Paycom

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

3.4

Outside Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in January 2014.

I was initially contacted by a recruiter from their HQ in Oklahoma and we set up a phone interview for the following week at 2:15 pm. When the phone interview came around, they were 15 minutes late but all went well and I was advanced to the next round. Next, I had a webcam interview with one of the hiring managers. This interview was scheduled on a Monday at 4:00 pm. Yet again Paycom was late for their own interview at a time they scheduled! She was 20 minutes late to the interview and it may have been longer if I did not call my recruiter after 10 minutes of waiting idly by to ask her to remind the hiring manager.The interview went really well and before the meeting concluded I asked about next steps from here (i.e. what I could expect) and she told me that I was a great candidate, possessed good qualities, and that she was definitely going to advance me through the hiring process. She said she saw no reason why they wouldn't. She then went on to give me advice in preparing for the next round, which was the phone canvassing round. Before the interview came to an end, she said she would get in touch with my recruiter and that my recruiter would ask for my schedule so they could set up a time for the next interview. 4 days pass and I receive a rejection email from my recruiter. I immediately replied with confusion and told her exactly what the hiring manager told me and she responded back saying, "I'm Sorry. She decided to move forward with a candidate that was a better fit. Thanks for your interest." ...Really?! That is very ambiguous and horrible treatment. I'm glad I got to see the company for what they really were and did not advance, I wouldn't want to spend my time working with a company that can't treat people with respect. I should have seen the signs from the beginning...15 minutes late to a phone interview and 20 minutes late to the next interview, which I had to call and remind them of!

Interview Questions
    • The interview process isn't that tough if you do your research and come prepared.   Answer Question

Jan 31, 2014Representative

We do our very best to respect the time of every candidate that enters our process. Because we offer protected territories and don’t overstaff our markets, we only ask a select group to move onto the ... More

Transition Specialist Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Paycom in December 2013.

I was contacted for this position over the phone by a corporate recruiter. He received my resume from another website and asked me to contact him if I was interested in learning more about the position. He emailed me a job description and a link to the company's website. I decided to contact him to learn more about the position. He proceeded to explain to me what the job would entail, a typical day for a TSR, and the salary and bonus structure. I was interested in coming in for an interview so he asked me to complete an Excel skills assessment, and fill out the job application for the position. Once I did so, he contacted me a set up an interview for the following Monday (all this took place within 48 hours). At the interview, I was asked to take another assessment on math and reasoning skills. It was only a 12' test and wasn't too difficult. I was then interviewed via webcam by 2 different directors. Both inquired about different aspects of my resume and then proceeded to ask me what my greatest strengths and my greatest weaknesses were. I asked a few questions of each of them and then concluded the interview. I did have to wait about 20 minutes for the second man to be available to interview me. I was then contacted the next day with good news. They wished to extend me an offer of employment and gave me a couple days to decide. Overall the interview process was good, and quick.

Interview Questions
    • What would your previous employer say was your second greatest strength.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Detroit, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI (US)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Paycom.

There is enough information online to get a good understanding of what the job interview process will be like. Come prepared to wow the manager in a very short amount of time. You will only have a few moments to make an impression. Also, this is a very competitive company so expect there to be many well qualified people gunning for the same position.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how you overcame a challenge at your previous job.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in October 2013.

I was contacted by two different recruiters - first the recruiter will give you a quick phone screening, then another recruiter called me 30 minutes later and did another phone screening before setting up an office interview the same week.

The first interview in-office seemed very casual, she basically just wanted me to go through my resume, and carried on more of a casual conversation after that. When I asked if she had any more questions for me- she responded "no not really, when I have less questions that means I like you".... Seemed like an inexperienced interviewer.

The office dress was not as professional as I had expected either, one girl in the office had on a dress you could actually see through. Aside from that, I was definitely impressed by the amount of money they said you could make in the beginning, it almost seemed too good to be true. However, this is definitely the factor that kept me really wanting to continue through the process.

Next, I got called in for the phone canvassing. The team was super nice and very helpful in what works best on the phone when setting appointments. They said she gave me a great area to call, which meant she actually wanted to hire me. I set 3 appointments in the first 45 minutes of calling, so the office manager let me go an hour early- which was disappointing because I wanted to see how many I could set in the allotted time.

The next step was an interview with the regional sales director via webcam- my recruiter set this up for the wrong day initially, but I thought it went well once I had the interview.

The next step was when something really started to not feel right.... I was called to go on a ride-along with a sales rep.- I was also told if all went well with this then it would be the final step before an offer. The ride along was changed to lunch the following day, then I received text message an hour and half before I was to leave my house for lunch asking if I could come in for dinner instead, so I had to completely rearrange my schedule twice for the 2 hour drive each way.

The reps who took me to dinner seemed to have no idea what was going on- they didn't know where I was in the interview process, they seemed like they didn't know what exactly we were going to dinner for... It also seemed like they were holding something back or I was missing something.... I was actually told that "sometimes the manager really likes people but just decides not to hire them after taking them through the interview process because they don't have the time or feel like training them...." At that point I was very confused as I thought I was interviewing for an open position that they needed to fill, not just going through the interview process for the sake of going through it.

I was told I was moving on to the final interview round- only to be contacted later and told that "They were going pass"- again not a very professional way to tell someone you are not going to hire them (maybe "pursuing other candidates" or "opportunities" would have been a better way to phrase that). After being told all along that they really liked me and by the reps. that management wanted to hire me and then not being offered, I felt very strung along by the whole process. The interview process is tortuous as they keep telling you this is the last step and it isn't.... it seems like they think the only thing people have going on in their lives is this interview. Did they really need to take me through 5 whole steps to decide I wasn't the right person for the job? Especially, because any decent candidate probably has a ton of other interviews going on at the same time.

Another red-flag is the fact that no one in the entire office had been a rep. for longer than 2.5 years.... and whenever it came up, anyone I talked to seemed very quick to cover-up why a person was no longer working there. Maybe it is because the company is growing so quickly, but I kind of got the impression either you are good enough to move up quickly to a manger status, or you quit from the intensity of the job. Seems like they draw in young, recent college grads. on the premise they are going to make a ridiculous amount of money.

All in all there were some positives and negatives to the experience. Having a recruiter and a contact person is nice, a lot of companies are doing that these days. The other sales reps. seemed like they wanted you to work there- nice people. It is for the best I did not get an offer, after awkwardness of my last interview I had decided not to accept if I was offered. Just way too many red-flags during just the interviews, management seemed too inexperienced, seems like a temporary job. My advice would be to not be jaded by what they tell you that you can make there, they lead with the money thing for a reason. Go with a more recognizable, well-known company if you can.

Interview Questions
    • "What are you going to buy with all the money you make at Paycom...?"   View Answer

Nov 19, 2013Representative

We appreciate your feedback and offer our most sincere apology for any lapse in communication that may have occurred. We make sure to notify each candidate on the interview processes beforehand so ... More

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Irvine, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Paycom in October 2013.

A recruiter set me up for, what looked like, a great opportunity. Seems to have great online presence, base salary and commission structure. I was 15 minutes early to the interview... He was 45 minutes late and called me by the wrong name... (life happens... no worries). After giving me a speech on how every interview should have an equal amount of time and shows no favorites... he then asked me pointed questions and belittled my current company. After all was said and done he told me, "looks like you have some current business to take care of, here is my card... call me when your 100% ready" ... over the weekend had time to process and decided to call. called him over 10 times, left voice mails and messages... no response.

Very unprofessional. Not living up to your word is the point; Lack of credibility. this is only 1 manager at 1 branch... hope others have a better experience.

Nov 19, 2013Representative

Professionalism is of the utmost importance to us and everyone who represents Paycom. We will look into the issue at hand.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Paycom in October 2013.

Contacted by Paycom representative via LinkedIn. Spoke with him for about 30 minutes. I then scheduled an in person interview with one of the Sales Managers. She was 15 minutes late to our meeting, and that interview only lasted about 20 minutes, which I felt wasn't enough time - but she seemed to have already made up her mind.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions. What's your greatest strength? What's your biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Paycom in September 2013.

Had a phone interview and was asked to come in for a live interview 2 days later. Before the interview was over I was asked to come in for the phone canvassing 2 days later. They sent me a script and some other info to review. I took time off work as the phone canvassing session was to last the entire morning. The night before they called to cancel. Quite annoying considering it was they who were so insistent on moving me through the process as quickly as possible. I think it ended up being a blassing though. The managers seem pretty inexperienced and asked a lot of irrelevant questions. I'm also not convinced all the reviews on this site are true. There are way too many "perfect" reviews that sound like they were written by a marketing person.

Interview Questions
    • They don't ask to much that would help them discern your level of sales skill. Most of it was just verifying the info in my resume.   Answer Question

Oct 29, 2013Representative

We are sorry to hear your comments regarding the process. We were able to issue a gift card despite the cancellation and are sorry for any inconvenience it may have caused. Good luck to you.

Sales Representative Interview

Not getting an offer from Paycom was a blessing in disguise; within 5 minutes into the interview I could tell I did not want to work for this company. My interviewer was rude, uninterested, and I could tell right off the bat she did not like me. If they treat you like this during an interview how are they going to treat you when you are an employee? She also did her very best to drive me into a corner while answering questions. I understand this is to see how people respond under pressure, but she was just rude. I see from other comments people have experienced the same problem, so I do not fault myself, I was prepared for the interview. The interviewer was not prepared to listen.

Interview Questions
    • None- general questions, tell me why you are interested in sales, your experience, etc.   Answer Question

Oct 29, 2013Representative

I am sorry to hear about your experience and can assure you this is not the norm in any of our offices across the nation. Thank you for your comments and we wish you the best in future endeavors.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO (US)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Paycom in August 2013.

It was a 4 round interview process. 1st with the Denver office manager, 2nd with the regional manager, 3rd was an appointment setting session, and last was a final interview with the CSO.

The 1st interview went great! It was obvious that the sales manager was very passionate about Paycom and the future of the company. She seemed to have great interaction with the team and she was very cheerful. She made it very clear what she was looking for in a candidate and her expectations of a new hire.

The 2nd interview also went well. The regional manager was very nice and made me feel like I would be a great fit for the company.

The appointment setting session was very difficult, but it made me realize how exciting the job can be. It challenged me and made want to keep fighting through in order to set the appointments so I could make it to the next step.

Lastly, the interview with the CSO went okay. I don't think I delivered very well on my overall sales experience. He questioned me a lot about my reasons as to why I wanted to relocate to Denver.

I ended up getting asked to get more sales experience and come back and reapply to Paycom down the road. I was very disappointed, but I am confident I would have been a great fit for this company. The amount of pay is rediculous and I am planning on reapplying in another year or so!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the persons who was ranked #1 in your last position. What did he/she do that you didn't do?   Answer Question

Oct 29, 2013Representative

Thank you for the detailed report of your experience. We encourage you to get some valuable sales experience and look forward to seeing your resume next year.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Paycom in July 2013.

I had two rounds of interviews. No problems with the first. But the second day was different since I was to meet three different people, one right after the other. This would have been OK if the first person hadn't been late. I was gone from my then-current employer for about three hours. I'm lucky no one noticed.

Interview Questions
    • Twice I was asked on the spot about what ad or campaign I would do for such and such product. That's not a legitimate question since a true answer requires research, research, brainstorming, more research, more brainstorming, research, research, brainstorming and research.   Answer Question
    Short and sweet.