Southwest Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Sep 13, 2014

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Sent in application and then got an email form a recruiter asking for available time for an interview and a copy of my resume. During the phone interview I had asked the interview to repeat two questions because i could not hear or understand the interviewer. For one of the questions, the interviewer said in a very quiet voice, "Oh, maybe you don't know that yet." and that one one of the questions I could not hear the interviewer at all. The interviewer quickly went to the next question after saying that. I felt that i did not go to the next phase because of that question.

Interview Questions
    • (could not hear or understand the question)   View Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in February 2014.

LA feb 2014 open house interview. 400 people showed up for open house. you had to go in front of 50 people and introduce yourself and say why you want to be FA. you have to appear very confident and happy and smile a lot. maybe 10 people got invited to F2F interview. Including the ones that crack the most jokes.

Maintenance Material Management Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2013.

Contacted after about 2 months and scheduled for a phone interview. Phone interview was very basic, asking about yourself. After that, they will fly you to Dallas for another interview. I had interview with two people and they are asking about myself. It was a very chill interview and people in Southwest are very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Asking about projects I have worked on, experience, knowledge about the software used for the job   Answer Question

Revenue Management Analyst Interview

Phone Screening interview with Recruiter then a group interview with 30+ candidates where you are asked typical interview questions. Then the group was tasked with various group challenges which measured a person's ability to interact with others. This was followed by an individual interview with 2 managers and 1 Recruiter. Final step was a group interview with a number at director level.

Interview Questions
    • We want to enter a new market. How would you determine the appropriate fare structure for this market?   Answer Question

Flight Operations Crew Scheduler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online, contacted by a recruiter 1 - 2 weeks later to set up a phone interview.
    Phone screening consisted of the recruiter outlining the position, me talking through my resume, and some casual conversation. Very relaxed, just be personable and know the position, your resume, and Southwest inside and out.
    I was also contacted for the In-Flight Crew Scheduler opening. The phone interview was a similar format, but the second was much more personality driven - the recruiter had lots of energy and was obviously looking to tap into your personality as part of the screening. (I was not contacted to interview in-person for this position, I believe due to the forthcoming offer for the other opening)
    I was contacted for an in-person interview for the Flight Ops Crew Scheduler position. They were flexible, I had to reschedule once due to my work schedule. I interviewed with the phone screening HR interviewer and the hiring manager. Similar format to the phone screening: walk me through your resume, what do you know about the position, why Southwest-type of questions. Also mixed in were some 'tell me about a time when...' questions, basically seeing how you would react in challenging situations related to the job. I must have interviewed with the same folks as the interviewee in the previous post, as the hiring manager was obviously very tired (eyes glazed, head-bob, just struggling), but knowing their schedule I gave him the benefit of the doubt and continued talking, focusing on the HR manager.
    They gave me the opportunity to ask a few questions about the position (highly recommend good, thought-out questions, they seemed to appreciate the opportunity to talk more about the opening and company), which was engaging and also brought the hiring manger back to life, then the interview was over.
    Overall a good impression, friendly folks and a great company from what I hear/read.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think will be most difficult in your transition into this company?   View Answer
    No negotiation, they were very up front about the salary from the beginning.

Senior Planning Analyst Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Started with a phone interview and then two in person interviews (3-4 people in each) followed by a job offer.

Flight Ops Crew Scheduler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2013.

I was tipped off by a friend in the crew scheduling dept that there was going to be a posting so I was eagerly waiting for it. Sure enough, it showed up and I applied. I was contacted about a week later by a recruiter, who setup a time to conduct a phone interview. The phone interview started with the recruiter asking me what I thought were the position responsibilities (be sure you research this if you don't know) and he asked me what i thought the biggest challenges in the role would be. Then he worked back through my resume, asking me to describe what I did at each airline and why I left. Southwest hires more for fit than other companies so be sure that you are modeling their company values within your experience and answers (warrior spirit, servant's heart, fun luv-ing attitude - once again, do research so that you know what those are). I thought I bombed the phone interview because I resigned in my last position and my answer wasn't as concrete as it should have been. To my surprise I was contacted a few days later via email that I made it to the face-to-face in Dallas. (They flew me out (must-ride), it was strange having a confirmed seat when I'm so used to non-revving.) Face-to-face was the recruiter and manager in the crew scheduling dept. I was completely prepared and felt calm. About 15 min into interview the manager was falling asleep. I couldn't believe it! No head bob but the eyes were glazed and lids going up and down. I wanted to laugh but instead focused my attention on the recruiter, who was awake and engaged. Face-to-face took about 35 min.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty much standard interview questions, behavioral focused questions. If you write out as many experiences where you went out of your way to help a customer, went above and beyond what is required, took initiative, made a quick decision, found a new solution, etc you will be able to answer any of the behavioral questions fairly easily with an example.   Answer Question

Culture Activities Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 8 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in April 2013.

You submit an application online about 9 months before the semester that you are applying for. A few months later I was asked for an essay about "why southwest." Then more waiting and I got called from hr for a phone interview, I was then asked to interview in person. They flew me to Dallas. About a week later I was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked open ended behavioral questions that would be hard if you dont have specific examples. Know your story!   Answer Question
    None

Ramp Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2013.

I applied online and then about 5 days later I get an unexpected phone call from them. Just like that I had a phone interview on my hands. A week goes by and a recruiter finally contacts me and sets up a face to face interview. I honestly think it went very good and smooth....we hsraed some laughs and I tried showing them I'm good to work with and down to earth.

I'm now currently waiting to see if I made it any further.....the recruiter has gone on a 2 week vacation (for the holidays), so if anything I may hear until January 2, 2014.....which makes sense because she did say if I get the position that I would get started in mid-January. (Hence giving me a 2 week notice chance)....but I'll have to wait and see.

Interview Questions
    • From all the airlines available to work in, why Southwest?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

The process took a day - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in February 2013.

The interview was pretty easy, they asked questions involving how southwest was doing internally and i had to apply math skills to their questions. think on your feet and practice by watching analyst videos on youtube and also read on what sw is doing financially in any magazines and newspapers

Interview Questions
    • Be sure to be confident, respond to answers quickly, show your thinking process to solves questions they might ask you   Answer Question