Publix Interview Questions

Updated 29 Oct 2014
Updated 29 Oct 2014

2.0

Deli Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Publix.

Kiosk computer application. Called back within two weeks. Brief interview with basic questions suck as "Why do you want to work for this company?". They stressed the conservative look of the store and how old and reputable the company is. They seriously love to talk about the founder.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when you were honest?   View Answer
    Minimum wage. A lot of people apply so they aren't looking to negotiate.

Bakery Clerk Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Publix.

I was referred to the store manager by a current employee, so I am fairly sure I skipped much of the usual interview process. I went in for the interview with the store Manager and Assistant store Manager and was asked a number of interview questions like " What are your hobbies?" " Why do you want to work at Publix?" " What is your experience?" "What can you bring to the table as a Publix Employee?".

Interview Questions
    • What do you like to do in your spare time.   View Answer
    I was expecting a lesser amount as I was initially hired for a different position but when I went in to fill out paperwork I was told I was being placed in a different department with a 75 cent pay raise. No negotiation, it was more than I was expecting and I was content.

Bagger Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Decatur, AL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Decatur, AL (US)

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Publix.

I applied for Publix at the kiosk in the store and two weeks later they called me for an interview. The managers were very friendly and the interview was among the easiest I had ever been to. This being my first job they were very clear about the whole process and how everything works, just being very informative. I already had a job lined up at Kroger for the same position but since Publix is much closer to my home I wanted a job there instead. The manager asked me how much Kroger was going to pay me and I told her minimum wage, she offered me $8/hr as a bagger at Publix. I accepted.

However, it took Publix two weeks to set up everything so I could begin my pre-orientation and go to the actual orientation so I could begin working. I was drug tested at the interview (which was on a Wednesday) and was told that if they didn't call me within the next week for me to call them. They never called me back, so I called them exactly a week after my interview and the manager told me to come in the same day and sign my papers for the background check. After signing the papers the manager told me that I would receive a call the next day to begin my pre-orientation. I never got a call the next day so I called them and a different manager told me that it would take several days before I could begin the pre-orientation. I waited almost another week and called them on a Tuesday and was told that I could come in the following Friday to begin my pre-orientation (which is tomorrow).

To summarize, the interviews are a breeze as long as you use your manners and are friendly, but if you really want the job you better call them and don't sit around waiting on them to call you. If you wait on them you'll probably never start working. I suspect that since the holidays are approaching that they were probably hiring a lot of new people, so they were most likely a little behind.

Interview Questions
    • What do you do in your spare time?
      Why should I hire you over the other applicants?
        Answer Question

Bakery Clerk Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Publix.

Talked to bakery manager he seemed interested in me haven't heard back. That was a month ago. I was pretty excited about the job and the atmosphere of the place. Have heard nothing but great things about them

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself. Are you looking for a job or a career   Answer Question

Deli Clerk Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Publix.

2 interviews, if you get called back for a second interview you pretty much have the job. Applied at a kiosk, it helps to know people that work there, they ask you a few very normal interview questions and in some cases they might ask you to sell something to them. For example they'll tell you to sell a stapler to them because they want to make sure you are competitive and aggressive at sales

Interview Questions
    I suggest negotiating with the highest amount you were paid at your last place of work, they will start you off with more if you have experience at another deli

Bakery Clerk Interview

talked to manager, he seemed interested in my resume but i never got a call back it has been about three weeks now, i was excited to work for this company as well. but i never got an offer

Part Time Cashier Interview

In order to be considered for an interview at Publix, you must fill out an application at one of the stores. The application process may take 1 hour total. The interviewing process is fairly simple. Meet with the store manager and go over your resume.

Front Service Clerk (Bagger) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seminole, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seminole, FL (US)

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Publix in October 2014.

I applied at the application center in-store. They had a sign up stating they were hiring for some new stores that were about to open in the area. I applied for 3 different positions (cashier, bagger, and stocking). I got called about 3 days later and scheduled an interview for the next day. The interview was about 10 minutes long. General questions like "why do you want to work here?", "tell me about yourself", "name a time when you showed that you were trustworthy and honest in the workplace", and a few others about customer service and wasting time. It was pretty simple. As long as you dress conservatively, emphasize how important customer service is, and seem trustworthy you'll do fine! They are 100% about the customer so just be sure to keep that in mind. They told me they would call me by wednesday (I had an interview on Monday), but they didn't call until Thursday. They had me come in for a saliva drug test and it was tested right in front of me. Once I passed, they just told me to come in on a certain day to get information about orientation. I got hired to be a front service clerk. Be aware that if you're working in an older store, this means you'll not only be bagging and doing customer carry out, but you'll also be basically a janitor after the store closes. They use the front service clerks for all the heavy cleaning once customers are gone-trash, bathrooms, vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, these weird soap & water machines, using harmful chemicals...sometimes you don't get out up until an hour or so after your shift is scheduled to end. You can only do certain things if you're over 18, so if you're a minor you probably won't have to worry about too much heavy cleaning, plus they enforce minor's schedules strictly because they get fined a lot of money if a minor gets out after they are scheduled to leave. But if you're over 18 they don't care, you could stay there all night as long as you get done what needs to be get done. They don't tell you about all the cleaning until you start training, so just be warned.

Interview Questions
    • If you were asked to clean this room and this was the result after 20 minutes of you cleaning it (the room was still messy), how would that be a waste of time?   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Grocery Clerk Interview

We had to apply on a kiosk and where called in about 2 weeks later. They did a very quick interview in their office. Generally when they call you back you've got the job. Once I had the job we had to watch a bunch of safety videos and take a 6-8 hour course on a Sunday before we got the job.

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Publix in October 2014.

Applied in-store at Job Application Kiosk and multiple locations in the area received my application. Interview was about on-time and It was with the Store Manager. He was very relaxed and personal. It seems like they really want to know about you. 2 days later i received a call with a job offer and a time to come in for a drug test.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel working in customer service with no experience?   View Answer
    no negotiation.