Paychex Payroll Specialist Interview Questions

Updated 18 Feb 2015
Updated 18 Feb 2015

Payroll Specialist Interview

Interview

4 interviews a bit excessive for the job. Initial phone interview with the recruiter, interview at branch with supervisor then another one with the branch manager. The last one you shadow someone followed by another q/a with the supervisor and branch manager

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Paychex

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Paychex.

Interview

There is an initial phone screening and you have to pass 2 tests that test general math skills and problem solving. After that there are 3 interviews. My first and 2nd interviews were back to back on the same day. First interview with one supervisor, second interview with 2 supervisors, and third interview scheduled for a later day with the manager. After that you have to pass a drug test/background check. Very involved, but they want good people

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No salary negotiation

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Paychex.

Interview

The hiring process consisted of a phone interview followed by two additional interviews. Once of the interviews allowed you to sit with a payroll specialist and basically see what it's like to work at Paychex. If you were successful in the all of those interviews you are asked to come in for a final interview with the branch manager.

Interview Questions

• To name a time you were faced with an ethical issue that involved a co-worker, what was it and what did you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation in pay. They have a set rate for pay and don't budge even based on experience. They tell you that you will end up making $18/hour after you complete payroll school. This is not true, while you will get close to it (off by $0.50) you won't make $18/hr after completing all of their tests to become a senior specialist.

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Paychex (Milwaukee, WI (US)).

Interview

Over complicated. Tend to look for applicants when they truly don't have a position available. You will speak to a recruiter, then you take a math test online, then you have to come to the local branch for at least two interviews.

Interview Questions

• Ask how you handle stress. When they say that the job is stressful, they are not joking.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was given an hourly rate and there are no negotiations in regards to it.

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paychex (Hauppauge, NY (US)).

Interview

I applied online on Indeed.com. I heard back from Paychex and said they were very interested in me and would like to move me onto my second part of the application. Which was the assessment test. I completed it on June 3, 2014. Does anyone know or have experienced this, and how long did it take for the company to reach back out to you? Thank you

Interview Questions

• Does anyone have any info on this? Or is anyone experiencing or have experienced this?   1 Answer

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Paychex.

Interview

The interview process was one of the most thorough I have been through. Numerous phone screenings, two logic tests, and a number of in person interviews was a bit overwhelming. Be prepared for the possibility that you may have more than one interview in a day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations. You will have to work to increase your pay and its not something that happens overnight.

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Paychex.

Interview

First I received an email from the recruiter, which I was skeptical about, but we set up a phone interview that week. She asked a few basic questions and set up an interview with my branch. This was the beginning of several interviews.
    Everyone at the office was pleasant. They took me to a conference room where I was interviewed by two people. Then, they brought me a personality test to take, which was actually pretty lengthy. THEN, they brought in two more people, and I went through the whole thing again.

I received a call a day later to come back in and interview with two MORE people, the branch manager and assistant branch manager. I came in again, and met with them in another conference room. They asked some pretty tough questions- "Where do I see myself in 5 years", and "What am I expecting from this position" but nothing too out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions

• Between all 6 people there were some pretty difficult questions. They seemed to ask a lot of similar questions, and I kept feeling like I was repeating myself, answering the same question several different ways. I remember, they asked me to rank my past jobs from favorite to least favorite, which I was not expecting. They asked a lot of situational questions, how to handle escalated situations, how did you solve the problem, etc., so be prepared with stories.   Answer Question

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Paychex (Naperville, IL (US)).

Interview

I applied online and about 1 week later I received an email asking if I was interested in the position still. I replied that I was and was sent a Math test. The test is basic math and only took about 15min. After I completed the test I received another email asking if I would be interested in a phone interview. I respond and just completed that portion of the hiring process. The next step is a face to face interview with the local office. From there I was told there is going to be training for 2-3 weeks and the a "classroom" like training in Rochester, New York.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to answer behavioral based questions. Remember when you answer these questions to give a specific example. Who was the person, what was the problem, how did you solve the problem? That is what they are looking for as an answer. Do not give a general answerm   Answer Question

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Paychex (Indianapolis, IN (US)) in January 2014.

Interview

3 step interview, or more depends! They ask great questions and even let you see what the job would be like. They do a phone interview, then send the steps to continue on.

Interview Questions

• Why is Paychex the company for you, how will you succeed here and whats your career path!   Answer Question

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Paychex.

Interview

I got lucky. When I applied they were desperate to fill the position before the last training session of the year, and they only had 3 weeks left. So instead of months of interviews and waiting, I did all my interviews in one day and was technically offered the job on the spot. (Interviews were on Friday, they don't do offers on Fridays because you only have 24 hours to do your drug test once you've received an offer, so they called me Monday morning.)

Usually it's the initial interview, then an interview with all or most of the supervisors. You are then placed with some one in the role you are applying for to watch them work and ask them questions for 15-30 mins. Then an interview with the manager of that department and lastly an interview with the branch manager.

Once hired most positions require you to go to Rochester, NY for a week or two for training.

Interview Questions

• Can't recall specific questions, but mostly for me the ones that ask you to point out your flaws and such.   Answer Question