Pew Charitable Trusts

Pew Charitable Trusts Interview Questions

Updated 3 Dec 2014
Updated 3 Dec 2014

Fellow Interview

Interviewed with multiple teams about multiple fellowship positions. Everyone was cordial but no one went out of their way to make the interviewees feel welcome. There wasn't really a structured set of questions or discussion points for any of the interviewers. I was quickly invited into a conference room for the interview and didn't wait too long for interviewers to come in. The office space is beautiful but a little cold.

Interview Questions
    • The lack of questions was the most off putting thing about the interview.   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Hiring process was very straightforward. I received a call from the recruiter and was given an overview of the job and we discussed briefly how my background and qualifications aligned with the position. I was then invited for an in-person interview at headquarters where I met with the team leads. They were very nice and polite and answered all my questions. It became clear that my long term goals did not necessarily align with the duties of the position and we discussed that openly. They were candid with me and, though I did not receive an offer, I did not expect to after our conversation.

Interview Questions
    • A few behavioral interview questions, but mostly questions related to the ability and willingness to perform the day-to-day tasks of the job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Phase 1, HR phone interview. I asked a lot of detailed questions about the organization and the position, and the recruiter was unable to answer most of them. She replied with answers piecemeal over the next few days.
    Phase 2, 1:1 interview with my to-be supervisor. Standard interview fare. Unremarkable in every way
    Phase 3, I returned for THREE more 1:1 interviews, each an hour in length. It was exhausting and repetitive.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were particularly difficult, but interviewing with 5 different people was unexpected and tedious   Answer Question
    They claim that all offers are based on "internal equity" and are non-negotiable. The offer I received seemed fair, so I didn't push it

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

You need lots of patience. Phone interview with HR staff --> phone interview with program directors--> "assignment"-->on-site interviews with several staff members -->phone interviews with high-ups.

little room for negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in March 2014.

I applied through the Pew website and was contacted within a few days. I did an HR phone screening, panel interview (surprised me as I was told it would be 1-on-1), phone interview, then about two months of waiting for a decision, with intermittent email exchanges with the hiring manager. I got the impression that employees operate under a lot of red tape and answer to a long chain of command. The most enjoyable part of the process was the panel interview; all the people I interviewed with seemed to be genuinely nice and helpful.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions caught me off guard. It was mostly a casual conversation about my experience and resume.   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

My own experience was lengthy, over several rounds of interviews and weeks. There's clearly very big internal roadblocks to clear in the interview process, and you get a sense that a number of people you never meet have to vet you before you get an offer. Which, if you get to that point, isn't negotiable even by a dollar. Welcome to the rarified world of "paying for the recognition." the offer I received was quite competitive (full disclosure) but they tell you up front that there's no counter-offer or negotiation. A bit unsettling when you hear that, and really, a hint of what the workplace will become.

Interview Questions
    • Defending your years of experience. Someone you never meet calculates your experience based on your resume/cv. Then they tell you, though it may have taken, say 9 years of grad school and work to now be a PhD, they believe you really only have 5.5 years.   Answer Question
    Negotiations were rejected outright.

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Great HR staff, very easy to work with informative, and will talk to you!

No negotiation - it was low, even for a non-profit in DC as well funded as they are

Interactive Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in December 2013.

Hiring process took two months as Pew conducts a very strict background and education check. All your references must be available, your resume has to be spotless with no time gaps unless you have reasons to have time gaps.

nothing out of the ordinary,

Manager Interview

Fairly easy process

Interview Questions
    • How well do you deal with bureaucracy?   View Answer
    Able to negotiate something at the time but took a pay cut

Executive Office Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in May 2013.

I received an email from one of the recruiters asking to schedule a phone interview. We scheduled a mutually convenient time for the following day. I spent 30 minutes or so with the recruiter. We both agreed that we should continue to talk, and scheduled a follow up call the next day. After the follow up call, I was invited in to meet with the recruiter as well as the senior recruiter. The meetings with both were very courteous, professional, and open. I was able to ask lots of questions about the position and the organization. After the interview, the recruiter gave me great feedback. We stayed in touch via phone and email for the next couple of weeks.

Interview Questions
    • I felt that all of the questions that were asked of me were fair. I did not feel that they were overly difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question