were too busy to do it. Okay, annoying that they didn't call me before I drove all the way out there, but people make mistakes (but honestly, shouldn't they have been more prepared for their audit instead of rushing to get everything as presentable as possible the day of? Not good in my book, because they have at least all month to do these things). Rescheduled the orientation at a later time, but when I came back for that one, I was once again turned away because the manager wasn't even there, and again, they failed to notify me until after I got there (which seems to me they probably didn't even know I was coming *again*). This time I was more than annoyed at their display of total incompetence, and, not one to put up with nonsense more than once, I abandoned my pursuit in working for an entire organization that will now forever have a black mark on it's name.

Interview Question – What do you like to do outside work?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – See above.

Worked for Panera Bread? Contribute to the Community!