Progressive Insurance
www.progressive.com Cleveland, OH 5000+ Employees

Progressive Insurance Customer Service Representative Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Apr 06, 2014

Getting the Interview

38 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Riverview, FL (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in December 2011.

Interview Details applied online, received an email to take an assessment test, received a reply with in days about setting up a phone interview. I was also sent an email letting me know the questions that might be asked. After my phone interview I received another email with in a couple days about my face to face interview. The face to face interview was a 2 hour process interviewing with 2 managers. They use the STAR format for interviewing, asking about time management, mutli-tasking, problem solving and many more

Interview Question – Tell me about questions can be hard   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't know you could negotiate the salary, but what the offered was what I wanted so it worked out great.

Austin, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in February 2014.

Interview Details 1) Fill out Application, 2) Pass Assessment Test, 3) Accept and Complete Phone Interview, 4) Complete HireRight Employment Verification Check, 5) Complete Progressive's Criminal Background Check, 6)Accept and Complete a Satisfactory 1-day On-Site Interview with 2 Separate Supervisors Expect to answer questions related to 1 specific call, 7) If Offered a Position, ACCEPT THE JOB!!!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you were assisting a customer on a situation that changed the way you thought about the company.   View Answer
  • Tell me about a time when you failed to provide the correct solution for a customer. What did you did to correct the issue?   View Answer
  • How do you handle calls from customers that seem to be unsatisfied with everything offered?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – We negotiated on a schedule that would still work for me.

Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in March 2014.

Interview Details I am currently a supervisor with another call center but decided to apply as a customer service representative with Progressive thinking it was a great way to get my foot into the door.

I had two phone interviews with a recruiter and discussed the fact I was currently a supervisor and the reason I was looking at this customer service rep role. I asked if it was a concern for their company that I am currently in a leadership role and was assured it was not a problem for them. So I set up an in-person interview.

The in-person interview took 2 hours total. Two days later the recruiter called me to say that the leaders I interviewed with are not comfortable taking someone who is currently a supervisor and hiring them for a customer service rep role. I asked the recruiter if they were aware that I was currently a supervisor before I ever agreed to meet with them in person and the recruiter said yes, they were aware of this beforehand as they had and reviewed my resume.

I asked that since their leadership"s standard stance is to not hire someone in a leadership role for a customer service rep role, then why would they ask me to come down there (20 miles one way from my home) to interview for 2 hours if no matter what I said or how well I did in that interview, there was no chance they would offer me this position. The recruiters response was "well, they still wanted to talk with you".

I am perfectly fine with not getting a job offer as I am currently employed (at a higher salary), but this was a complete waste of my time, gas, mileage (and two hours of lost pay at work) to go interview when they all knew that no matter what I said they had no intention of offering me this position even before I arrived for the interview. Very sad that this company does not value peoples time.

As a long term customer of Progressive, I have cancelled all policies and went to another company for insurance. I will also do my best to steer anyone away because of their complete lack of respect for peoples time.

Interview Question – Standard interview questions that follow the STAR format. You will however sit with a rep for about 30 minutes in between the two interviews so you can see what the reps do. Kind of scary you have that much access to customers personal information and you do not even work there.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview Details One of the hardest interviews I've had. In fact, I was told of the thousands of applicants, only 1% are hired. I submitted my application online, got a call to schedule a phone interview. Then did a face to face with two supervisors in the room, then one on one with each supervisor. I was given a tour and did an hour side by side listening to calls with another employee. Got a call about a week later with the employment offer, contingent on backround check. They will check ALL references, ALL previous employers, and ALL education. Whole process took about 5 weeks.

Interview Question – Progressive uses the STAR interview method. Look it up and familiarize yourself with it- you'll be asked from 15-45 of these types of questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Fair pay, GREAT benefits and AMAZING bonus

Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in November 2013.

Interview Details Went through all interviews start Monday. I am interested in how the test is after the 6 weeks training. I was told if you don't pass the first time you are out. Can someone tell me how difficult the test is.

Interview Question – What was the biggest mistake you have made in previous positions   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in June 2011.

Interview Details Completed online application and received an email shortly thereafter to take on online assessment test. Basic questions such as "what would you do" or "how did you handle" a particular situation. They will provide you a link to their job website that will provide you with questions to expect beforehand. I received a call a couple of days later saying that I did not qualify for that position but other positions were available that I did qualify for. I agreed to proceed with it and was contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview. Recruiter very nice, and laid back and provided great feedback. She forwarded my info on to be scheduled for and on-site interview and this was the worst part of the entire experience. After playing phone tag for about a week, I finally spoke to someone and told the training class was full! What? Honestly, this was a red flag but I have since learned that this happens all the time and my experience is not unique. At any rate, I was interviewed by 2 supervisors (separately) with completely different interviewing styles. However, I was contacted within the week and offered the position. The time the process takes will depend on many variables (number of applicants, training start date, etc). Please research STAR questions because that is all that is used and the "R" is the most important in my opinion.

Interview Question – Please explain a time when you were required to use multiple systems.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much room left to negotiate because the salary is set based on the title. Although there is a range it's just not that wide. I was offered in on the higher side and did no negotiating.

Customer Service Representative
Highland Heights, OH (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in May 2009.

Interview Details After a phone screening I was asked to complete an in office online test to gauge my customer service skills. Following that was another in person interview by three different people. A week later I was notified by phone that I was selected to be hired. Overall the questions were pretty common sense, it was more or less just the elaborate process itself that was lengthy.

Interview Question – Why do you want this job and where do you want to be in two years from now?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not able to negotiate as the job level is non-negotiable and it is a corporation. I would recommend this job for anyone looking for entry level. As long as you can do well the first year and avoid any 'performance management' you'll have a decent shot at getting promoted.

Customer Service Representative
Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in October 2013.

Interview Details I applied online, took an assessment, and got an email within 24 hours saying that I passed the assessment and to follow a link to fill out my full work history. I was contacted the same week and they scheduled me a phone interview pretty quickly. It lasted one hour where we discussed my work history and was asked situational questions. At the end she said she would like to schedule a 1 on 1 interview. It was about a week later. I sat with a customer service rep for 30 minutes listening to her calls. She'd be there 5+ years and said she loved working for Progressive. I really enjoyed this part. Then a manager came and took me to a conference room and asked me about 5-6 situational questions. Another manager came in and asked me more questions. Both managers were extremely nice, made me feel comfortable, and were "real". I really loved the whole experience because I didn't feel like I being interrogated. If you are not familiar with the STAR interview process, look it up. They want you to follow this for every answer. Details are important, and the result is the most important. They said they would be in contact soon. I got a call from the recruiter a few hours later telling me that they were impressed with my interview and they would like to proceed in the next step. They had to complete a full background check. Once that was completed, I got a call with the offer. The whole process took 3 weeks.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you did not get along with a co-worker and how you handled it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They posted a range of pay and they offered me right in the middle, I felt this was fair.

Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in October 2013.

Interview Details First I applied for the position online through the Progressive website. After that they sent me an email advising me that I had been selected to complete the pre-employment assessment. The assessment was not difficult. Then after I passed the test they set up a phone interview with me. The phone interview lasted 45 mins. It contained a few STAR questions. After that an in person interview was scheduled. The in person interview lasted 2.5 hours. The first part of the interview was answering more STAR questions and various questions related to how comfortable I would feel working in a call center environment and my familiarity with it. The second part of the interview I sat with a current employee of the company and listened to phone calls. On the third part of the interview I met with another company representative to answer more STAR questions. The day after the interview I was called and was told that I had been selected, but they could not give me a job offer until the background check was completed. The background check took 3-5 days. After that I was called by a recruiter and was given a job offer.

Interview Question – None of them were too difficult   Answer Question

Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in July 2009.

Interview Details they have a phone interview first with hr which is about 1 hour long which consist of situation style questions like "tell me a time when you dealt with a difficult customer and how you handled it"

Interviews for Top Jobs at Progressive Insurance

Worked for Progressive Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Progressive Insurance Videos

Progressive Insurance – Why Work for Us?

Around here, people use the word “love” when talking about their jobs. That’s because Progressive is a special type of place… where you don’t stop until a project is finished—then eagerly move on to new and exciting… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Progressive Insurance Customer Service Representative interview questions and advice. All 38 interview reviews posted anonymously by Progressive Insurance employees and interview candidates.