Sherwin-Williams

Getting the Interview

12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams.

Interview Details phone interview that is one hour with recruiter
than one hour interview in person at heaf office

Interview Question – Explain a time you had a difficult customer and how you turned the situation ino a psitive outcome   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was no negotiatin for the entry level

San Diego, CA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams in June 2013.

Interview Details I had two phone interviews in which the interviewer asked very typical questions for that scenario

Interview Question – Give one instance of something going wrong in work and what you did to turn it around.   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager

Interview Details applied online, contacted by recruiter, set up phone interview. all behavior type questions related to customer service. set up a store visit with local store. super laid back and informative. lasted an hour. they send you a list of questions to ask and you go right down the list. email recruiter thanking him. then you will have another phone call with him, asking if your still interested. next, you set up interview with district manager, formal-suit, last an hour and more behavior questions, more in depth questins about yourself to see if youd be a good fit. email recruiter again thanking him and keeping him updated after every step. Offer the next day for 41,000. you start making salary the first day you start working even when youre training.

Interview Question – strenghts, weaknesses, overcame adversity with customer, excel at customer service, sales experience, sell boss on something, worked with non-cooperative, respond to angry customer, tunred negative into positive   Answer Question

Burlington, VT (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams in May 2010.

Interview Details Interview process was very laid back and relaxing. Interviewer asked basic behavioral questions. There were two rounds, first a phone a screening with corporate HR and then face-to-face with district manger in the hiring area.

Interview Question – The questions weren't difficult for me since our college trained well in interviewing.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiations happened over the phone. The hiring manager did come up some in salary.

Milwaukee, WI (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams in July 2013.

Interview Details I was contacted by human resources and asked to apply for a position. A phone interview was set-up and it went well. After that, a store visit (second interview) was scheduled and went well. I e-mailed the human resources representative that I was very interested and she responded that she forwarded my information to the managers and should hear back for an interview with them. Two weeks went by and I never heard back. I e-mailed the human resources representative to request feedback and have never heard back. No response. Very unprofessional.

Interview Question – Questions are quite typical. What are your future goals? What are your ideal positions (1st, 2nd, 3rd)?   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams in August 2009.

Interview Details Pretty structured, first interview with HR over the phone, then in person, and finally with the store manager or regional director. Overall rather standard, there was no panel-type interview involved. There were some odd questions that didn't have much to do about the position or company, which i assume was to get a better perspective as to who you are as a person, but they definitely felt forced. Overall, though, a pretty straight forward process.

Interview Question – What impression would someone have of you in the first 5 minutes of speaking with them?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not the right fit

Very Easy Interview

Assistant Store Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams in November 2010.

Interview Details The recruiter calls and does a phone screening interview, if they find you to be a good fit they call you in for a 1:1. After that if they think you are good fit they send you to a "store visit" where you go the nearest Sherwin-Williams store to see what the job is really like. Once you have done the store visit you report to the recruiter which then schedules a meeting with the district manager/city manager. You meet with him and it all goes from there, he decides whether or not you'll be hired.

Interview Question – Why do you think you are a good fit for this position?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – there is no negotiation

Dallas, TX (US)

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams in May 2009.

Interview Details Interview and hiring process was relatively easy for the Management Training Program. Had a 1 on 1 interview with the corporate recruiter. Was encouraged to visit a local store to understand the business and ask questions. After that an interview with the District Manager. Offer was given within 1 week of final interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to deal with confrontation with a customer and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations for entry level position.

Assistant Store Manager

The process took a day - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams in April 2011.

Interview Details Met the recruiter at a local job fair. Called in for an interview the following week. Interview began with discussion about the work experience listed on my resume. Questions: Why are you making the transition from your current profession into paint? Why did you choose your college major? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Are you willing to re-locate anywhere within the region (approx.150 mile radius)? What motivates you in the morning to get out of bed? What do you enjoy doing outside of work? Fairly standard interview. He seemed to indicate his belief in a policy requiring 100% unquestionable loyalty to the company. He highlighted this by explaining he had moved 3x in the last 10 years. He also explained that I would not be placed in a store until after completing the training program. When I pressed him on what areas he needed to fill, he seemed annoyed and reiterated the concept that you will be asked to accept an offer before knowing all the details of the job location. For an individual with a home and/or family this might be very difficult to buy into for 30k a year selling paint. I was told if they were interested I would be called for a store visit, but never heard back from them.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   View Answer

Trussville, AL (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams in November 2010.

Interview Details Initial Communication started when I wrote a thank you letter, thanking the recruiter for her time she spent with me at the Career fair. She then emailed me back and said to apply online and after I apply to email her back. Then she asked me to set up a phone interview. She asked the questions "Tell me about a time where you took initivate" and Tell me about a time that a teammate wasn't pulling his/her weight and what you did to fix it. Then after the phone interview she emailed me and we made arrangments to go on a storevisit in Trussvile near Birmingham area. They emailed me a packet before hand with questions that they wanted me to get answered while I was on my store visit.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you showed initive?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when a teammemeber wasn't pulling his/her weight and what you did about it.   Answer Question
Interviews for Top Jobs at Sherwin-Williams

Worked for Sherwin-Williams? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sherwin-Williams Assistant Store Manager interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by Sherwin-Williams employees and interview candidates.