Ross Stores Interview Questions

Updated 22 Oct 2014
Updated 22 Oct 2014

2.1

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores.

Waiting for your interview takes longer than the actual interview. they ask the usual question. be polite and charming and dont forget to smile. it shows that you are nice. stay full of energy because they look for employees that are since you are working in an fast paced environment being on your feet for several hours at a time.

Interview Questions
    • They give you the typical Interview questions so you shouldn't be worried   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Ross Stores.

The interview was about 30 minutes. They asked a lot of behavioral/situational questions. I got a call about two hours later saying that I had been offered a position. The manager and assistant manager were cool too.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you have dealt with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Ross Stores.

Online Application. 2 months later got a call from store manager, to come in for an interview. It was a group interview. It was me and someone else. With a store manager and another store manger from a different location. There was at least 10 questions asked. We each took turns answering questions. Along with asking the management team questions. Got hired on the spot. Orientation within the next week.

Interview Questions
    • If you could change something about the company, what would it be ?   Answer Question
    Flexible Part-Time hours (minimum 23 hrs.)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores in October 2014.

I had put my application in online and had a call about a month later (When they start hiring for seasonal). I had received a call around eight to come in for an interview within the next two days. Went to the interview and waited in the break room. There was one other person waiting for an interview. I went in when called and met with the manager and assistant manager, they were very kind and friendly. The manager said that they had received over 250 different applications and that maybe 25 were selected to have an interview, so if I got called in I had a good chance. He then went over hours and that I would be hired on seasonal but if I did a good job he would consider hiring on as a regular. He also explained how Ross is a growing industry. For interview questions he did mostly behavioral, there were none about past work experience. The questions were in the form of scenarios. After five of those I was told I was hired and that I just have to wait until my second background check goes through.

Scenario 1: If you have ever been to our store on a Friday or Saturday you know its a bit hectic, we have people flying all over the store taking care of customers, running the cashier, fitting rooms, and stocking. Say you are in this situation and you are dealing with a customer with another customer patiently waiting to be seen to, then you get a call from me on your headset and I say I need to speak with you in the stock room about a project(but its not urgent), right after you get a call from the assistant manager saying that she needs you immediately up at the register because there are a lot of customers who need to be checked out: How would you handle this situation?

Scenario 2: Going off of the first question, you are now up at the register dealing with a very upset customer who is screaming at you because of how long they had to wait. How would you handle this customer?

Scenario 3: Say its a slightly busy day and your helping customers and one of your good-friends just walked in to the store. After finishing with the customer you were helping you walk over and chit-chat for a minute or two with you friend. She then confides to you that she just lost her job and have to go on benefits and that she is behind on a lot of her payments, she also has kids and her husband hasn't been able to find work because of the economy. After talking to her you continue working and later as your friend is about to leave the store you see her steal something. What would you do?

Scenario 4: Say I put you on a project that needed to be done today, not tomorrow but today and I asked if you needed someone to help you, and you said "No I can take care of this". The day goes by and your helping customers and working on your project. Your shift ends at 5 and you have only completed about 30% of your project and realize its 4:45. What would you do?
    (I said somethings and remarked that I would stay longer to ensure the project would get done, and he said but what if you had a night planned out with friends?)

Scenario 5: Going off the previous question but slightly different. What if I put you on a project and I asked if you needed assistance and you said "You know what, yes I would like to have someone help me to ensure it gets done." So I assign a partner to you and you start working away on your project. A couple hours goes by and you notice that your partner has still not come to help you and that she is talking with friends and not really doing anything. You only have a few more hours left to complete the project and you really need there help. What do you do?

Question: Say I just hired you on, do you think within the thirty day period it is okay to call-in sick?
    (Then he put the scenario: What if you had a sore throat and a small migraine?)

They were all easy to answer and my interviewer was friendly.

Make sure that when you go to the interview you are fashion-orientated, be sure to stand out. This is retail after all.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions, you just need to be honest and truthful.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation, they are most likely going to start you at minimum but have a chance to go up.

Retail Associate Interview

I was asked to come in to an office where they asked me questions about my previous job experience. I was also asked about my availability and I was asked to describe myself. It was simple but to the point. The interviewer was friendly and easy to talk to.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied through other source – interviewed at Ross Stores.

I was promoted from an ASM position to a full-time store manager via the college recruit process. The process was quick and relatively easy. Ross is a great company headed for big things.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indian Harbour Beach, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indian Harbour Beach, FL (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores.

I applied online and within a week received a phone call to come in for an interview. The interview did not last long, the manager kept an eye on the time and kept it to 30 minutes. I had read on Glassdoor that if you receive a phone call to come in for an interview that Ross was going to hire you. Start date was contingent on passing a background test.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked just a couple questions: What was my most favorite job and why? What was my least favorite job and why?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation on salary, it is set at minimum wage.

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Ross Stores.

Asked fair questions about retail, clothing store experience, honesty, etc. The store manager and an assistant manager interviewed me quickly. I was super overqualified for this position, so it was no problem to answer a few simple hypothetical situations and questions.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. This was for my 2nd job and I've had over a decade of retail and customer service, yet I wasn't even started at $8 per hour.

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Ross Stores.

Applied online for another store location, but this one called me in for a interview. I went to the interview and the manager was so busy with ringing customers that we had to reschedule. I debated coming back because it was a long drive, but I had worked for Ross before and knew that it was a good company. I came back and was interviewed by two managers, as soon as I said that I had worked for Ross before and which location, they were hooked. I was hired on the spot!...The only downfall in the hiring process is their background checks takes about 2 weeks (that's long!) Also if you want to transfer to a different store you have to be with the company for 6 months, if not you have to apply all over.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing to strenuous. Background experience, what do you like about Ross?   Answer Question
    No negotition

Cash Office and Front End Supervisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Ross Stores.

I applied on line and a week later they called me to go in for my interview . It was fast relaxed and easy . I felt they were not prepared . I answered everything with a big smile . The interview lasted no more than 15 min. next thing I know they said can you start tomorrow .

Interview Questions
    • I don't think they really know what they will ask everyone I felt it was more as it came to them .Its easy .   Answer Question