SoftLayer Interview Questions & Reviews

16 interviews

2.1

Customer Support Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at SoftLayer in August 2011.

I applied online and within 3 months I got a call for a Phone Interview. About 3 weeks later I was given an in person interview and skills test where i was asked various questions about linux and what types of commands were used/what they were for and received and offer the same day within about 2 hours after leaving.

Interview Questions
    • None, they were all pretty standard for the position I was applying for.   Answer Question
    The offer was non negotiable and due within 24 hours.

Server Build Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at SoftLayer in September 2011.

Got my call back for an interview about 6 months after applying completely out of the blue. Just one 20 minute interview with the Site Manager at the time. Very laid back interview, he was more interested in talking about my computer and gaming hobbies than anything related to the work or my technical background. It was in and out, and pretty unlike any interview I have done. Didn't hear a thing from them for about a month then again out of the blue got a call with the job offer.

Interview Questions
    • The only real unexpected part of the interview was that in his opinion I was over dressed for the interview. Was sort of bizarre...   Answer Question
    I was told there was absolutely no negotiations, the offer was take it over leave it.

Storage Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at SoftLayer.

I was approached by the HR recruiter for a position from this company in Linkedin. Then there was a phone interview and an in-person interview. They seemed very friendly and exhibited very cool personality and work culture seemed very laid back. This is a very promising company that was purchased by IBM in 2013. The interview was fairly technical and they seems to be interested in recruiting technically strong candidates.

Interview Questions
    • How to troubleshoot NFS related issue ?   View Answer
    This was the only concern I have. They are offering 15000 less than the average market salary. I was hoping they would give a nice pay as they are NOW AN IBM COMPANY. But I did not negotiate as this is in Ideal location for me right next to my home and Dallas cost of living is considerably low and the job profile is very very interesting.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at SoftLayer in March 2013.

Basic phone screen for interns - overviewed data structures, object oriented programming. No coding required.

Abuse Analyst Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at SoftLayer.

None. They took me off the streets with no prior experience in this field.

Interview Questions
    • None. The interview was mere formalities given my prior experience and intelligence.   Answer Question

Customer Support Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at SoftLayer.

This was a short panel interview with a manager for the department and a team manager. Questions focused on technical knowledge and soft skills for managing interactions with customers.

Server Build Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at SoftLayer in August 2011.

I received an email from the site manager while I was still working at another job. After calling him and talking a little bit on the phone we realized that there would be no increase in my pay by coming to SoftLayer, but the location and benefits, as well as the type of work I would be exposed to were enough to make it worth my while. I came in for an interview and was impressed with the layout of the office and the datacenter as well as the relaxed mentality and attitudes of the employees. The interview went well and only took about thirty minutes. I emailed him later to thank him for the interview and he got back to me about two weeks later with a date he wanted me to report to HR.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me everything you know about computers"   View Answer
    starting pay for this position is non-negotiable but once you get in and prove yourself your yearly review is where you can re-negotiate

Cst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at SoftLayer.

Three managers will interview you and ask you different questions regarding hosting. The interview is fairly short and to the point. They need bodies in the call center to support their terrible service.

Interview Questions
    They going to pay you what they want to pay you, no negotiation

Data Center Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at SoftLayer in October 2009.

I seriously laughed. It was two guys sitting you down in a room questioning you about the simplest technical questions. They try to intermediate you, I started laughing halfway through. I guess I'm just not used to Texas and how things are done there.

No negotiation allowed, I took my $12/hr since I was broke.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at SoftLayer in January 2012.

Got a call through oncampus career fair. Went to onsite for the interview. 3 people started interviewing me about my projects on resume and experience and my work on Webservices in PHP.

Interview Questions

Worked for SoftLayer? Contribute to the Community!