Paychex Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 15, 2014
218 interviews

3.1

Payroll Specialist Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

The hiring process consisted of a phone interview followed by two additional interviews. Once of the interviews allowed you to sit with a payroll specialist and basically see what it's like to work at Paychex. If you were successful in the all of those interviews you are asked to come in for a final interview with the branch manager.

Interview Questions
    • To name a time you were faced with an ethical issue that involved a co-worker, what was it and what did you do?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation in pay. They have a set rate for pay and don't budge even based on experience. They tell you that you will end up making $18/hour after you complete payroll school. This is not true, while you will get close to it (off by $0.50) you won't make $18/hr after completing all of their tests to become a senior specialist.

Client Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Ramon, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Paychex.

The phone interview was a solid 20-30 minutes. I was asked a good 20 questions. Be prepared with stories from past experiences and be very specific. They are huge on specifics. The face to face panel interview was a full hour with God knows how many questions. Insane!!!! I have never been to a more ridiculous interview in my life for an entry level position.

Interview Questions
    • What challenge would you face in the next position after the one you are applying to?   View Answer

Payroll Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Paychex.

Over complicated. Tend to look for applicants when they truly don't have a position available. You will speak to a recruiter, then you take a math test online, then you have to come to the local branch for at least two interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Ask how you handle stress. When they say that the job is stressful, they are not joking.   Answer Question
    I was given an hourly rate and there are no negotiations in regards to it.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  North Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Employee in North Chicago, IL (US)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Paychex in May 2014.

I got an interview through a recruiter who secured it in about 3 days. The initial interview included a 1:1 with two different managers and a math test. The entire thing took about 2.5 hours and as soon as I was finished another interviewee was ready to go. The next step after passing the math test and two 1:1 was to meet with the CEO and do a short presentation. I declined before this meeting.

Interview Questions
    • The math test overall was somewhat difficult. While it was simple algebra, having to force your brain into that mindset and then back to an interview situation was hard.   Answer Question

I realized sales was not for me.

Territory Ready Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Kent, WA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA (US)

My interview was set up by someone else the day before, with the District Sales Manager and they scheduled with him directly. I show up 15 minutes early, wait 15 minutes to learn he is in Bellevue and wont be able to make it. The kind receptionist apologized on his behalf and set up a phone interview where he would call me shortly instead. Having driven over an hour in traffic to learn this, I was not happy. But i needed a job and the company sounded like it had a good service/product with great potential, plus i was curious what the reason would be that he stood me up. He said the interview was not put on his schedule (it was scheduled with him directly one day prior). The interview was on his speaker phone and I could hardly understand him, he sounded irritated the few times I asked him to repeat himself. Also he seemed very distracted doing something else. It started with talking about high school, "soo what was high school like for you?", "were you captain of the ---- team?". Nearly all of his question would in no way determine if I could be a successful employee; "how did you pay for college?", "so you didn't work during school.... just in the summers?", "what was your high school gpa?", "what was your college gpa?". His responses and questions seemed very back handed and in a condescending tone, he didn't want to talk with me from start to finish. I never even got the chance, nor did he ask, to talk about my other much more relevant sales job experiences and ambitions. He asked about my high school job, and I got him talking about the company and the position a little bit. I was disgusted and angry with the process.

HRG Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Paychex in November 2010.

Panel interview with senior HRG and Department Manager. Situation questions on customer service and peer relations. The knowledge test was over the phone prior to the face to face interview. Then the personality assessment was conducted online.

Interview Questions
    • how to manage type A personalities and several competing demands   Answer Question
    very little room for wage negotiations

Holds Specialist Interview

The hiring process was very quick and easy. I was hired the day after the inrlterview process. However, the questions asked in the interview process were tougher. I really didn't know how to answer some if the crazy questions they asked me. I was at a loss for words. But I stayed composed and gave my best answers.

Interview Questions
    • Do you know why a storm drain is circular and not square   View Answer

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rochester, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at Paychex in June 2014.

Met with 2 hiring managers and both were very friendly and made me feel very comfortable through the process. Gave feedback throughout the process. Had 2 interview dates both 1 hour each

Interview Questions
    Was very happy with offer

Implementation Specialist I Interview

interviewed at Paychex in July 2011.

First there is a personality test and a math test. One phone interview and three interviews in person. When I started I was applying for a job as a Payroll Specialist and they made it very clear that the job is very stressful, so much of the interview is focused on your ability to handle stress at work.

Interview Questions
    • During the final interview with the branch manager, he read me the results of my personality test and asked me to speak to whether or not I agreed with the results. He pulled a word that had defined me in the results and asked me to speak about how I felt that word applied to me.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

After being contacted by a recruiter, I did a phone interview with her, then some online tests. One was the basic personality test, the other was more in-depth about time management. Then we did a phone interview with the hiring manager and a drug test. Next I did a ride-along with a current sales rep and we did one final interview with the hiring manager and her manager. The hiring decision was made a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • What is the hardest business decision you've ever made?   Answer Question
    No negotiation to base salary, but there were additional stipends for gas and other expenses.

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!