Peace Corps

Getting the Interview

31 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details It is a complicated application with many essays followed by an in person interview and finally you need to pass medical test which can be difficult.

Interview Question – Do you have experience living or working with different cultures? Please describe. How do you handle conflict. Describe a time.   Answer Question

Cotonou (Benin)

I applied online and the process took a year or more - interviewed at Peace Corps in August 2010.

Interview Details Cumbersome. The process takes about a year from start to finish. You have to fill out a lot of paperwork and be very flexible, as you most likely won't be offered your first choice in terms of job location. The interview is pretty harmless, but you do need to emphasize the fact that you have an upbeat personality and are optimistic.

Interview Question – Will you be ok with a community referring to you as "their volunteer?"   Answer Question

Tampa, FL (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details After researching to see if the Peace Corps is right for you, you can go on their website to find out where the closest recruiting officer is. You can schedule to make an appointment. When I met with mine she talked to me about the various types of positions volunteers can have and what types of projects they work on. I filled out the application and waited to hear back from DC. After I was given the green light, I completed a background check to show that I wasn't in any financial or legal trouble and also a medical exam to show I was healthy enough to go live in the woods for 2 years. Once this was all completed and turned in to DC I waited to hear if I was accepted. From start to end the process took 16 months.

Interview Question – The hardest part is the medical examination because many small problems in the states can disqualify you since many locations lack access to good medical facilities.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There's no negotiation, but you're not joining the Peace Corps for the money

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied through college or university and the process took 6+ months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details The point of the interview process is to make sure that you are going to be able to excel for 2 years of service. This means if you can be a self starter, be away from friends and family and find happiness, and if you can be culturally sensitive and accepting. Don't try and work the system, because all the people that leave service are because of these reasons, be honest with the situation, and if you are a good fit, congrats! If not, there are plenty other service opportunities that aren't as intense a commitment, not everyone is meant to be a Peace Corps volunteer, and the investment is in training, so they are trying to find those that have that special something before the investment.

Interview Question – Tell about a challenging situation and what you did to overcome it.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 11 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details First, you must fill out a rather lengthy application. Once that is approved, you must have a background check, and then a medical check. The medical check is meant to ensure that you are healthy enough to serve for 27 months in a rural area with limited access to medical care. You will have an in-person interview, during which the interviewer must read questions from a script and he/she must write your answers down verbatim (this can be a bit awkward as they scribble away). Later, you will have a phone interview or two. Finally, you will receive your invitation to serve along with information about your program (English education, health education, small business development, etc) and your country of service. The whole process usually takes about a year.

Interview Question – Can you handle sexual harassment?   View Answer

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in September 2010.

Interview Details -Submit online app
-Do onsite interview
-App gets forwarded to PC headquarters
-Do medical & admin paperwork
-Contacted from placement desk
-Final placement interview
-Invitation issued

Interview Question – Interview was straightforward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation--I wanted to change my track but they wouldn't let me.

Interviewed at Peace Corps

Interview Details Some people are interviewed over the phone I was interviewed in person. Peace corps has a long application but it has changed since I did it. The interview process is simple, they ask questions to see if you are the type of person that would last in a demanding and foreign environment.

Interview Question – How would you deal with people who discriminated against you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really isn't one, you signed up to basically work for free. Hope you like it!

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in October 2010.

Interview Details Very lengthy process (for good reason). Applied online and was contacted immediately by a recruiter. Application packet included several essays and letters of interest, several letters of recommendation, CV, and college transcripts. After that the process included a background check (finger printing), and medical clearance.

Normally the interview is fairly early on in the application process. In most cases, you will be called in for an interview with your nearest recruiter, but because I lived out of state from my initial recruiter I had my interview over the phone/Skype.

Intverview was very laid back and friendly. Questions focused on ability to integrate into cultures and dedication for two years. They asked for a time I taught something to someone, a time when I had difficulty working with someone, as well as my greatest weakness and leadership ability.

The second half of the interview was about my preference in working in certain regions or sectors. I was originally offered an Agricultural sector position in South America, but when I voiced that I would be more comfortable teaching English they moved me to the Education Sector for Southeast Asia.

Interview Question – Would you be willing to give up or hide part of who you are in order to integrate into the culture? (Example wearing piercings or certain clothes, going to a certain church, or eating certain foods)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, all volunteers receive a predetermined allowance during service, and a readjustment allowance at the end of service.

Very Difficult Interview

Portland, ME (US)

I applied online and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in February 2009.

Interview Details Very thorough interview by the recruiter. Lots of questions about my background and flexibility and anticipated challenges. Interviewer read thru my entire application packet and asked many questions. Asked about my geographic preferences for where I'd like to be placed but it was important to show flexibility re a potential assignment (eg don't say that you'll only go to country x)

Negotiation Details – Minimal

Very Easy Interview

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details I applied online, received a packet of info to fill out. Completed this over a long time frame (medical evaluations). Called in for interview and told I was in before it was over

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Peace Corps

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Peace Corps Peace Corps Volunteers interview questions and advice. All 31 interview reviews posted anonymously by Peace Corps employees and interview candidates.