Sherwin-Williams

Average Difficulty
276 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Management Training Program (MTP)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams.

Interview Details I was contacted by a recruiter about their Management Trainee Program. First interview was with an HR rep where I was asked the basic first interview questions. Second step was an in-store visit to two stores in my area where they provided me a list of questions to ask both the Manager and the Assistant Manager to get a feel for what they do. Third step was an interview in person with the District Manager. There were questions asking what I thought I could bring to the company, how I have handled a difficult situation with the "co-worker" of some sort, and what are your future goals.

Great company, awesome pay and the best people co-workers but be ready to pick up your life to move where they want you. Also you will most likely work every weekend as an Assistant Manager.

Interview Question – I had done a lot of research on interviewing so there was no question that was particularly difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't one.

Full Time Sales Associate Interview

Full Time Sales Associate

I applied through another source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams.

Interview Details The interview processes that I have been involved in have been fairly casual and straight forward. It always looks good to dress professionally. You will usually do one o two interviews, one with the store manager, and if they consider you, one with the DM. It also looks good if you show interest in continuing your career with Sherwin-Williams, or if you are a woman or a minority. Because SW is mostly white males, they are eager to hire women and minorities who are interested in the field.

Interview Question – What are your biggest strengths/ weaknesses in regards to working in the store?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

Interviewed at Sherwin-Williams

Interview Details Making sure the individual is comfortable as possible, by doing so it can help them answer questions and get a better understanding of the job. Also making sure the candidate is professional and presentable.

Interview Question – Why are you more of an asset than a liability?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

Interviewed at Sherwin-Williams

Interview Details Posted to an internal job posting, which was followed by a call to inform me I would be interviewed by the hiring manager. The interview took about a hour to a hour and half upon which I was informed I would be notified shortly of his/her decision. I was offered the position within a couple of days with my asking salary and I accepted

Negotiation Details – n/a

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams.

Interview Details Very straight-forward and friendly process! Three interviews: 1.) phone interview w/ recruiter 2.) Store interview with store manager and assistant manager 3.) Face-to-face interview with City Manager and District Manager

The phone interview was about 30 minutes, questions were STAR format that had a lot to do with customer-service. Just prepare several "stories" about how you've done well in a sales/customer-service/management environment and be able to tell them in a way that makes you seem warm and professional. Recruiter also emphasizes whether you're open to relocation - so be open with them about your expectations.

The store interview is when you go in an learn more about the position. They go over the different responsibilities, from warehouse safety, sales, operations, and inventory management. Recruiter will email a worksheet with questions to ask the Store Manager - mostly about the different responsibilities and expectations. From my experience, the Store Manager didn't ask me anything about my past work-experience (they were busy!). I felt he was mostly gauging my interest in the job and whether it would be something I would want to do.

Final interview is at the District Office with the City Manager and District Manager. They went through my resume and asked me about my work experience. They also spent a good amount of time going over the opportunities and culture. They didn't ask any STAR questions (I was kinda bummed, I had prepared a lot!), but they mostly were gauging my personality and whether it would be a fit.

From my experience, everyone was overwhelmingly friendly. You can tell this is a good company to work for.

Interview Question – Name an instance when you've turned a negative customer-service experience into a good one.

Name a time when you've been part of a group where someone wasn't pulling their weight and what you did about it.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Set salary

Senior Web Developer Interview

Senior Web Developer
Cleveland, OH (US)

I interviewed at Sherwin-Williams in January 2014.

Interview Details I applied online using their web based system. It did not work very well and I did not hear from them for at least three weeks. I had a brief phone interview and seemed as if I was unqualified.

Interview Question – There were some technical questions I was unable to answer.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams.

Interview Details I first met with the manager of the store. After a few questions and some time "getting to know" each other, I was told I would be meeting with the district manager. The interview with the district manager was just as simple. A few questions about my experience (the typical..."Do you have any customer service experience?", "Have you handled cash before?".

Interview Question – There were not any difficult or unexpected questions. Everything was straight forward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate.

STM - Assistant Manager Interview

STM - Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams.

Interview Details This is a company where there is a lack of diversity. If you are a minority, you will get interviewed. But good luck with the interview process. This isn't a company that values diversity and it isn't a global company. To be honest, being a minority and working for this company would have been nothing but disappointments. Literally playing the role of Rosa Parks in a company like this isn't a battle worth taking on top of daily work stress. Politics would be a challenge you can't take on.

Warner Robins, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams in May 2014.

Interview Details The interviewing process was as easy as can be. There is a 3 step process. The first step is the phone interview there is a recruiter who calls you and the call is about 30-45 minutes. After the phone interview, the recruiter will set you up for the second step which is the in-store interview. The in-store interview is usually about an hour to two hours long. I was told the store that I would be visiting and given the number to call the store manager to set up a time and date that was convenient for the both of us. I also asked what he recommended I wear which he told me khakis and collar shirt would be fine. It includes a tour of the store and a interview with the store manager and the assistant manager. Before you arrive, the recruiter will send you a questionnaire to print out and take with you for the in-store interview and it basically has questions that you should ask which gives you further details about the store and the business. The store manager asks his/her questions then you turn around and ask the questions listed on the sheet. Same goes for the assistant manager. If you make it to the 3rd step, you will be contacted by the District Manager to set up the final interview. Be sure to dress your best because this will be more of a professional interview than the first two were. After speaking with the District Manager you will then be contacted by the recruiter later in the week to offer or not offer you the job.

Interview Question – The questions weren't so bad. The phone and the District Manager interview asked similar questions such as "Why do you want to work for the Sherwin- Williams Company?, What is good customer service? How would you handle an angry customer? "Based on the store visit, what would you change about the store?" Are you willing to relocate?" I realized that Glassdoor was the best source to prepare for the job interview with this company.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was hired by the District Manager and was offered the job where I gladly accepted. The recruiter sent the offer letter to my email address and I had a couple of days to accept or decline. The offer letter consist of the store location as well as the benefits and salary.

Management Training Program (MTP)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams.

Interview Details Communications were very straight forward and detailed. Questions are sales based, experience based and make sure to ask what the every day processes are like. The managers are very friendly and want to get to know you, but I wish the store visit I was able to interact with the other employees and get their insight.

Interview Question – What do you hope to gain from this position?   Answer Question

Worked for Sherwin-Williams? Contribute to the Community!