Southwest Airlines

Relevance Date Difficulty

Internship Interview

Internship

Interviewed at Southwest Airlines

Interview Details two rounds: one phone interview and one face to face

Interview Question – Behavioral questions   Answer Question

Ramp Agent Interview

Ramp Agent
Boston, MA (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in June 2013.

Interview Details Spoke with a station representative (in my case, the station manager; others spoke with ramp supervisors) and we discussed the position and what it entails. Asked general interview questions.

Interview Question – What can you bring to our LUV family?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none- CBA

Director Interview

Director
Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview Details I was initially approached by Southwest to become an Employee through my relationship that I had working for a vendor of Southwest. When I was brought in to interview, it lasted about half a day, and included interviews with the VP for whom I would be working, the VP of the People Department, and 2 other directors in my department. All in all it was a positive experience, and very non-threatening.

One of the things that was not ever shared with me through the process, however, was the impact of not starting until after January 1. You see, things like profit sharing are awarded to those who are Employees as of December 31. I started the first week in January, and missed an entire year's worth of profit sharing (and at the time Southwest was giving double-digit profit sharing) because I was not informed or told about that caveat.

Interview Question – The most complicated question was providing an example of when I had something go horribly wrong, and what I did I do in response.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not have much ability to negotiate. I was unable to get any type of pay raise with the new position and was told that my current salary was the best they could do.

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2012.

Interview Details Hiring process went very fast. I was called for tefonic interview, 2 days later I was called in for in-person interview. I have beeing called in for in-person interview twice so far but did not go through :( Questions were mostly behavioral and situational, and very specific to the tasks handled a per resume.

Interview Question – What is your opinion on the latest Air Trans and SWA merger/acquisition. How would you forecast for maybe 1 year ? On what parameters ?   View Answer

Customer Service Agent Interview

Customer Service Agent
Linthicum, MD (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in May 2010.

Interview Details Job openings are posted around 5am & are taken down usually by 9am, when they've received the number of applicants whose resumes they can evaluate that day. When applying, if you don't answer the multiple-choice questions the way they want, you won't be considered for the position. A recruiter there actually told me to lie, just to get past the automated system's filter.
After you find an open listing, apply in time & answer the questions correctly, a recruiter will call you (within about 4-7 days) for a brief phone interview with extremely basic questions. After you pass that stage, you'll be emailed, asking that you go to the company's regional People Department for a formal interview. The People Department can be 100s of miles from the airport where you'd be working, & you (the applicant) are responsible for any costs or travel incurred because of the interview.
Next, you'll meet with a member of the People Department for a face-to-face interview. It's critical to be punctual, appear extremely upbeat, eager, & able to handle any challenges Southwest's customers could throw at you. It helps to remember the 3 values that Southwest prides themselves on: servant's heart, warrior spirit, & fun-loving attitude.
The recruiter didn't give any indication of whether or not he would recommend I be hired. I found out later that since the background check can take about 3 weeks, they don't tell you anything until they make sure you don't have a criminal past. Roughly 3 weeks after the interview, I got a call saying I was hired. They usually hire several people at once, so that they can all train together. They'll give you one or two dates to start on. I think the first one was about a week away. I said I needed to give my other job 2 weeks notice, so I took the 2nd start date that he mentioned. I was given the impression that if neither of the dates they offered worked for me, that they would retract the job offer.
After I was hired, I was told that statistically, it's easier to get accepted to Harvard University than it is to get hired by Southwest (because sooooo many people apply & don't make it).

Interview Question – Are you SURE that you've never committed a felony or misdemeanor?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation: it's a union job, so everyone has the same starting rate. Raises are by seniority, never merit-based.

Very Easy Interview

Media Specialist Interview

Media Specialist
Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview Details Fair and highly professional.

Interview Question – I didn't have one   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Simple and real.

Very Difficult Interview

Aircraft Mechanic Interview

Aircraft Mechanic
Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in August 2013.

Interview Details I submit my application online two months latter they call me and give me a phone interview then one week latter i went to the southwest headquarters to take a skills test after pass the test they fly me to the face to face interview , the interview was really hard because was infront 3 Sw maintenance managers and 1 HR guy

Interview Question – They ask me alot of technical cuestions about the 737 flap system and 717 landing gear   Answer Question

Communications Intern Interview

Communications Intern
Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in May 2012.

Interview Details The application was pretty simple. I had a phone interview which lasted no more than 15 minutes. Then I was brought for an in-person interview.

Interview Question – Which semester was your hardest semester in college and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It wasn't negotiable for interns. We get paid hourly.

Customer Representative Interview

Customer Representative
Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2010.

Interview Details applied online about 2 weeks later received an email saying respond within 48 hours for a telephone interview. After passing telephone interview you are then set up with a face to face interview, was offered job on the spot pending background and drug test. First day you are flown down to Dallas for 2 days to learn culture of southwest and orientation plus, ID pictures are taken. Fun process you will be very excited! I was at least!

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for southwest Airlines   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation Reservations is apart of the IAM union your raises are negotiated already

Senior Manager Advertising Interview

Senior Manager Advertising

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in July 2013.

Interview Details Interviewer had decided that I was over qualified for the position

Interview Question – Why apply for the position?   Answer Question