Six Flags Ride Operator Interview Questions

Updated 22 Oct 2014

1.7

28 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Ride Operator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Six Flags.

Hiring is simple fill out an app online pass your questionare and you get your interview within 3 days interview was easy got asked three questions then I was hired on the spot

Other Interview Reviews for Six Flags

Ride Operator Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Six Flags.

very few people are not hired. if your a decent person and dont have something outstanding then you will be hired for the basic positions. they went very fast and there was no personal thing in it. it was like moving a heard of cows though the slaughter house. This place hires lots of people due to so many quitting.

Interview Questions
    • Would you pass a drug test if taken today.   View Answer
    there was no negotiation you get what you get and that's the end of it.

Rides Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austell, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austell, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Six Flags in June 2014.

I filled out and application and within a week they emailed me to let know when my interview was. The day of the interview I went in and signed in with the lady up front and waited to be called and depending on what job you apply for you might have to take a math test. After you turn in your test they grade it then you wait to be called up for an interview, it is a group interview so in mine it was me and 5 other people. When you get in the interview first you play a game a jenga to see how you work with others, after you finish the game you go around and answer the questions. After the questions are finished your interviewer may call some people out of the room and these are the people that did not make it and after that he will come back in and tell you what job he wants you at and is that ok with you.

Interview Questions
    • What made you want to work at six flags   View Answer

Ride Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Six Flags in June 2014.

It was incredibly difficult to get a hold of anyone I could talk to about getting an interview. After I got through the interview I had yet more issues trying to find out when I needed to take my Discovery Classes. After I took my Discovery Classes I had more issues trying to get information as to when I was going to be trained and when my first official day of work was going to be and whether or not the two were going to coincide.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions for me were the "Situation" questions. 'Say ___ were to happen. What would you do in said situation?' The reason being that I had no prior job experience so I wasn't sure what exactly the correct answer was or what I would have done in ___ situation.   Answer Question

Ride Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Six Flags in June 2014.

Applied for the "Entertainment Tech" position online, and was told to call and schedule an interview. I called and scheduled for the next week. I received an email reminding me of my appointment, instructing me to dress professionally and come early. It also provided a description of the first interview, which it described as a "15-25 minute interview to determine if you meet the minimum requirements to be considered for employment."

When I arrived (20 minutes early), I was bombarded with paperwork, of which I had been given no notice. Furthermore, almost all of the information that I was asked to fill out, I had already filled out in my online application. What I had not been notified of in my online application was that there was an age requirement of 18 for my desired position. Not only did the online job listing not note this anywhere, but the online application system did not restrict me from applying. Because I had already driven 45 minutes out, I decided to apply for ride operations, instead. Regardless of any of that, the staff was friendly and helpful, double-checking my paperwork for common mistakes and helping me to correct them.

After my paperwork was completed and submitted, I was asked to take a 10-question math test (on which no calculators or cell phones are permitted; however, you may use the back of the test for scratch paper). All 10 of the questions were word problems, and they all related to transactions within the park ("If Fred buys 3 tries of a game at $2 each, and he pays with a $50, what is his change?"). The test was very simple, and I correctly answered all 10 questions.

After the math test, I was sent back to the waiting room to wait for an interviewer. I waited maybe 5-10 minutes. When my interviewer was ready (accompanied by an HR representative in training), we went back to the interview room and I was asked a series of simple questions. These included questions verifying that I met the minimum criteria ("Will you be willing to adhere to the grooming policy?"), questions about my interest in the position ("How did you hear about us?"), and situational questions ("If a customer becomes verbally upset, what should you do?"). My interviewer was very kind, friendly, and conversational, and when I answered the situational questions she would not in agreement and add on to what I had just said, and giving me more advice for handling the situation. She asked if I had any more questions, and I asked about ride operations (specifically, training and assignment). She deferred to the HR trainee (who was transferring from ride ops), who kindly walked through the process with me. My interviewer told me that there "was no reason why [I couldn't] move on to the next interview", so she gave me some more paperwork and asked me to fill it out in the waiting room while I waited for my ride ops interviewer.

The set of paperwork that I filled out was specific to ride operations. It included some information that I had already filled out 3 times, but it also included more specific ride operations questions, such as asking if I had any aversion to height, water, etc.

I waited probably 15 minutes after completing the paperwork for my ride operations interviewer, who was a very friendly and likeable person. He asked me about my interest in working at Six Flags, which brought up my theatrical interests. It turns out that he also shared an interest in theatre, and we chatted for a second or two about shows (I did one in high school last year that he directed in college). He was very friendly, and even told me a little bit about the Chart Toppers 2.0 show at Six Flags, which I had mentioned earlier in my interview. His questions that he asked were tailored more specifically to ride operations, and they were almost all situational. Many of them related to dealing with guests in abnormal situations (such as a ride closure or failure), but they were all simple questions that any level-headed person could answer. At the end, he asked "What makes you better than the next guy that I'm going to interview?". I re-hashed my interest in entertainment, which, I said, would give me a natural investment advantage over other applicants. He then handed me a few brochures regarding company uniform purchases, training, etc., and asked me to wait in the waiting room.

I went to the waiting room and waited for 15 minutes or so, until an HR representative came in, congratulated me on the job, and handed me a large informational packet to take home, fill out, and return.

All-in-all, my interviewers (and the other HR staff) were friendly and understanding, and weren't pressuring. The style of dress varied greatly from applicant to applicant, with one wearing a dress shirt and dress pants with a tie and others wearing basketball shorts and a t-shirt.

If you're confident, well-reasoned, well-prepared, and face no restrictions to entry (such as certain criminal history), you can expect a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • "Suppose you went in to the restroom at this On The Border across the street, or any other restaurant. What would you expect to see? Aside from cleanliness--we all kind of expect the restrooms to be clean--just what would you expect to see?"   View Answer
    • "What makes you better than the next guy that I'm going to interview?"   View Answer

Ride Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eureka, MO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eureka, MO (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Six Flags in April 2014.

The interview was a group interview, sort of; they rounded up a bunch of people and then after everyone filled out the paperwork (including a mental math test) they called you up individually. There were a lot of younger kids there in jeans/inappropriate clothes, and while they didn't get turned away, they were frowned upon. The interviewer asked basic questions, "why Six Flags?", "have you ever done anything criminal?", asking about your hardships and learning experiences. It was a pretty basic interview and the interview went pretty quickly.

Interview Questions
    • Have you seen anyone do anything against the law and how did you act?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Ride Operator Interview

They interview process was short and they only ask you a handful of questions about your personality. Job experience is not needed. You can basically walk into any six flags and get hired almost immediately on the spot. Go in there with a reasonably positive attitude and willingness to answer a bunch of repetitive questions and you'll be fine.

Interview Questions
    • What made you want to apply to Six Flags and what relevant experience do you have?   Answer Question

Ride Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Six Flags in February 2014.

It was a job fair, me and my friend went together. When we first got there it was a few other people there and i thought we were gonna be done in a breeze. We went to the front desk and got this clipboard and paper with a few simple questions and a few very hard math questions.. or at least they were hard to me. Anyway my friend helped me with the questions haha even thogh we weren't supposed to. We turned the paper in and they had us go into this small room and wait to be called. My friend got called first and i was so nervous with this being my very first interview ever. So then i got called after her and was taken into this giant room with almost 20-30 other kids my age and a few adults sitting getting interviewed or waiting for an interviewer. Finally my first interviewer came in and he was acting like he really did't wanna be there. He didn't even try to shake my hand. So he asked me a few simple questions. Very easy but he had no soul whatsoever. Then he left and i had a second interviewer named Patrick and he was really nice. He complimented my on my attire and tie and i gave him a compliment back. and he went on to ask me some of the same questions from the first interview plus a few new ones. which were very simple. at the end he said they would call and let me know if i got the job or not. when he said that i knew i didnt get the job. I got a pink post card type letter in the mail 2 weeks later saying i didnt get the job. but my friend got hired on the spot..

Ride Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valencia, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valencia, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Six Flags in July 2013.

I applied online and was scheduled for an interview a short period after. I arrived in business casual with all of my paperwork in order (make sure you have everything with you). I was a minor at the time so I brought my parent since they HAVE to be present to fill out paperwork for you as well. I waited in the HR office after checking in at the front desk. There were other people in there doing interviews or waiting on interviews. I was asked to fill out a bit of information. After completing that, i gave it to the front desk who asked me to wait again for a bit. Finally, I was called up and the lady politely greeted me. We went to a private interview space where she asked me very very simple questions about myself and how I am as a person. She was very nice.
    Questions like: Do you like working alone or with people? How would you ask a neighbor to visit Six Flags? etc
    None of the questions caught me off guard. She appreciated all my responses.
    After completely the interview, she said I did a wonderful job but that no positions were available at the time but that she would keep me on file. I left very sad but continued to call back each week for two weeks to ask if anything was opening up. I gave up the third week as I realized there was no way I'd get the job but suddenly I got a call that next morning saying a position opened up and they wanted me to come in that afternoon to fill out the hiring paperwork (tax forms, etc). I was so happy!
    I came in and filled out all the paperwork with my parent (they are allowed to help you). I gave the packet back to the front desk and a very very sweet lady took me back into the same interview space to go over my packet. She had me sign a lot of forms and explained Six Flags policies, etc. She had my Dad even sign some things. After all that (which was very easy and very relaxed), she gave me a paper for my training/orientation days.
    Don't worry about training/orientation days! They are the easiest parts of the process since you already have the job. You get to learn about the specifics, you get to meet all your coworkers and supervisors. It's very fun and relaxed!

Interview Questions
    No. It's minimum wage no matter what.

Ride Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Six Flags in May 2013.

Applied online, got called 3 days later (missed the call, but they left a voice mail), didn't call back. Got another call and scheduled an interview, told me to dress buisness casual (if you don't they won't hire you or they will reschedule you). When you walk in to HR you go to the front desk, an they will ask you to do a six flags standardize math questioniare which is extremely easy. After that you they ask you to sit down and wait till you get called. When you get called they will lead you too a cubicle and ask you if the info you put on the online application is correct. They will go thru some policies and you sign and intial papers. They will ask why you picked six flags, and some other questions that are situation based such as an angry customers or guest or how you would convince a neighbor to go to six flags. After that she told me I passed my first interview. She handed me a processing packet that had the parks policies and tax forms and medical forms to fill out and a background check release form. Fill that out and handed it to front desk, and then you sit and wait again. You get called and they start goinh over the park policies on hair and other stuff. You intial and sign a few papers, and then they measure you for your uniform. They will make a photocopy of your drivers licence (in my case) and look at your social too see if its legit. After that they will tell you that you are hired and will call back to schedule for discovery training after your background check is cleared.

None, you get payed $8.00 in California