Pew Charitable Trusts Interview Questions

Updated 4 Apr 2015
Updated 4 Apr 2015

3.1

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview

The process started with a phone interview with their recruiter. I waited about a week and a half before I was contacted for an in-person interview. It wasn't until I got to the interview that I was notified that it was a panel interview. Also, before you come in for the person interview, they send you a very long second application/background check.

Senior Associate Interview

Interview

Very formal process that seems to vary by department and the role being hired for. Interviewed twice by HR, then position's supervisor then the supervisor's supervisor. Date of application to date of job offer was ~75 days and it seems that's about average. References were checked extensively and a full background check was conducted. Interviews were pleasant but HR interaction was a bit flaky. Overall a positive experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I asked what the salary range was for the position and told what I now know is the low range. I set a salary requirement above that which was accepted without question or further negotiation.

Fundraiser Interview

Application

Interview

Very detailed and exhaustive vetting process, multiple meetings with a revolving cast of characters from the in house recruiter to would-be colleagues and managers. Final vetting by head of department, which in hindsight is a total personality test. If that manager did not like you, regardless of qualifications or others' opinions, you were out. Also in hindsight, there is a mismatch between title and daily work and job description and daily work. It's almost a bait and switch.

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate and the salary and benefits were competitive in the marketplace, but it was also clear that people who were hired after a certain date made a significantly higher salary than those hired before. This created a lot of dissatisfaction in the department.

Pew Employee Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview

I had three interviews total for the same position; they hired me ---- and THEN I had to wait another 45 days for a background check and THEN they "officially hired me" - meaning I received a FEDEX package stating I was hired. By that time, I almost forgot I applied.

Interview Questions

• "Why do you want to work at Pew?"   1 Answer

Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview

The interview process with Pew is very thorough. First, I was contacted for a phone interview and then I had an in person interview. After being scheduled for an in person interview, I had to complete a lengthy full application. The in person interview was conducted by two people in the department. I thought the interview went well but I did not receive a call back. I thought it was quite rude that I did not receive a call back after completing a long application ( similar to a government background check) and a one hour interview with multiple people. They could have at least politely declined me. Listen to the other Glassdoor reviewers when they tell you that this company does not appreciate people. The interviewers hinted to a very challenging environment throughout the interview.

Fellow Interview

Interview

Interviewed with multiple teams about multiple fellowship positions. Everyone was cordial but no one went out of their way to make the interviewees feel welcome. There wasn't really a structured set of questions or discussion points for any of the interviewers. I was quickly invited into a conference room for the interview and didn't wait too long for interviewers to come in. The office space is beautiful but a little cold.

Interview Questions

• The lack of questions was the most off putting thing about the interview.   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview

Hiring process was very straightforward. I received a call from the recruiter and was given an overview of the job and we discussed briefly how my background and qualifications aligned with the position. I was then invited for an in-person interview at headquarters where I met with the team leads. They were very nice and polite and answered all my questions. It became clear that my long term goals did not necessarily align with the duties of the position and we discussed that openly. They were candid with me and, though I did not receive an offer, I did not expect to after our conversation.

Interview Questions

• A few behavioral interview questions, but mostly questions related to the ability and willingness to perform the day-to-day tasks of the job.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC (US)).

Interview

Phase 1, HR phone interview. I asked a lot of detailed questions about the organization and the position, and the recruiter was unable to answer most of them. She replied with answers piecemeal over the next few days.
    Phase 2, 1:1 interview with my to-be supervisor. Standard interview fare. Unremarkable in every way
    Phase 3, I returned for THREE more 1:1 interviews, each an hour in length. It was exhausting and repetitive.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were particularly difficult, but interviewing with 5 different people was unexpected and tedious   Answer Question

Negotiation

They claim that all offers are based on "internal equity" and are non-negotiable. The offer I received seemed fair, so I didn't push it

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC (US)).

Interview

You need lots of patience. Phone interview with HR staff --> phone interview with program directors--> "assignment"-->on-site interviews with several staff members -->phone interviews with high-ups.

Negotiation

little room for negotiation

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC (US)) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied through the Pew website and was contacted within a few days. I did an HR phone screening, panel interview (surprised me as I was told it would be 1-on-1), phone interview, then about two months of waiting for a decision, with intermittent email exchanges with the hiring manager. I got the impression that employees operate under a lot of red tape and answer to a long chain of command. The most enjoyable part of the process was the panel interview; all the people I interviewed with seemed to be genuinely nice and helpful.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions caught me off guard. It was mostly a casual conversation about my experience and resume.   Answer Question