Paycom

Getting the Interview

8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Troy, MI (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in January 2014.

Interview Details The process first began with an phone screening process that was relatively basic. They went over past work experiences, education, etc. The next step was a one on one interview with the district manager. This was laid back and she asked some simple questions about where you want to be in 5 years, what you are looking for in a position, what are the three most important things in your life, etc. Then a phone canvassing session in which you needed to set up 3 appointments to move on. The first time I did not meet the requirement but they asked me to come back for another time. The second time I could not stay for the full 4 hours, unfortunately, and only set up one appointment. After that I was not asked back for the next step. Still, it was great experience, I learned a lot and it helped me land a different sales position with one of Paycom biggest competitors!

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult to answer. During the phone canvassing session try to sell yourself and not the product as best as you can. That was my ultimate downfall. I did not feel comfortable selling a product I did not know.   Answer Question

Philadelphia, PA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Paycom in February 2014.

Interview Details Interview went pretty well, I had thought. The interviewer did seem to rush through the questions a little bit, and maybe that was because she made her mind up pretty hastily. I mentioned that I wanted to work in order to make money and be able to do things, and I think she took my use of the phrase "work/life balance" to mean that I wanted a ton of vacation time. If I were to guess, that misunderstanding would be why I didn't get a second interview.

Interview Question – Probably when she asked me if I was prepared to work more than forty hours a week, just because I would have thought that my previous answers made it clear that I was.   View Answer

Outside Sales Consultant

Interview Details I was initially contacted by a recruiter from their HQ in Oklahoma and we set up a phone interview for the following week at 2:15 pm. When the phone interview came around, they were 15 minutes late but all went well and I was advanced to the next round. Next, I had a webcam interview with one of the hiring managers. This interview was scheduled on a Monday at 4:00 pm. Yet again Paycom was late for their own interview at a time they scheduled! She was 20 minutes late to the interview and it may have been longer if I did not call my recruiter after 10 minutes of waiting idly by to ask her to remind the hiring manager.The interview went really well and before the meeting concluded I asked about next steps from here (i.e. what I could expect) and she told me that I was a great candidate, possessed good qualities, and that she was definitely going to advance me through the hiring process. She said she saw no reason why they wouldn't. She then went on to give me advice in preparing for the next round, which was the phone canvassing round. Before the interview came to an end, she said she would get in touch with my recruiter and that my recruiter would ask for my schedule so they could set up a time for the next interview. 4 days pass and I receive a rejection email from my recruiter. I immediately replied with confusion and told her exactly what the hiring manager told me and she responded back saying, "I'm Sorry. She decided to move forward with a candidate that was a better fit. Thanks for your interest." ...Really?! That is very ambiguous and horrible treatment. I'm glad I got to see the company for what they really were and did not advance, I wouldn't want to spend my time working with a company that can't treat people with respect. I should have seen the signs from the beginning...15 minutes late to a phone interview and 20 minutes late to the next interview, which I had to call and remind them of!

Interview Question – The interview process isn't that tough if you do your research and come prepared.   Answer Question

Flag Interview

Paycom Representative responded to this review

Jan 31, 2014

We do our very best to respect the time of every candidate that enters our process. Because we offer protected territories and don’t overstaff our markets, we only ask a select group to move onto the ... More

Lewisville, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Paycom in April 2013.

Interview Details This had to be the most unprofessional interview I have ever encountered. The manager was about 10 minutes late, it lasted all of 10 minutes, and not only did he not ask me any questions about my background, but whenever he did decide to speak up he wouldn't even look me in the eye. He said he did have a concern that I was coming from Pharmaceutical Sales and the sales are different, but sir...look at my resume, I clearly had the experience in transactional sales, way more than my 2 years in pharma. I closed for the next steps at the end of the interview and his response was, "its too early to tell" but got received a rejection email the next morning. I would have declined the offer, anyway.

Flag Interview

Paycom Representative responded to this review

Jun 26, 2013

We sincerely apologize for your experience and are working to ensure this is a one-time scenario.

Miami, FL (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paycom.

Interview Details phone interview, then a face to face interview with the sales manager, then a face to face with a regional manager, then a 4 hour session of phone canvassing (cold calling), then possibly a ride along with a current sales rep, then a final interview with a head hauncho. Honestly, I may have missed a step...its a grueling process!

Interview Question – Just your typical interview questions about past sales experiences and a "tell me how you handled a challenging situation in your sales career" etc. Honestly, I was not a fan of this company. They miss communicated my interview date and time (frustrating) then, they wanted me to come back in for another phone canvassing session after I had already proven I could do it. Lastly, the sales manager was a huge B. You could definitely tell she was on her high horse and was not coming down. Obviously not all their managers are like this, but this one def was!   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Paycom.

Interview Details I applied online directly through the website. I received an email a few weeks later saying that they "decided to pursue other options for this position at this time." A few weeks after that I was contacted by the corporate recruiter on a Friday saying they had come across my resume on CareerBuilder and wanted to talk to me about Paycom. She conducted a brief screening over the phone and said that she wanted to have me meet with the Sales Manager at the nearest branch office the following Monday. She said she would email me information confirming my interview. I did not receive the email till Saturday night (which I thought was odd). I went in to interview with the sales manager. Typical sales interview questions. He said he would let me know if I make it to the next step via the Corporate Recruiter. Later that week I was emailed the same email that I had received the first time I had applied saying again that they "decided to pursue other options for this position at this time."

Interview Questions

• If I asked your current boss what he thought you needed to work on, what would he say?   View Answer
  • I see that you have a biology background, why do you want to work here? Why not go into medical device sales?   Answer Question

Charlotte, NC (US)

I applied online and interviewed at Paycom.

Interview Details Really good base salary plus commission. They have to offer that because the job takes hard work and endless hours of cold calling. The human resources team in OKC were really nice. I was excited about the job until I walked into the Charlotte office. Very cluttered group of cubicles with boxes everywhere. The job might be for some people but wasnt right for me.

Interview Question – What are 3 words that describe yourself?   Answer Question

Vienna, VA (US)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Paycom in August 2012.

Interview Details I got there and they were running late in interviews i had to wait 30 minutes. My second interview was skype and was interrupted by a phone call.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when someone gave you tough feedback what did you do and how did you handle it?

Tell me about a time you persuaded someone to do what you wanted and how did you do that?
  Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Paycom

Worked for Paycom? Contribute to the Community!

Paycom Videos

Paycom – Why Work for Us?

Paycom was founded in Oklahoma City in 1998 as the first online payroll company capable of serving mid-size businesses. Paycom’s CEO spent years in the payroll industry and knew there had to be a better way to service… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Paycom Outside Sales Consultant interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Paycom employees and interview candidates.