Southwest Airlines

Updated 18 Nov 2014
Updated 18 Nov 2014

2.8

Project Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in May 2014.

One phone interview with recruiter. The recruiter was very friendly. One phone interview with hiring manager. Face to face interview at corporate headquarters with recruiter, hiring manager, and another team member. The other team member didn't look at me during the entire interview which made me feel awkward and uncomfortable. Giving a negative experience because of this interviewer (non responsive or interested).

Interview Questions

I declined because I applied for a full time position, but they only offered me contract (3 to 6 months) - same pay, but no benefits. Drive too long.

Customer Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in May 2014.

Had two phone interviews and then was flown to Dallas. I was asked to write a response e-mail to a customer scenario and then did an interview with two managers. Interview was great! Both managers were super friendly and did lots to put me at ease. They were easy going and made the interview fun.

Internship Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

The interview process was very long and it went months without hearing anything from Southwest Airlines. I first submitted my resume and then they called me five months later to let me know they were interested in me and wanted to see if I would do a phone interview the next day. I then had a phone interview the very next day scheduled and it went smooth. However, two weeks later they told me that there were other people more qualified.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bwi Airport, MD (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in April 2014.

Applied for FT Customer Service Rep at DCA, about a month and a half ago. Received a phone call to phone interview on 4/14. Phone interview was very easy! Majority questions about my previous work history. At the end of the phone interview I was asked to go to BWI for a F2F interview on 4/28.
    *F2F*
    The face to face interview was very easy as well. Interviewed with the recruiter who did my phone interview. The manager from DCA was also in the room but she didn't ask any questions, just listened. The interview was very fun and relaxed. The recruiter made me feel so comfortable because she was outgoing and enthusiastic. She asked about my work history again and asked behavioral questions as well. I answered all questions in star format. At the end of the interview the recruiter and manager from DCA stepped out to make a copy of my 2 forms of ID and college transcripts. When they stepped back in the room I was offered the job! Did my fingerprints and drug test the same day. Now all I'm waiting on is my background check to clear. (Not worried about that because I'm an angel lol) Does anybody know how long the background check process is? How long before training starts? I'm really anxious and excited to start :)!

Interview Questions
    • How do you have fun at work?
      How would you tell a customer no?
        Answer Question
    Didn't try to negotiate.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Phone interviews followed by in person interviews in Dallas with recruiter and members of department you will be working in.

Interview Questions
    • Asked for specific examples of hard skills I mentioned   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Got a phone screening about three weeks after I applied. I applied on the dead line which was in October (I think)for spring semester. After talking to a HR manager on the phone I received a in person interview offer few days later. Visited them at their head quarter in Dallas. Everyone including HR people were very nice and interview was informal.

Interview Questions
    • No technical interviews particulary. Interviewed with three people, one person from HR, two people from the team I was going to work with. I am a finance major and though the job I was applying involved some software programs such as VBA, EXCEL and ACCESS they did not ask any technical questions. I had to explain how proficient I am in those skills. Interview was very welcoming and interviewers were very patient throughout the interviews. Basically they explained me what my work was going to be if I were to work there and what my team does in daily basis. Most of the questions were behavior and some typical questions such as what my favorite class was in college and if I have taken any courses that might help with the work I will be doing.   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in April 2014.

Applied online, maybe a month later got an email asking to send resume and the best phone number to be reached at. The next morning I got a phone call with simple questions about my past work experience, why Southwest, and what do customer service agents do... I'm guessing to see if you know about the position you applied for. After that she said she would give me a call in a week to let me know because she had other interviews to do but to my surprise she called me back in a couple of hours to set up a F2F interview. The interview was for the following week and I had to bring my drivers license, social security card and GED. Was a one on one interview but there was the manager sitting in the room from the airport you would be working at. Was a little nervous because she didn't ask question but she looked at you the whole time while you answered questions. Once again simple questions like why Southwest, the time you had to deal with an angry customer, and the time you went out your way to help a co worker. She also went over my work experience again. Interview only lasted about 10mins, she then made copies of my papers and let me know either way if I got the job or not I would receive a email or a phone call letting me know. They held interviews the day before and would be doing it all day that day so nobody got a straight yes or no, its just a wait and see. Either a rejection email or a email asking you to come in for fingerprints and drug test. So now I just sit and wait and hope for the best. I want the job but so do 100s of other people. I have no idea how many people they want and what kinda people they are looking for.

Interview Questions
    • I guess the only unexpected question was what was my weakness.. I had to really stop and think about it   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

they let unexperienced supervisors do the interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Sent in application and then got an email form a recruiter asking for available time for an interview and a copy of my resume. During the phone interview I had asked the interview to repeat two questions because i could not hear or understand the interviewer. For one of the questions, the interviewer said in a very quiet voice, "Oh, maybe you don't know that yet." and that one one of the questions I could not hear the interviewer at all. The interviewer quickly went to the next question after saying that. I felt that i did not go to the next phase because of that question.

Interview Questions
    • (could not hear or understand the question)   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bwi Airport, MD (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2014.

I applied online for the position soon as I seen it on their website because they don't keep their jobs posted for long. I received a email about three days later asking if i was still interested in the position, I replied but didn't hear anything back for another two weeks. I got a email asking to set up a phone interview which I did. The phone interview was about 8 mins long, she first asked me about my past jobs just to find out they time of work i did there. Then she explained the position to me and the pay rate which is only $11 something to start and she said it will take about 11 years to reach $21. I wasn't to happy to hear that but she then went on to explain that when you first start you have no set schedule you will just get the days thats left after the senior employs pick their schedule. They do have a lot of overtime for this position. About a week later i got a email asking to set up a F2F interview which I did. It was just me and the lady that I have been communicating with, she said that they was short staff and thats why because its normally her and two others giving the F2F interview. The F2F went well we just talked about my past jobs and she asked me three questions. They were very easy questions like how do you have fun on the job, how do you go out your way for a customer and how do you deal with a angry customer. Im waiting to hear back to see if I will be moving on with the hiring process which is a background check for jobs, school and criminal.

Interview Questions
    • Non of the questions was difficult just make sure you smile and be bubbly because thats what they are looking for.   Answer Question