Southwest Airlines

Relevance Date Difficulty

NoLimits Internship Interview

NoLimits Internship
Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in February 2014.

Interview Details The online application opens up for about a month six months before the internship semester begins. Following the online application, you will be notified regardless of whether you move or not. If chosen to move on, a recruiting coordinator or someone similar will contact you for a phone interview with the recruiter hiring for the position. It lasts about 20 minutes and he/she asks basic interview and follow up questions on your resume. Following the phone interview, you will be notified if you move on for an in-person interview at HQ. Again, pretty basic question and follows an unstructured format. They go down your resume and asks you to expand on your experience and duties and ask probing questions to get a better understanding of how you work, how you like to be managed, and to try to gauge the breadth of your knowledge.

Since the initial contact from the recruiting coordinator, the whole process took 2.5 weeks. However, be patient because they receive literally thousands of applications! I submitted my application in November and did not hear back until February.

Interview Question – I was asked why I chose my major (they want to see your Warrior Spirit!) and what classes were my favorite and most difficult. Lastly, and they also ask this during the phone interview, is why you chose Southwest Airlines.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not open to negotiation.

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer
Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through another source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2010.

Interview Details A thorough interview process with three people. However, it took them weeks to make an offer.

Negotiation Details – None

Bwi Airport, MD (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied online for the position soon as I seen it on their website because they don't keep their jobs posted for long. I received a email about three days later asking if i was still interested in the position, I replied but didn't hear anything back for another two weeks. I got a email asking to set up a phone interview which I did. The phone interview was about 8 mins long, she first asked me about my past jobs just to find out they time of work i did there. Then she explained the position to me and the pay rate which is only $11 something to start and she said it will take about 11 years to reach $21. I wasn't to happy to hear that but she then went on to explain that when you first start you have no set schedule you will just get the days thats left after the senior employs pick their schedule. They do have a lot of overtime for this position. About a week later i got a email asking to set up a F2F interview which I did. It was just me and the lady that I have been communicating with, she said that they was short staff and thats why because its normally her and two others giving the F2F interview. The F2F went well we just talked about my past jobs and she asked me three questions. They were very easy questions like how do you have fun on the job, how do you go out your way for a customer and how do you deal with a angry customer. Im waiting to hear back to see if I will be moving on with the hiring process which is a background check for jobs, school and criminal.

Interview Question – Non of the questions was difficult just make sure you smile and be bubbly because thats what they are looking for.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Southwest Airlines

Interview Details they let unexperienced supervisors do the interviews

Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in July 2011.

Interview Details The interview process was pretty straight forward. Filled out an online application, and received a call from an internal recruiter for a phone screening which lasted about 10 minutes. The interviewer asked standard questions about my work background and explained the basics of the job requirements. While still on the phone with me she asked me if I would be available for an in-person interview the following week.

The in person interview was with the station manager and two recruiters. They all asked standard questions about my background and work experience. They asked for lots of stories and examples of previous times you've solved a problem creatively, or dealt with an unhappy customer.

I think the most important thing to remember when interviewing for this position is to make sure you show your outgoing and fun personality. I know that interviewers disqualify people based on this. The culture at SWA is very important to the company, so make sure you prepare some fun/funny stories to impress on that end.

After the panel interview I went a couple weeks without hearing back, but was finally asked to fly to Dallas to be fingerprinted and have a drug screen at a local screening place.

Interview Question – Standard interview with no difficult questions, just be prepared with stories of past customer service experiences and be a bit bubbly.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Union position, so you are on a standard pay scale. To start was $11.50 if I remember right.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview Details Sent in application and then got an email form a recruiter asking for available time for an interview and a copy of my resume. During the phone interview I had asked the interview to repeat two questions because i could not hear or understand the interviewer. For one of the questions, the interviewer said in a very quiet voice, "Oh, maybe you don't know that yet." and that one one of the questions I could not hear the interviewer at all. The interviewer quickly went to the next question after saying that. I felt that i did not go to the next phase because of that question.

Interview Question – (could not hear or understand the question)   View Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

Flight Attendant
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through another source and the process took a day - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in February 2014.

Interview Details LA feb 2014 open house interview. 400 people showed up for open house. you had to go in front of 50 people and introduce yourself and say why you want to be FA. you have to appear very confident and happy and smile a lot. maybe 10 people got invited to F2F interview. Including the ones that crack the most jokes.

Interview Question – no difficult questions   Answer Question

Maintenance Material Management Intern Interview

Maintenance Material Management Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2013.

Interview Details Contacted after about 2 months and scheduled for a phone interview. Phone interview was very basic, asking about yourself. After that, they will fly you to Dallas for another interview. I had interview with two people and they are asking about myself. It was a very chill interview and people in Southwest are very friendly.

Interview Question – Asking about projects I have worked on, experience, knowledge about the software used for the job   Answer Question

Revenue Management Analyst Interview

Revenue Management Analyst

Interviewed at Southwest Airlines

Interview Details Phone Screening interview with Recruiter then a group interview with 30+ candidates where you are asked typical interview questions. Then the group was tasked with various group challenges which measured a person's ability to interact with others. This was followed by an individual interview with 2 managers and 1 Recruiter. Final step was a group interview with a number at director level.

Interview Question – We want to enter a new market. How would you determine the appropriate fare structure for this market?   Answer Question

Flight Operations Crew Scheduler Interview

Flight Operations Crew Scheduler
Dallas, TX (US)

Interview Details I applied online, contacted by a recruiter 1 - 2 weeks later to set up a phone interview.
Phone screening consisted of the recruiter outlining the position, me talking through my resume, and some casual conversation. Very relaxed, just be personable and know the position, your resume, and Southwest inside and out.
I was also contacted for the In-Flight Crew Scheduler opening. The phone interview was a similar format, but the second was much more personality driven - the recruiter had lots of energy and was obviously looking to tap into your personality as part of the screening. (I was not contacted to interview in-person for this position, I believe due to the forthcoming offer for the other opening)
I was contacted for an in-person interview for the Flight Ops Crew Scheduler position. They were flexible, I had to reschedule once due to my work schedule. I interviewed with the phone screening HR interviewer and the hiring manager. Similar format to the phone screening: walk me through your resume, what do you know about the position, why Southwest-type of questions. Also mixed in were some 'tell me about a time when...' questions, basically seeing how you would react in challenging situations related to the job. I must have interviewed with the same folks as the interviewee in the previous post, as the hiring manager was obviously very tired (eyes glazed, head-bob, just struggling), but knowing their schedule I gave him the benefit of the doubt and continued talking, focusing on the HR manager.
They gave me the opportunity to ask a few questions about the position (highly recommend good, thought-out questions, they seemed to appreciate the opportunity to talk more about the opening and company), which was engaging and also brought the hiring manger back to life, then the interview was over.
Overall a good impression, friendly folks and a great company from what I hear/read.

Interview Question – What do you think will be most difficult in your transition into this company?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, they were very up front about the salary from the beginning.