Purdue University Interview Questions

Updated 14 Sep 2014
Updated 14 Sep 2014

2.6

Grader Interview

You can apply online and they will check your transcript and if your grade is stat courses are good they will offer your opportunity to grade any stat course you have taken before or any lower level courses than what you take before

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online for the REU through the NSF website. A few weeks later, I received an email asking to arrange the phone conversation. The program director told me more about the program and answered my questions. I think she decided to take me before the phone call. Then she arranged a call between me and my PIs where we discussed our mutual research interests.

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Lafayette, IN (US)

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Purdue University in September 2014.

Took about 2 weeks from job application (Taleo.net) until HR sent me an email asking me to update something on my application. A week later got a phone call from hiring manager to schedule interview for the following Monday. Interview was panel style with multiple members from the team.

Interview Questions
    • First question was asked to draw a network diagram. Was caught off guard and unprepared.   View Answer
    • Was asked about familiarity with any routing protocols.   View Answer
    • Was asked about troubleshooting steps if a campus user's network connection was not working.   View Answer

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

First, apply online through the Math official website. There will be a 15-page survey for you to fill in. It will take about 20 minutes to finish. We will be asked to provide your basic information, your schedule, your prerequisite courses and a short statement of purpose.

If you make it through this round, there will be a screening session. You will be provided with a textbook and you will be asked to demonstrate how to solve a problem in front of a judging panel.

Oh btw, there are tons of workshop for you to attend.

Interview Questions
    • The judging panel will through you bunch of random questions.   Answer Question

Electronics Technician VIII Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Lafayette, IN (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Purdue University.

The more you have to offer them that they can use and not pay you for the better your odds will be for getting the job. Strong computer skills are almost a must. Job could lead to a programmers position.

Interview Questions
    • They ask the usual questions, above and beyond, difficult situation, standard questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Lafayette, IN (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Purdue University.

English proficiency for international student. Presentation was given during the English course required for people not passing the English proficiency test. The PhD annual review must be at least satisfactory to get the offer. But when the more positions are available than the number of candidates, one can get it without such requirement.

Shipping & Receiving Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Purdue University.

Getting through the initial cut was annoying. For Purdue's automated system, I had to submit a 5 page resume in order to make sure that I had all the keywords.

Grad Student, Teaching Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Purdue University.

Part of acceptance package

there was no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Lafayette, IN (US)

I applied in-person – interviewed at Purdue University.

Interview Questions
    • I had no interview.. just an informal meeting with my advisor... was asked my interests and area of expertise.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Program Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Purdue University in April 2014.

Applied to the job online and was contacted about a month later to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was panel interview (4 people) and no difficult questions were asked. A few days later I was contacted and asked to come in for an in-person interview. I flew in from out of town the night before, and had a full day of interviews (panel and 1:1) and campus tours the next day. A few days later, I was offered the job.

While the people I would have been working for were wonderful and would have been very supportive and collaborative, I felt the job was a "step-down" as far as responsibilities, instead of an advancement. The salary was also significantly lower than other similar roles at other universities.