Ross Stores Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated 8 Oct 2014

1.8

80 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Ross Stores.

The interview was about 30 minutes. They asked a lot of behavioral/situational questions. I got a call about two hours later saying that I had been offered a position. The manager and assistant manager were cool too.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a time when you have dealt with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Ross Stores

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Ross Stores.

Online Application. 2 months later got a call from store manager, to come in for an interview. It was a group interview. It was me and someone else. With a store manager and another store manger from a different location. There was at least 10 questions asked. We each took turns answering questions. Along with asking the management team questions. Got hired on the spot. Orientation within the next week.

Interview Questions
    • If you could change something about the company, what would it be ?   Answer Question
    Flexible Part-Time hours (minimum 23 hrs.)

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores in October 2014.

I had put my application in online and had a call about a month later (When they start hiring for seasonal). I had received a call around eight to come in for an interview within the next two days. Went to the interview and waited in the break room. There was one other person waiting for an interview. I went in when called and met with the manager and assistant manager, they were very kind and friendly. The manager said that they had received over 250 different applications and that maybe 25 were selected to have an interview, so if I got called in I had a good chance. He then went over hours and that I would be hired on seasonal but if I did a good job he would consider hiring on as a regular. He also explained how Ross is a growing industry. For interview questions he did mostly behavioral, there were none about past work experience. The questions were in the form of scenarios. After five of those I was told I was hired and that I just have to wait until my second background check goes through.

Scenario 1: If you have ever been to our store on a Friday or Saturday you know its a bit hectic, we have people flying all over the store taking care of customers, running the cashier, fitting rooms, and stocking. Say you are in this situation and you are dealing with a customer with another customer patiently waiting to be seen to, then you get a call from me on your headset and I say I need to speak with you in the stock room about a project(but its not urgent), right after you get a call from the assistant manager saying that she needs you immediately up at the register because there are a lot of customers who need to be checked out: How would you handle this situation?

Scenario 2: Going off of the first question, you are now up at the register dealing with a very upset customer who is screaming at you because of how long they had to wait. How would you handle this customer?

Scenario 3: Say its a slightly busy day and your helping customers and one of your good-friends just walked in to the store. After finishing with the customer you were helping you walk over and chit-chat for a minute or two with you friend. She then confides to you that she just lost her job and have to go on benefits and that she is behind on a lot of her payments, she also has kids and her husband hasn't been able to find work because of the economy. After talking to her you continue working and later as your friend is about to leave the store you see her steal something. What would you do?

Scenario 4: Say I put you on a project that needed to be done today, not tomorrow but today and I asked if you needed someone to help you, and you said "No I can take care of this". The day goes by and your helping customers and working on your project. Your shift ends at 5 and you have only completed about 30% of your project and realize its 4:45. What would you do?
    (I said somethings and remarked that I would stay longer to ensure the project would get done, and he said but what if you had a night planned out with friends?)

Scenario 5: Going off the previous question but slightly different. What if I put you on a project and I asked if you needed assistance and you said "You know what, yes I would like to have someone help me to ensure it gets done." So I assign a partner to you and you start working away on your project. A couple hours goes by and you notice that your partner has still not come to help you and that she is talking with friends and not really doing anything. You only have a few more hours left to complete the project and you really need there help. What do you do?

Question: Say I just hired you on, do you think within the thirty day period it is okay to call-in sick?
    (Then he put the scenario: What if you had a sore throat and a small migraine?)

They were all easy to answer and my interviewer was friendly.

Make sure that when you go to the interview you are fashion-orientated, be sure to stand out. This is retail after all.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions, you just need to be honest and truthful.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation, they are most likely going to start you at minimum but have a chance to go up.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Ross Stores in September 2014.

I applied online and was called an hour later to set an interview as soon as I could. I made an interview for the next day. I arrived 5 minutes early and they made me wait a total of 50 minutes before they even interviewed me. The manager came out finally seeming a bit dazed and asked me to follow him to his office. His office was very cluttered and unorganized. He seemed really young and inexperienced and pretty much asked me:

1. Why Ross?

2. What make you a good fit?

3. What does a clean and organized environment at work mean to you?
    (ironic as his room was absurdly unorganized)

4. Do you have any past work experience that can help with this job?

and then he began to tell me that they needed people with very open flexibility's (which I had) and offered me the job right away, $9.00/hr non-negotiable part time with a maximum of 25 hours a week. I told him I'd think about it but I knew I wasn't going to take it as I found a better job that was paying me more.

I found a better job that was paying me more.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ross Stores.

I filled out the application and was called for an interview within 24 hours. The interview was held during the day in the manager's office. They wanted to hire me on the spot. However, I was interviewed by 2 different managers who would not have had the time to discuss whether they liked me, whether I was a "good fit," background experience, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a situation where you had to handle a customer issue.   View Answer
    • Why do you want to work for Ross?   Answer Question

I got another job offer that offered better opportunities for me.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Ross Stores.

Had one interview with the store manager and was called back within a few days to start my hiring process. Manager did not seem interested in the process whatsoever. It was more of a chore

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite household chore?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores.

interview was really short, asked my availability and a few work experience questions. For the most part they were really in need of somebody that would learn how to do stock

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bend, OR (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bend, OR (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores in July 2014.

Application process was simple enough. Haven't gone through the hiring process yet. They sent me an email, telling me to full out an assessment. But the link is faulty.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anderson, SC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anderson, SC (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores in June 2014.

I applied online and a week later I was called in for an interview. They lady who I was suppose to interview wasn't there so I met with the Department Supervisor reallllyyyyyy brief. I had my resume with me and all she wanted to know is a little about my previous work history. A week later I was called for some background information and I received a call today saying I start my training next week!

None

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Ross Stores in June 2014.

received a phone call to come into for an interview (after filling out online application a couple days prior); asked about prior work history, asked about schedule availability; interview explained what type of position was available and asked if I was OK with it; was hired on the spot, just have to wait for background check to process

Interview Questions
    no negotiation as this was an hourly wage position, it is minimum wage - acceptable for a first time job