Peace Corps

Updated 2 Dec 2014
Updated 2 Dec 2014

2.8

Very Standard
    interviewed was reading right from a list of questions and typing my answers as I went - which was very distracting at times
    It took about 4 months from the time my application was submitted to when I was finally interviewed

Interview Questions
    • Most stressed period in your life and how you coped with it   Answer Question

Peace Corps Medical Officer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Transparent and well organized. Reference from DOS very useful- I worked as locum tenens doctor at the US Embassy. Had several visits at the clinic I worked from DOS, area PCMO from Senegal, PC NP from local post. The whole process was compressed in 3 days but spread out over a period of more than 6 months.

Interview Questions
    Brief, salary had fixed rates, benefits on the other hand where flexible.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

I recommend starting the application process 6-12 months before you intend to serve. The process is lengthy due to the extensive medical and background check. Once you pass the medical/background portion you will be contacted for an interview. The interview is typically done in person, however, mine was done via Skype. My interview lasted 2 hours.

Interview Questions
    • What are your coping mechanisms?   Answer Question
    • How would you feel about living and working in a culture where men and women are not treated as equals?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

It is a complicated application with many essays followed by an in person interview and finally you need to pass medical test which can be difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have experience living or working with different cultures? Please describe. How do you handle conflict. Describe a time.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in March 2014.

The application was extensive but could be completed fairly easily online, then was contacted by a recruiter for a 15 min phone conversation. Then there was the interview which lasted 1.5 hours. It was very friendly and was more like a conversation. Be sure to prepare for the in-person interview by googling "peace corps" interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had trouble following a rule.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

After researching to see if the Peace Corps is right for you, you can go on their website to find out where the closest recruiting officer is. You can schedule to make an appointment. When I met with mine she talked to me about the various types of positions volunteers can have and what types of projects they work on. I filled out the application and waited to hear back from DC. After I was given the green light, I completed a background check to show that I wasn't in any financial or legal trouble and also a medical exam to show I was healthy enough to go live in the woods for 2 years. Once this was all completed and turned in to DC I waited to hear if I was accepted. From start to end the process took 16 months.

Interview Questions
    • The hardest part is the medical examination because many small problems in the states can disqualify you since many locations lack access to good medical facilities.   Answer Question
    There's no negotiation, but you're not joining the Peace Corps for the money

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

The point of the interview process is to make sure that you are going to be able to excel for 2 years of service. This means if you can be a self starter, be away from friends and family and find happiness, and if you can be culturally sensitive and accepting. Don't try and work the system, because all the people that leave service are because of these reasons, be honest with the situation, and if you are a good fit, congrats! If not, there are plenty other service opportunities that aren't as intense a commitment, not everyone is meant to be a Peace Corps volunteer, and the investment is in training, so they are trying to find those that have that special something before the investment.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a challenging situation and what you did to overcome it.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 11+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

First, you must fill out a rather lengthy application. Once that is approved, you must have a background check, and then a medical check. The medical check is meant to ensure that you are healthy enough to serve for 27 months in a rural area with limited access to medical care. You will have an in-person interview, during which the interviewer must read questions from a script and he/she must write your answers down verbatim (this can be a bit awkward as they scribble away). Later, you will have a phone interview or two. Finally, you will receive your invitation to serve along with information about your program (English education, health education, small business development, etc) and your country of service. The whole process usually takes about a year.

OMS Interview

Very thorough. Background check required

Sustainable Agriculture Extension Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

You fill out the application online and then you do an in-person interview at one the Peace Corps regional offices. If all your medical paperwork clears, you'll be offered a position.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time you were placed in a new environment- what did you do?   Answer Question
    No negotiation