Peace Corps

Getting the Interview

53 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sustainable Agriculture Extension Agent Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details You fill out the application online and then you do an in-person interview at one the Peace Corps regional offices. If all your medical paperwork clears, you'll be offered a position.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time you were placed in a new environment- what did you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Interviewed at Peace Corps

Interview Details Some people are interviewed over the phone I was interviewed in person. Peace corps has a long application but it has changed since I did it. The interview process is simple, they ask questions to see if you are the type of person that would last in a demanding and foreign environment.

Interview Question – How would you deal with people who discriminated against you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really isn't one, you signed up to basically work for free. Hope you like it!

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in October 2010.

Interview Details Very lengthy process (for good reason). Applied online and was contacted immediately by a recruiter. Application packet included several essays and letters of interest, several letters of recommendation, CV, and college transcripts. After that the process included a background check (finger printing), and medical clearance.

Normally the interview is fairly early on in the application process. In most cases, you will be called in for an interview with your nearest recruiter, but because I lived out of state from my initial recruiter I had my interview over the phone/Skype.

Intverview was very laid back and friendly. Questions focused on ability to integrate into cultures and dedication for two years. They asked for a time I taught something to someone, a time when I had difficulty working with someone, as well as my greatest weakness and leadership ability.

The second half of the interview was about my preference in working in certain regions or sectors. I was originally offered an Agricultural sector position in South America, but when I voiced that I would be more comfortable teaching English they moved me to the Education Sector for Southeast Asia.

Interview Question – Would you be willing to give up or hide part of who you are in order to integrate into the culture? (Example wearing piercings or certain clothes, going to a certain church, or eating certain foods)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, all volunteers receive a predetermined allowance during service, and a readjustment allowance at the end of service.

Very Easy Interview

Volunteer Interview

Volunteer

I interviewed at Peace Corps in May 2009.

Interview Details The interview was quite simple. I was asked questions about my past experience abroad, how I felt in cross-cultural settings, what program area I felt my skills were most suited to, and what challenges I anticipated as a volunteer. I got the feeling that it was unlikely I would say anything that would negatively affect my application. The recruiter was pleasant and the process was smooth. I went on to serve happily and successfully as a volunteer for three years.

However, I've since learned that the organization accepts pretty much everyone who can clear the lengthy medical screening process. The applicant/volunteer's actual ability to serve only becomes truly apparent once he or she is out in the field, and this ability is hard to accurately assess in a brief interview in the States.

Interview Question – How would you feel about changing your manner of dress or self-presentation to better fit in with a local population? (I am a female, and at the time of my interview I had VERY short hair.)   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Portland, ME (US)

I applied online and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in February 2009.

Interview Details Very thorough interview by the recruiter. Lots of questions about my background and flexibility and anticipated challenges. Interviewer read thru my entire application packet and asked many questions. Asked about my geographic preferences for where I'd like to be placed but it was important to show flexibility re a potential assignment (eg don't say that you'll only go to country x)

Negotiation Details – Minimal

Regional Recruiter Interview

Regional Recruiter

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details Situational interview.

Interview Question – How would you respond to someone who asks if Peace Corps is dangerous?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Federal salaries are nonn-negotiable unless you've previously held a federal position at a higher pay rate.

Very Easy Interview

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details I applied online, received a packet of info to fill out. Completed this over a long time frame (medical evaluations). Called in for interview and told I was in before it was over

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

Technical Trainer Interview

Technical Trainer
Kingston (Jamaica)

I applied online - interviewed at Peace Corps in April 2009.

Interview Details Very transparent advertising process for the job. The application process is very specific . Long application that must be tailored to the knowledge , skills and abilities (KSA's) of peace corps . Interviewing is by panel, there is a point scoring method. The process is explained at the beginning of interview . Members of the panel take turns . Interview may take up to 1hour. Friendly staff , work environment is not very intense, maybe because its bit about meeting monetary deadlines. I have heard of culture clashes between interviewers and my colleagues( Americans and locals ) but nothing major.

Interview Question – Make a presentation to the panel on an area which you might be presenting on to volunteers   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It's a non-negotiable offer . Salary was already stated in job advert .

El Segundo, CA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Peace Corps in August 2013.

Interview Details After submitting my application with references, I was contacted by a regional recruiter to set up an interview time. The office was tucked away into the side of a really upscale building complete with security guard, fountain, and glass doors. The clerk at the front desk and the recruiter were an absolute pleasure to talk to, and I didn't feel uncomfortable about any part of the process. The only thing to prepare for is an interview that can last upwards of 2 hours.

Interview Question – Describe an ambiguous or unstructured situation you've been in. How did you work through it?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in November 2010.

Interview Details Fill out lengthy application form online and write two essays. If everything checks out, they'll invite you for an interview. If they like you, a regional recruiter will call you for a phone follow up and possibly nominate you for a region. Wait months as you get your medical and legal background checks sorted out and receive a final assignment a few months before departure. I went through the entire process in 8 months and many volunteers consider that very quick.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you've been a minority.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, as it's a volunteer program.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Peace Corps