Staples

Getting the Interview

482 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Team Supervisor Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Staples.

Interview Details I went in and spoke with the Operations Manager (a position that doesn't exist at many stores today due to company restructuring) at the store about any open positions. He set me up an interview the next week with the Sales manager. I was 16 at the time, and they had to get approval from the regional vice president to hire me. That took a few weeks and then I came in to do paperwork.

Interview Question – Entry level job, I wasn't really asked a lot of behavioral questions or scenarios. They were more trying to get to know me as a person. Asked what clubs and activities I was a part of, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much negotiation, there is an experience rate and a no experience rate. I had no experience, so I got the no experience rate. It's the same way today, there is rarely a special hire who gets paid more than the set rates.

Sales Associate Staples Interview

Jericho, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Staples in August 2012.

Interview Details Extensive online application with many job related questions regarding sales and customer service. Took about one hour to complete.

Interview Question – What do you bring to the company?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Just really negotiated my hours with the manager. I got the interview after receiving a call back from a manager.

Saes Interview

Interviewed at Staples

Interview Details OK, 3 interview process; Internal recruiters involved.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Staples   View Answer

Copy Center Associate Interview

Keene, NH (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Staples.

Interview Details Interview was fine. I was experienced previously and had no problems. Got along with GM great.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Broomfield, CO (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Staples in July 2012.

Interview Details I was recruited somewhat surreptitiously at lunch with a friend and colleague who happened to work at Staples. He brought along a senior manager and a director to wear me down. They already knew my skills and capabilities from past working relationships. They sold me on what their group was trying to achieve and why I was important to their plans. They also made the case for Staples being a well-established, well-funded, relatively secure employer.

Interview Question – "Can you just sign here, please?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Shoot high on job level and compensation. Advancement opportunity is limited so you will need to be happy with what you negotiated for a couple years.

Copy & Print Center Associate Interview

Campbell, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Staples in February 2012.

Interview Details Submitted application online and also went through training prior to showing up to interview. Online training for Copy & Print associates consists of taking tests based on how you should market products towards customers that would enhance their experience. Had a brief interview of about 30 minutes and got offered the job right away. Interview consists usually of asking about availability, relevant experience, customer service experience and what your goals are

Interview Question – How do you handle difficult customers that want too much?   Answer Question

Certified On-Site Technician Interview

Madison, NJ (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Staples in March 2013.

Interview Details All applications are submitted online. You upload a resume and take a personality test. The personality test just tells Staples how willing you are to bend over backwards for them. A day after I submitted my application I was called to schedule my first interview which was with the Assistant Manager. He asked some pretty basic technology questions as well as asked about previous experiences with customers. I was immediately scheduled an interview for an interview with the General manager of the store. This interview was the same as the one with the Assistant Manager. After the interview he had me take a knowledge test. It kind of reminded me of a very outdated A+ exam.

Interview Question – The "hardest" part was the outdated computer knowledge test.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. You have two options, accept the offer they give you or look for another job.

Production Associate Interview

Montgomery, NY (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Staples in December 2010.

Interview Details I filled out the application at the warehouse location and got a call back within a week. I showed up and there were 3 other people there. HR was very nice. We had a test that had simple math skills.

Interview Question – Didn't have and interview. Just had a simple math assessment that had to be passed.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No, the pay was 11.40 and i accepted happily.

Staples EasyTech Expert Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Staples.

Interview Details All applications are submitted online, if you want an interview you should be persistent by calling the store and asking to speak with a manager to make sure they have seen/pulled your resume. First interview is typically with one of the two assistant store managers. That manager will then decide if your going to get a second interview with the Store Manager.

Recommended speaking point for the first interview would be: preach customer service, always ready to engage customers, enjoys working in team environment.

Second interview with store manager is simply to confirm what the first manager thought, repeat the same speaking points plus your own obvious positive spin and you will do fine.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected, nothing difficult   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Staples in January 2010.

Interview Details Initial contact - HR recruiter set up interview with a GM who filled in for then vacationing DM.
2nd interview with DM

Interview Question – Was not really any difficult or unexpected questions. How do I motivate employees, how do I drive customer service, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – First offer was above my current job at that time. Made a counter offer based on increased amount of work hours and travel expenses and got about half the difference.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Staples

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Staples interview questions and advice. All 482 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Staples employees and interview candidates.