Royal Dutch Shell Interview Questions

Updated 26 Oct 2014

3.5

1) Psychometric Test - Test your mental stabililty
    2) Aptitude Test - Basic graphs and data interpretation questions
    3) Telephonic Interview - They focus on the use of 'I' rather than 'We' and ask questions on the CART structure. Be genuine here and only use real life experiences. Don't fabricate your own stories.
    4) SRD Interview

Process Engineer Interview

2 online rounds, followed by resume shortlisting. If successful in resume shortlisting, called for interview. Interview may be telephonic or face-to-face. If successful in interview, called for the Shell Recruitment Day(SRD). The SRD comprises of various rounds like an e-tray exercise, a group discussion. This is followed by a self reflection interview. This is followed by a case study round and finally a competency based interview. This interview is similar to the previous interview taken.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me an example where you had to work with someone to achieve a common goal?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Online assessments were there. after completing them, i was invited for a telephonic interview and then i was invited for SRD. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in December 2013.

The recruitment process of Shell in India is a lengthy one. It starts with a online psychometric test which is an elimination round. You need to clear this test in order to get through to the next round. Once you clear this round, you appear for a Decision-making test where you are given situations and you need to select the most appropriate response according to you. This is followed by a simple Aptitude test.

Once you are done with it, you are assessed one the basis of scores on these tests, your resume/CV and the motivation to join the company. The shortlist or call for interviews come out in 3-4 days.

Since it was a campus recruitment, the initial procedure might vary a little. Once you are shortlisted for an interview, there are 3 more rounds.

1. Online case study - You are given a case related to a project that Shell is working on (hypothetically) and they face a lot of dilemmas and problems and as a Manager your duty is to solve them. The data given is too much and once needs to be read very quickly, in order to succeed.

2. Behavioral Interview - This interview is one of the most important steps in the selection procedure since it tries to see if you are a good fit for the company or not. Just like a typical interview, you are asked to cite examples from your life describing different problems or challenges.

3. Case Study Interview - You are again a given case which is related to the first round but here you need to understand the case and give a short presentation to the interviewers which is followed by a QnA round.

Interview Questions
    • Cite an example or a situation where you have built relationships?   Answer Question
    It was a campus recruitment and hence there was no scope of negotiation.

Computational Sciences PhD Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in October 2013.

The whole process can be divided into two parts Online tests and Offline interview. Online tests comprised of a HR round and a Aptitude round. Offline interview process had case study, personal interview and Group discussion. Just we need to show that we can keep up with their company culture.

Interview Questions
    • Case study. We need to pick between the choices given to us.   View Answer

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in October 2013.

2 Online tests to judge your personality. A bit of quantitative analysis too. Beahvioural interview followed. Shortlisted candidates attend shell recruitment day at Shell, Bangalore. Aftr a series of evaluative tests, some are hired.

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in June 2013.

I've been interviewed initially by their HR team, it was a general discussion, while there main focus was to understand on my keenness to join as the position was based out of Chennai. Main questions the HR asked:
    - Why are you looking for a change, I've spent 7 years with my existing co. so wasn't really difficult for me to explain and convince the HR on the MOVE
    - Will you be able to adjust and relocate to Chennai
    - Salary expectation
    Later I was interviewed by their Sr. Manager, who asked questions mainly related to the work I was doing, probed me on certain finance principles while I was taking thru my profile (was very easy for me being an FP&A domain expert), he stayed very strict or I must say professional during our entire almost 50 mins. discussion and while concluding the interview he said to me that he was very happy with the entire discussion and they were looking exactly for a person like me, I understood that Job was mine :-)
    Next morning got a call from their HR again, who stated they'd like me to come over to Chennai and meet with their Leadership team, the stated they'll come back to me with the details, it took almost 3 days and more than 30-40 calls to finally set a date for me to come and meet them, while I was very much flexible with all the dates they provided me however the final date and time they gave me did not offer me with an option of flight where I could reach Chennai (from Jaipur) and return same day.
    I discussed with their HR and explained the scenario, he listened thru my concern and asked me if I would be ready to stay in a hotel (now this was going to make my travel for 3 days instead of an earlier 1 day travel). I agreed with a condition where I would like them to reimburse my hotel expenses, where HR explained to me that their current policy doesn't allow him to offer this right away and he'll have to arrange for a special approval and get back to me on this and since then I sent him couple of mails/sms/phone calls and didn't hear back :-(

and today I am being interviewed for a better position in a different co. (Fortune Global100)

"someone's loss is someone's gain"

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Guwahati
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Guwahati

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Shell intern was through campus applied online, and had to do 2 online assessments, 1st about self behavior and 2nd about some cases and the decision you would take and in second a timed 16 questions based on graphs and values were asked. Still waiting for the interview call...

Interview Questions
    • the timed graph and table data based questions   View Answer

Leadership Program Interview

One case study followed by interview on case only, then a group activity was conducted on the basis of one case, which includes a group discussion. The in third round they gave certain scenario related to different functions and u have to present the problem of the case given. A interview will also be conducted on the same case. They may change their process from this year

CS75 PhD Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in November 2012.

The initial round was shortlisting from 5000+ resumes all over India. I was lucky enough to be shortlisted to the interview. This was followed by a 1:1 tech interview and finally a case study

Interview Questions
    • In the case study, there was a question about a acquisition of another company, the question was, say you are the CEO of the plant, if the acquisition happens,if the acquisition does not happen, what will you do about the plant? will you shut it down because of its problems, or will you try to revive it....if you decide to revive it, how would you do it?

I found this one tough because as per the case study, the plant had hell lot of problems.
        View Answers (3)