Paycom

131 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Paycom in April 2013.

Interview Details Interview process is extremely thorough, but well worth it for the caliber of job duties and people you'll be working around. Paycom hires some outstanding individuals and they have the ability to do so because the rewards are great. There were approximately 6 steps in the process: An initial phone screen with a recruiter, an interview with the hiring manager, a second interview with a regional manager, a ride-along with your potential team, a phone-canvassing session in which you must demonstrate that you can successfully set three appointments, and then a final interview with a C-Level exec.

The process is very intense, and you may move forward in the process to the next level in the same day if you do well. Overall the process moves very quickly. The recruiter I had, Kathryn, was amazing, and did an excellent job of preparing me for each and every step.

Overall this was a great interview process!

Interview Question – I came in under an unusual career change for this position, so my most difficult questions came out of how I might have prepared myself for the position, having not come from a sales background. Be ready for this. They want to make sure you have prepared well in your time leading up to the possibility of stepping into a very challenging position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Outside Sales Consultant Interview

Outside Sales Consultant
Philadelphia, PA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Paycom in February 2014.

Interview Details Interview went pretty well, I had thought. The interviewer did seem to rush through the questions a little bit, and maybe that was because she made her mind up pretty hastily. I mentioned that I wanted to work in order to make money and be able to do things, and I think she took my use of the phrase "work/life balance" to mean that I wanted a ton of vacation time. If I were to guess, that misunderstanding would be why I didn't get a second interview.

Interview Question – Probably when she asked me if I was prepared to work more than forty hours a week, just because I would have thought that my previous answers made it clear that I was.   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paycom.

Interview Details Submitted resume and application in response to an advertisement for job opening. I then received a phone call to come in for an open interview/job fair type hiring process. I was interviewed by a H.R. person in an informal, casual atmosphere where they just kind of go over the basics with you and determine your interest level and qualification level. At that time I was advised that they would be narrowing down the group for final selection and that I would receive a call within a week if I was chosen for the next round of interviews but I did not hear from them again. I assume it was because I lacked enough experience.

However the experience was very nice and professional and casual so there was no feeling of pressure or nervousness.

Interview Question – I did not think any of the questions were difficult or unexpected. At this level of interview, the questions were very generalized.   Answer Question

B2B Sales Representative Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paycom in October 2013.

Interview Details First of all you get a dedicated recruiter who truly cares about you and getting you to the next step; Kelsey was a rock star! Once you passed the recruiters initial questions there were 3 additional interviews, along with a phone canvassing session. Kelsey called me between each phase, answered all the questions I could possibly think of and would prepare me in any way possible. The 3 interviews were broken down by Manager, Regional and Chief Sales Officer. Each interviewer had their own style of questioning but answered all the questions I had, honestly! Also during this process it is a two way street, they are interviewing you but you are also interviewing them. Every person I met with did a fantastic job of being open and honest about the position and what to expect.

Interview Question – Why can't you fail?   Answer Question

Outside Sales Consultant Interview

Outside Sales Consultant

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in January 2014.

Interview Details I was initially contacted by a recruiter from their HQ in Oklahoma and we set up a phone interview for the following week at 2:15 pm. When the phone interview came around, they were 15 minutes late but all went well and I was advanced to the next round. Next, I had a webcam interview with one of the hiring managers. This interview was scheduled on a Monday at 4:00 pm. Yet again Paycom was late for their own interview at a time they scheduled! She was 20 minutes late to the interview and it may have been longer if I did not call my recruiter after 10 minutes of waiting idly by to ask her to remind the hiring manager.The interview went really well and before the meeting concluded I asked about next steps from here (i.e. what I could expect) and she told me that I was a great candidate, possessed good qualities, and that she was definitely going to advance me through the hiring process. She said she saw no reason why they wouldn't. She then went on to give me advice in preparing for the next round, which was the phone canvassing round. Before the interview came to an end, she said she would get in touch with my recruiter and that my recruiter would ask for my schedule so they could set up a time for the next interview. 4 days pass and I receive a rejection email from my recruiter. I immediately replied with confusion and told her exactly what the hiring manager told me and she responded back saying, "I'm Sorry. She decided to move forward with a candidate that was a better fit. Thanks for your interest." ...Really?! That is very ambiguous and horrible treatment. I'm glad I got to see the company for what they really were and did not advance, I wouldn't want to spend my time working with a company that can't treat people with respect. I should have seen the signs from the beginning...15 minutes late to a phone interview and 20 minutes late to the next interview, which I had to call and remind them of!

Interview Question – The interview process isn't that tough if you do your research and come prepared.   Answer Question

Jan 31, 2014

We do our very best to respect the time of every candidate that enters our process. Because we offer protected territories and don’t overstaff our markets, we only ask a select group to move onto the ... More

Transition Specialist Representative Interview

Transition Specialist Representative
Austin, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Paycom in December 2013.

Interview Details I was contacted for this position over the phone by a corporate recruiter. He received my resume from another website and asked me to contact him if I was interested in learning more about the position. He emailed me a job description and a link to the company's website. I decided to contact him to learn more about the position. He proceeded to explain to me what the job would entail, a typical day for a TSR, and the salary and bonus structure. I was interested in coming in for an interview so he asked me to complete an Excel skills assessment, and fill out the job application for the position. Once I did so, he contacted me a set up an interview for the following Monday (all this took place within 48 hours). At the interview, I was asked to take another assessment on math and reasoning skills. It was only a 12' test and wasn't too difficult. I was then interviewed via webcam by 2 different directors. Both inquired about different aspects of my resume and then proceeded to ask me what my greatest strengths and my greatest weaknesses were. I asked a few questions of each of them and then concluded the interview. I did have to wait about 20 minutes for the second man to be available to interview me. I was then contacted the next day with good news. They wished to extend me an offer of employment and gave me a couple days to decide. Overall the interview process was good, and quick.

Interview Question – What would your previous employer say was your second greatest strength.   Answer Question

Detroit, MI (US)

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Paycom.

Interview Details There is enough information online to get a good understanding of what the job interview process will be like. Come prepared to wow the manager in a very short amount of time. You will only have a few moments to make an impression. Also, this is a very competitive company so expect there to be many well qualified people gunning for the same position.

Interview Question – Explain how you overcame a challenge at your previous job.   Answer Question

Sales Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in October 2013.

Interview Details I was contacted by two different recruiters - first the recruiter will give you a quick phone screening, then another recruiter called me 30 minutes later and did another phone screening before setting up an office interview the same week.

The first interview in-office seemed very casual, she basically just wanted me to go through my resume, and carried on more of a casual conversation after that. When I asked if she had any more questions for me- she responded "no not really, when I have less questions that means I like you".... Seemed like an inexperienced interviewer.

The office dress was not as professional as I had expected either, one girl in the office had on a dress you could actually see through. Aside from that, I was definitely impressed by the amount of money they said you could make in the beginning, it almost seemed too good to be true. However, this is definitely the factor that kept me really wanting to continue through the process.

Next, I got called in for the phone canvassing. The team was super nice and very helpful in what works best on the phone when setting appointments. They said she gave me a great area to call, which meant she actually wanted to hire me. I set 3 appointments in the first 45 minutes of calling, so the office manager let me go an hour early- which was disappointing because I wanted to see how many I could set in the allotted time.

The next step was an interview with the regional sales director via webcam- my recruiter set this up for the wrong day initially, but I thought it went well once I had the interview.

The next step was when something really started to not feel right.... I was called to go on a ride-along with a sales rep.- I was also told if all went well with this then it would be the final step before an offer. The ride along was changed to lunch the following day, then I received text message an hour and half before I was to leave my house for lunch asking if I could come in for dinner instead, so I had to completely rearrange my schedule twice for the 2 hour drive each way.

The reps who took me to dinner seemed to have no idea what was going on- they didn't know where I was in the interview process, they seemed like they didn't know what exactly we were going to dinner for... It also seemed like they were holding something back or I was missing something.... I was actually told that "sometimes the manager really likes people but just decides not to hire them after taking them through the interview process because they don't have the time or feel like training them...." At that point I was very confused as I thought I was interviewing for an open position that they needed to fill, not just going through the interview process for the sake of going through it.

I was told I was moving on to the final interview round- only to be contacted later and told that "They were going pass"- again not a very professional way to tell someone you are not going to hire them (maybe "pursuing other candidates" or "opportunities" would have been a better way to phrase that). After being told all along that they really liked me and by the reps. that management wanted to hire me and then not being offered, I felt very strung along by the whole process. The interview process is tortuous as they keep telling you this is the last step and it isn't.... it seems like they think the only thing people have going on in their lives is this interview. Did they really need to take me through 5 whole steps to decide I wasn't the right person for the job? Especially, because any decent candidate probably has a ton of other interviews going on at the same time.

Another red-flag is the fact that no one in the entire office had been a rep. for longer than 2.5 years.... and whenever it came up, anyone I talked to seemed very quick to cover-up why a person was no longer working there. Maybe it is because the company is growing so quickly, but I kind of got the impression either you are good enough to move up quickly to a manger status, or you quit from the intensity of the job. Seems like they draw in young, recent college grads. on the premise they are going to make a ridiculous amount of money.

All in all there were some positives and negatives to the experience. Having a recruiter and a contact person is nice, a lot of companies are doing that these days. The other sales reps. seemed like they wanted you to work there- nice people. It is for the best I did not get an offer, after awkwardness of my last interview I had decided not to accept if I was offered. Just way too many red-flags during just the interviews, management seemed too inexperienced, seems like a temporary job. My advice would be to not be jaded by what they tell you that you can make there, they lead with the money thing for a reason. Go with a more recognizable, well-known company if you can.

Interview Question – "What are you going to buy with all the money you make at Paycom...?"   View Answer

Nov 19, 2013

We appreciate your feedback and offer our most sincere apology for any lapse in communication that may have occurred. We make sure to notify each candidate on the interview processes beforehand so ... More

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
Irvine, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Paycom in October 2013.

Interview Details A recruiter set me up for, what looked like, a great opportunity. Seems to have great online presence, base salary and commission structure. I was 15 minutes early to the interview... He was 45 minutes late and called me by the wrong name... (life happens... no worries). After giving me a speech on how every interview should have an equal amount of time and shows no favorites... he then asked me pointed questions and belittled my current company. After all was said and done he told me, "looks like you have some current business to take care of, here is my card... call me when your 100% ready" ... over the weekend had time to process and decided to call. called him over 10 times, left voice mails and messages... no response.

Very unprofessional. Not living up to your word is the point; Lack of credibility. this is only 1 manager at 1 branch... hope others have a better experience.

Nov 19, 2013

Professionalism is of the utmost importance to us and everyone who represents Paycom. We will look into the issue at hand.

Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Paycom in October 2013.

Interview Details Contacted by Paycom representative via LinkedIn. Spoke with him for about 30 minutes. I then scheduled an in person interview with one of the Sales Managers. She was 15 minutes late to our meeting, and that interview only lasted about 20 minutes, which I felt wasn't enough time - but she seemed to have already made up her mind.

Interview Question – Standard questions. What's your greatest strength? What's your biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Paycom